How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-08-2004
El Viaje Definitivo

Quote:
Originally posted by faust@Aug 17 2004, 11:09 AM
Thanks. I saw similar Menichetti boots in Barneys - very nice!
[snapback]335556[/snapback]
no problem, I heard Menichetti is to open his flagship store in NYC.
do you think of any likely building now under construction?

Let the stars decide

18-08-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by runner@Aug 18 2004, 10:01 AM
no problem, I heard Menichetti is to open his flagship store in NYC.
do you think of any likely building now under construction?
[snapback]337074[/snapback]
I haven't seen anything, and I am a regular pedestrian in Soho, Tribeca, Meatpacking district during my lunch breaks. What is the history of the brand? You are the first one that mentioned it. If I know a little bit about the brand I could guess where they would open the store.

18-08-2004
El Viaje Definitivo

this is the first season of this label.
it seems that Richard B. Fisher, Chairman Emeritus of Morgan Stanley, bankrolls Menichetti.

Let the stars decide
18-08-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by runner@Aug 18 2004, 11:07 AM
this is the first season of this label.
it seems that Richard B. Fisher, Chairman Emeritus of Morgan Stanley, bankrolls Menichetti.
[snapback]337171[/snapback]
do you know who designs and what their designing credo is? If it's bankrolled by Morgan Stanley, I'd say it will be uptwon on Madison. Are they going for a Bergdorf Goodman type customer (the ones who buy Loro Piana, etc.) or for a younger crowd? From what little I saw it could go both ways.

18-08-2004
El Viaje Definitivo

just found this.

Quote:
MENICHETTI'S AGE OF AQUARIUS

BURBERRY'S former creative director Roberto Menichetti is preparing to take the fashion world by storm solo. The 37-year-old designer, who resigned from Burberry in 2001 after overseeing the launch of the tide-changing high-end Prorsum line, will debut his own line during New York Fashion Week on February 10. After three years at the British house, Menichetti spent one season with Cerruti before deciding to find backing for his own business. And now he is back with what is thought to be several million dollars in investment from Richard Fischer, chairman emeritus of Morgan Stanley. "There is no lack of talent [in the fashion industry], but we felt that the people here and the business plan were very compelling," Fischer told Women's Wear Daily. "Aside from his ideal background and success stories, Roberto understands complicated financial matters. He has a good business mind." Formerly head of Jil Sander's design team and prot馮・to Claude Montana in the late Eighties, Menichetti has clearly been biding his time before going it alone. "I'm happy to be entering the fashion world with my project at this moment," says the New York-born Italian. "We've entered the Age of Aquarius and I feel that the world is changing." And he is unerringly tactical in his business plan. "I believe in union with individuality," he says. "My staff is like a rugby team, where the players move forward in a line, one linked to the other. That's how you win." In the lead-up to his new launch, Menichetti was reintroduced to New York society last week at a party thrown by his financiers at the home of Paul Nurse, president of Rockefeller University. Guests included Anna Wintour and Shelby Bryan. (February 2 2004, AM)
vogue.co.uk

Let the stars decide
18-08-2004
El Viaje Definitivo

Quote:
NEW YORK, 2? 10, 2004 – He’s raced a motorcycle across Africa, he’s studied philosophy in Tibet and India, and his hair reaches halfway down his back—but Roberto Menichetti is also a very serious businessman with one of the more solid résumés in the industry. He spent five years as the head of Jil Sander’s design team, launched Burberry’s apparel collection and designed it for three years, and put in a season at Cerruti.
“We were thinking, What are the needs of this new generation?” said Menichetti, at the low-key presentation of his new signature label. “They live in a world that’s more of the senses, and less of the mind.” Refining that vision over almost two years, Menichetti, a minimalist at heart, has pared things down as much as possible. “No jeans line, no secondary line,” he explained. “You have everything here. A simple sweatshirt, next to a T-shirt, next to a cashmere sweater. This is how people dress now. It’s all about versatility.” It’s also about clean lines, luxurious Italian fabrics, and a simple mix-and-match palette of white, black, khaki, indigo blue, and pink. Now that he’s back behind the wheel, Menichetti is raring to go: His 5-year plan includes footwear, fragrance, even home. Stay tuned.

– Janet Ozzard
style.com

Let the stars decide
18-08-2004
V.I.P.

