How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-08-2004
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally posted by faust@Aug 11 2004, 10:50 AM
I'd generally take a stroll in Le Marais, and I'm sure Helena will advise you to do the same. I don't know if you need shoes, but Stephane Kelian (on Champes Elysee (sp?)) prices are half of what they are in the US. Hmm, I don't know that much about shopping in Paris, come to think of it I always ask salespeople in stores.

I hope Lena reads your post, she knows Paris well. Also, search the forums, it's been discussed before.

Now, if you were stopping in Antwerp, I'd tell you EVERYTHING
[snapback]328293[/snapback]

It's not so much places that I'm thinking of, it's pieces - things for me to buy rather than places to go. The Marais has Leclairuer but Helena doesn't like that for reasons I won't go into Other than that it's mainly women's shops in the Marais.

Faust, speaking of antwerp, have you seens any dries pieces thar you like? I don't go for the other Belgians much (sorry!) althoug I do have a great Ann D sweater in organce cotton/cashmere, that I got from Leclariuer actually, about three years ago, which is really nice.

11-08-2004
desire, undefined

how do you like secondhand and vintage stores ?

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally posted by Fashionism@Aug 11 2004, 11:05 AM
how do you like secondhand and vintage stores ?
[snapback]328306[/snapback]

Erm, I have to confess that I'm not so big on those.

11-08-2004
desire, undefined

all right. i thought that. i won't bother you with any addresses right now then. i'll be thinking ..

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny@Aug 11 2004, 10:57 AM
Faust, speaking of antwerp, have you seens any dries pieces thar you like? I don't go for the other Belgians much (sorry!) althoug I do have a great Ann D sweater in organce cotton/cashmere, that I got from Leclariuer actually, about three years ago, which is really nice.
[snapback]328301[/snapback]
No, lately my style has shifted from Dries to edgier/rockier stuff that Ann D, Les Hommes, Raf Simons, Hedi Slimane produce. But I used to like his stuff a lot, and still have plenty of it in my closet that I'll never part with. I would love to own a Dries scarf - I think it's a staple in any wardrobe. I still like his women's clothes a lot, very light and romantic. Also, I'm always a sucker for good embroidery, and noone does it like Dries. Have you looked into Veronique Branqhuino's men's line she launched a year ago? I think it might suit your style, but she has fitting issues (at least for me). Also, looks like the reborn McQueen line is nice, but you don't have to leave your country for that

I remember we had a discussion on the Pressing Shop, a new store in Paris, you might want to search for that.

11-08-2004
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally posted by faust@Aug 11 2004, 11:14 AM
No, lately my style has shifted from Dries to edgier/rockier stuff that Ann D, Les Hommes, Raf Simons, Hedi Slimane produce. But I used to like his stuff a lot, and still have plenty of it in my closet that I'll never part with. I would love to own a Dries scarf - I think it's a staple in any wardrobe. I still like his women's clothes a lot, very light and romantic. Also, I'm always a sucker for good embroidery, and noone does it like Dries. Have you looked into Veronique Branqhuino's men's line she launched a year ago? I think it might suit your style, but she has fitting issues (at least for me). Also, looks like the reborn McQueen line is nice, but you don't have to leave your country for that

I remember we had a discussion on the Pressing Shop, a new store in Paris, you might want to search for that.
[snapback]328317[/snapback]

Dries and Margiela are no only other designers i really look at these days, although I find that Margiela is quite dull. I like Dior but don't have any. It seems too expensive to me, and I'm just not thin enough or young enough to carry it off. Having said that, he has done some great grey coats this season I think, but again they are likely to be too much for me (in price terms). I have looked at VB, but it does seem very fitted (I assume that is your fit problem). It looks a bit to keenly retro to me. I may have a look though. Also I quite liked Martine Sitbon's menswear but i don't know if she even does it any more. They had it in G Lafayette.

Thanks

PS. I got a lovely Dries scarf this spring, you're right about them. Actually a new one for winter will def be on my potentials list for Paree!

11-08-2004
flaunt the imperfection..

i like this from dries... ...but you know i dig the collegiate look...maybe it has something to so with the fact that my father is a professor...hmmm...should i be worried...

Last edited by softgrey; 26-05-2007 at 05:15 PM.
11-08-2004
flaunt the imperfection..

we don't know your wordrobe that well johnny...you don't post on the what are you wearing thread very often...i wouldn't really know what else to recommend....

11-08-2004
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Aug 11 2004, 11:51 AM
we don't know your wordrobe that well johnny...you don't post on the what are you wearing thread very often...i wouldn't really know what else to recommend....
[snapback]328352[/snapback]

Fair comment. The outfit you posted was nice. I like the trousers.

11-08-2004
kit
tfs star

While you are in GALERIES LAFAYETTE , please look out for the re-born MONTANA line , for men .

It COULD be good .

If you see it , please report back .

KIT

PS

Pop into JEAN CLAUDE JITROIS on the Rue du Fourbourg St. Honore , to see the most exquisite couture leather clothes for both men and women .

If you are in the Place des Victoires area , you MUST take in MARITHE ET FRANCOIS GIRBAUD , at 38 Rue Etienne Marcel , and I feel SURE you will be tempted by a pair of their quirky and idiosyncratic jeans .

11-08-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny@Aug 11 2004, 11:49 AM
PS. I got a lovely Dries scarf this spring, you're right about them. Actually a new one for winter will def be on my potentials list for Paree!
[snapback]328349[/snapback]
If you can find/make a picture of it, I'd love to see it.

11-08-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Aug 11 2004, 11:51 AM
[snapback]328352[/snapback]
hint, hint

11-08-2004
backstage pass

My two cents..I would get something that screams FRENCH!!!!!!!! or at least PARISIAN!!!!!!!!. I would get something culturally relavent. Look at the chic or hip women there. WHAT ARE THEY WEARING!!!! WHAT BAGS ARE THEY CARRYING? And more importantly HOW ARE THEY WEARING IT? The French or more specifically the Parisians budget on clothes are half that of Americans yet they look (generally. with excptions of course) more pulled together than we do. They don't buy JUNK or anything trendy! They don't have the money to throw away by buying something that is in style for only a season. If it's not gonna be stylish for at least 5 years, they don't buy it . That being said I would avoid anything I can get in the states unless it's at least 50% cheaper than the states

11-08-2004
backstage pass

I love Jean-Claude Jitrois. Pity Thierry Mugler had to stop designing.

Also go the Dunhill on Rue de la Paix, and the E.Goyard on Rue St-Honore.

Charles Baudelaire
12-08-2004
El Viaje Definitivo

Paul Harnden at L'Eclaireur?
(his shoes are also sold at CDG aoyama, and the jkt is similar in form to hommeplus in some way)

or Jack Henry (54, rue des Rosiers for mens, 1, rue Montmartre for womens)

Let the stars decide
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
paris, shopping