How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-08-2004
backstage pass

I always feel like I may miss out on something if I don't go.

Once, at the Helmut Lang sample sale (Whatever happend to those) I scored a pair of pants in my size, in perfect condition for $60.

I'll still go and I'll be sure to scout the women's areas and post up any interesting finds tomorow.

17-08-2004
backstage pass

Here's a recap of the VIP day Soft from FWD.

Quote:
Prada Grab Bag
Buyer beware...at Prada's sample sale, there's a 3-handbag limit!

NEW YORK: Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Yesterday, it was one for all—or rather, a free for all—as editors from Allure to Vogue gathered on the first day of the highly anticipated Prada sample sale—that was, if you could find the building. Elle accessories director, Ellyn Chestnut, was spotted pacing up and down East 57th Street, searching for the Fuller Building locale with the help of a fellow editor via cell phone. “I’m not coming from the office,” the jeans-and-jacket clad editor volunteered of her casual outfit. That seemed to be the case for many, as they came prepared to strip down to their skivvies and tank tops in the hopes of snagging a must-have look at a bargain-basement price.

Inside—bearing resemblance to one of Amy Sacco’s fashion week parties at Bungalow 8—cell phones and Blackberry’s went off and the shopping commenced. “All I need is my DJ in here,” the nighttime hostess joked. Sacco arrived early and hit the handbags first, snagging close to a dozen pieces before being informed ever-so-gently by an attendee that the limit was three handbags per person. “Only three!” she exclaimed, pouting ever so slightly. “What am I going to do?” Well, for one thing, pass the goodies along to friends like fellow attendee and PR guru Nadine Johnson, which was exactly what she did and second, stock up on shoes instead. Teen Vogue editor in chief Amy Astley, looking as perfectly coiffed as she does sitting front row at the Marc Jacobs fashion show, rifled through the racks of clothes, her manicured fingers sifting through the hangers with surely the same precision and skill as the hair stylist who cuts her razor-sharp bangs. “Yes, no, yes, not for me,” she said to herself, before departing with an armload of goodies, including one pair of leather-and-croc gloves.

Over on the men’s side, Harper’s Bazaar accessories director Danya Unterhalter took control of a full-length mirror and donned a layered green dress from the spring 2004 collection while fellow accessories editor Carolyn Tate Angel stood adjacent, trying on her own pile of wears. The Elle team—fashion director Nina Garcia, fashion news director Anne Slowey, style director Isabel Dupré and associate market editor Joann Pailey—all arrived together and were greeted by editor in chief Roberta “Robbie” Myers, who spent the bulk of her time checking out the leathers and exotic-skinned pieces. Marie Claire fashion director Tracy Taylor snagged one of the sought-after tie-dye pieces—a red, white, and blue button-down shirt. “It’s a bit too big,” she said, holding it up to her petite frame. “But that’s what a good tailor’s for.” GQ fashion editor Brian Coats scored with a shirt and a jacket, but was disappointed he didn’t find more. “I really came prepared to shop,” he said, giving the men’s department one last look before heading to the registers. J. Mendel PR director Lauren Davis, who arrived back to New York from Croatia the morning of the sale, was refreshed and ready to shop. “What does it mean when the ticket has a blue dot on it?” she asked. “That means it’s ten percent off,” shouted back another eager shopper. “What did you say? It’s $110?” Davis exclaimed back, mishearing.

Even fashion plate and actress Rashida Jones—accompanied by her mom, Peggy Lipton—showed up to get their shop on. Jones was happily shopping along, making her way from rack to rack, when she realized she had misplaced her yellow Marni top, which was accessorized with a major bling-bling diamond broach. Trying to stay calm, she said to herself, “It’s the only item in here without a tag, so I’ve got to be able to find it.” Thankfully, she did.

Allure editor in chief Linda Wells, looking weather-ready in a monogrammed Louis Vuitton trenchcoat and matching Suhali bag, arrived at 3:30PM on the dot, just as the crowd began to die down. Haley Binn, wife of Niche Media Magazines publisher Jason Binn, was dropped off at the sale by a girlfriend, having come straight from the Hamptons, and opted to go with some peep-toed shoes and a couple of fall-worthy bags after spending two hours at the sale. “I spent a fairly reasonable amount this time around,” she said enthusiastically. “But what I spent this time was nothing compared to the first time Jason and I came—we’re talking five figures then. But Jason specifically said not to buy him a thing this time around, which was fine because that means all the more for me.” And just how much did the first day bring in? Judging from one register—which broke down temporarily after ringing an endless number of sales—not too disappointing. “I had one woman spend $3,000 today, and she said she was coming back for more,” commented one cashier.

Others spotted in the crowd: New York magazine editor in chief Adam Moss, fashion director Harriet Mays Powell and contributing editor Jacob Bernstein, Burberry PR director John Cross, Gotham/Hamptons vice chairman Cristina Greeven Cuomo, In Style accessories director Alice Kim, People managing editor Martha Nelson, Maxim market editor Maria Ruocco, and Vogue associate market editor Karla Martinez and fashion assistant Ethel Park.

17-08-2004
flaunt the imperfection

mmm...thanks...so yeah...that was all spring...
so crazy to think of being in a room with linda wells in her underwear...i don't think i want to go there...

17-08-2004
flaunt the imperfection

hmm...where was the lucky crew, W and glamour...cause i'm sure they must have gone too...

17-08-2004
front row

Is there any other way to get in this weekend? I'm still temped to go, but the reservations are full for the days I'll be in NYC and I can't make an appointment on the website.

rising star

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Aug 17 2004, 05:56 PM
i KNEW it...figures...complete waste of time...i'm not going...
[snapback]336144[/snapback]
Well.. I was also there last year.. what was funny was the earliest appointment I could go in was a week after their sale. That very day went 70% off.. which is pretty great. I picked up 4 pants, 1 wallet, few underwear, one swimwear, keychain for like $350. Not bad I thought

My friend got this Miu Miu leather jacket for $75. It was like $5000. He totally love it..... well. he is the one who could fit in.. I can't even fit it in..