This has Madison Avenue written all over it. No wonder I haven't seen the store being built, I rarely go uptown.

23-09-2004
flaunt the imperfection

hi.. ok...so all the other threads have been deleted...if anyone has any tips for me while i'm in paris...especially in la marais...i'd appreciate it...

i'd like shops-consignment, vintage, designer, shoes...
and cafe's...
will only have a weekend...so just time for highlights...

thanks in advance...

23-09-2004
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Sep 23 2004, 03:56 PM
hi.. ok...so all the other threads have been deleted...if anyone has any tips for me while i'm in paris...especially in la marais...i'd appreciate it...

i'd like shops-consignment, vintage, designer, shoes...
and cafe's...
will only have a weekend...so just time for highlights...
thanks in advance...
[snapback]373863[/snapback]

OK softgrey - here's some random tips:-

Try Erotokritos shop in the Marais - I think Rue de vieux temple. There's an APC shop there too. Also, Zadig & Voltaire, just across from Issey and Muji, all in the Marais. I'm fairly sure you'll know about all of these but anyway...you'll also know about L'Eclairuer - the women's shop is great. Great selection of Dyptyque candles too. In centre - obviously Vanessa Bruno on the Rue Castiglione. Round corner for tea or chocolat afrcain at Angelinas. You need, of course, to go to CDG on the Rue de Faubourg St Honore - go into Prada on the way up, some really beautiful coats and brooches. On the left bank, moer V Bruno on Rue St Sulpice - also sit in Place St Sulpice - it's so lovely. Just off there's an italian restaurant, Santa Lucia, great pizzas and salads. Go at lunchtime to see the left bank ladies and gents. Also in St Germain, Y's and Yohji fairly close to one another, just round corner from Miu Miu.

We did all this in a weekend so I'm sure you can too!

23-09-2004
flaunt the imperfection

thank you thank you johnny....i actually haven't been a few years and i'm blanking on everything...also when i'm there i am sometimes too busy with work to get out much...i really don't know la marais at all...so this is a HUGE help...

xx...

where else is good for people watching???....that sounds very very fun...

23-09-2004
flaunt the imperfection

i alos really like bistro food...any recommendations there would be great!!!

23-09-2004
trendsetter

You're very welcome softgrey.

For people watching...in fashion week, I think the best place is Colette. We were there last march in AW week, and it was mad mad mad! Good fun though. The bookshop in the Palais de Tokyo is good too. Angelinas is GREAT for people watching - you need to go there. Or sit at one of the cafes on the B'd St Germain. For proper fun though take a walk up the Rue St Denis - sex shop/red light district. During the day it's not really intimidating at all, just good for freak watching!

I don't really know about Bistro food, but for Brasserie food - by which I mean traditional French menus - try Bofinger near the Bastille or La Coupole in Montparnasse (where they had the comme and junya shows for this winter's collections for men!). La Coupole in particular is great fun, quite touristy I suppose, but still some proper parisiennes (when I was there last the man beside me refused his steak twice because it wasn't "blu" enough! )

There are some good restaurants around the Bastille/St Paul area, near the Marais too.

God I wish I was in Paris. Instead of being in the office again at 1.15 am!

You should give us a report when you're back SG

24-09-2004
flaunt the imperfection

thanks again johnny...i know...i was wondering what you were doing online at that hour...i admire your work ethic....

24-09-2004
Swim Upstream

Softgrey - the Marais - best shops on Rue des Francs Bourgeois - theres a shop called Abou d'abi Bazaar that you might like (good for mid-priced fRench labels). There are also a couple of nice house-y shops. The Marais is definately the place to go on sunday - the Musee de Carnevalet (on the same street)is really good. There are some really good schwarma/falafel rest's on Rue des Rosiers. Also the Pressing Shop might now be open. The Marais is really confusing so best just to wander around. Watch the shop assistants in L'eclaireur though - serious heavy sell. I came out 400E poorer!

Printemps is good for fashion as is Le Bon Marche (on the left bank) - they have a young talent section upstairs. The best bit about Le Bon Marche however is the furniture section - TO DIE FOR!

When are you going?

People-watching is brilliant anywhere! You can play 'spot the smallest dog' almost everywhere in the place.

24-09-2004
flaunt the imperfection

spot the smallest dog...

will be in paris weekend of oct 22...if all goes as planned...
will be in london starting on oct 15th

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
paris, shopping