How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-08-2011
front row

Paris, are there fabric outlets or other places for a fashion designer?
Hi,

I'm going to Paris for Premiere Vision in September and was wondering are there any must visit places in Paris for a fashion designer? Something like fabric outlets that sell cheap fabric, or something else? Please reveal your best kept secrets You can PM me if you don't want the whole world to know your secrets.. Any other suggestions are greatly apreciated!

TIA!

10-08-2011
front row

Hi juzuxel,

When I lived in Paris, one of my professors pointed out an area in Montmartre at the bottom of Sacre Coeur by Anvers that has an incredible assortment of inexpensive and large fabric stores. Marché Saint-Pierre (2 Rue Charles Nodier) and Tissus Reine (5 Place St Pierre) are the two largest and most prominent in the area.

Another fun place to visit for a fashion insider is the Passage du Caire in the 2nd arrondissement. All the passages are fun to visit as they date from the Belle Epoque time period of the 19th century, but the Passage du Caire (and the area around it) is a really weird assortment of whole sale clothing and mannequins/display models for sale:

moniquetdany.typepad.fr

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Geostud; 10-08-2011 at 05:41 PM.
15-10-2011
fashion insider

I just want to add for those coming to paris from other countries and don't know the place well, it's at the bottom of the stairs going to the sacré coeur, and you should be careful going around there especially being a tourist, there are gangs that wait around and tie bracelets to your wrist without asking and will make you pay for it even if you tell them you don't want it. There are also pick pockets and street gamblers.

It's not the most dangerous place on earth but you should keep your eye open in Monmartre...

15-10-2011
backstage pass

You should keep your eyes open on most streets in Paris!
I personally am not a fan of Marché Saint-Pierre; their service is awful and the selection disappointing. But there are many smaller fabric shops in the area that are great! If you find your way to Saint-Pierre, there are fabric shops everywhere.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
designer, fabric, fashion, outlets, paris, places