Overall.. I think that men definitely have more left over than women.. although women has much more variety.. not much shoes left nor accessories.. but I also agree that a lot of junk there.. which ACTUALLY really turned me off on Prada.

I used to be a loyal fan, but seen what junks out there and they still willing to sell it at sample sale(because they think that can't ruin their reputation, WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!) kind of disgusted me... Thinking that I used to be willing to pay $350 for a pair of pants and I can get it for $50 at sample sale... ugh..

Not only that.. Prada is a billion(did I say BILLION???!!!! go check the Forbes wealthies 500 billionare, she is ranked 50 or something!!!) dollar money generating machine and they still suck every penny out of people kind of ughs me... I mean I am still a sucker for that red Prada sport tag.. but it really makes me think twice about who I want to give my money to!!!

Just a thought!!!

18-08-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by ionn24@Aug 17 2004, 09:10 PM
Well.. I was also there last year.. what was funny was the earliest appointment I could go in was a week after their sale. That very day went 70% off.. which is pretty great. I picked up 4 pants, 1 wallet, few underwear, one swimwear, keychain for like $350. Not bad I thought

My friend got this Miu Miu leather jacket for $75. It was like $5000. He totally love it..... well. he is the one who could fit in.. I can't even fit it in..

Overall.. I think that men definitely have more left over than women.. although women has much more variety.. not much shoes left nor accessories.. but I also agree that a lot of junk there.. which ACTUALLY really turned me off on Prada.

I used to be a loyal fan, but seen what junks out there and they still willing to sell it at sample sale(because they think that can't ruin their reputation, WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!) kind of disgusted me... Thinking that I used to be willing to pay $350 for a pair of pants and I can get it for $50 at sample sale... ugh..

Not only that.. Prada is a billion(did I say BILLION???!!!! go check the Forbes wealthies 500 billionare, she is ranked 50 or something!!!) dollar money generating machine and they still suck every penny out of people kind of ughs me... I mean I am still a sucker for that red Prada sport tag.. but it really makes me think twice about who I want to give my money to!!!

Just a thought!!!
[snapback]336479[/snapback]
Prada's quality is simply subpar. It's a big conglomerate, they are all about the money, cutting costs, maximizing profit margin. A big part of their rift with Jil Sander was over quality of fabrics, which Jil Sander is known for and wouldn't compromise. Helmut Lang's quality is not the best either.

18-08-2004
backstage pass

I just came back from the sale.

I didn't purchase anything.

The mens shoe rack was very limited, mainly size 9s left. Hardly any Miu Mius, which was my hope. There were about 4 racks of women's shoes, and I gave it a cursory glance and didn't see anything that was really that special. I noticed a pair of croc sandals for $800, and some boots here and there, but the pickings were defintely slim.

As for mens clothing, they still had few racks left. Mainly thick wool pants from the fall collection and I saw one of the spring argyle sweaters. Nice, but not for $325. Some suits as well. A decent selection of Miu Miu shirts. They had a mens white leather jacket which was interesting, but at $8000, I could see why it was still on the rack. Sorry, I didn't really sort through the womens clothing (which is the biggest section). I saw a few of the womens jackets as well, not too bad, but nothing to be spending over $1000 on.

Hardly any handbags left. Sorry ladies. Shelf after shelf was empty. They did have a bunch of these pouch type bags....looked like it was pretty inexpensive in a variety of pastel colors (green, pink and yellow). They did have one of the mens suede carryall bags (the one's that had the umbrella) from fall. It was $681.

The cheapest thing was some sort of womens legwarmer/trouser type item? At first I thought it was a scarf, but there were tons of these in the $25 bin.

I wouldn't say it was complete junk but the pricepoints were just too high for my tastes. Plus, I just can't see the great appeal of Prada clothing...maybe that's just me though.

I actually think those of you who have an appointment next week should keep your appt and go, that's when they take more drastic markdowns.

18-08-2004
backstage pass

nm

18-08-2004
flaunt the imperfection

thanks theory...that's great of you to give us the scoop...much appreciated...

18-08-2004
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally posted by faust@Aug 18 2004, 11:36 AM
Prada's quality is simply subpar.* It's a big conglomerate, they are all about the money, cutting costs, maximizing profit margin.* A big part of their rift with Jil Sander was over quality of fabrics, which Jil Sander is known for and wouldn't compromise.* Helmut Lang's quality is not the best either.
[snapback]337198[/snapback]
Blame Patrizio Bertelli for that. The Jil Sander store in San Francisco, and South Coast closed.

The Jil Sander in S.F. used to be one of the most exclusive shops.

That makes Jil Sander a hero in my eye.

Charles Baudelaire
19-08-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Incroyable@Aug 18 2004, 08:29 PM
Blame Patrizio Bertelli for that. The Jil Sander store in San Francisco, and South Coast closed.

The Jil Sander in S.F. used to be one of the most exclusive shops.

That makes Jil Sander a hero in my eye.
[snapback]337835[/snapback]
Are you sure?! I was in SF 3 months ago, it was still there (in that little alley by Union Square). Unless it was just the store sign, I didn't look close enough.

19-08-2004
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally posted by faust@Aug 19 2004, 10:46 AM
Are you sure?! I was in SF 3 months ago, it was still there (in that little alley by Union Square). Unless it was just the store sign, I didn't look close enough.
[snapback]338472[/snapback]
No, it's closed now. I think only the sign is there. It's in Maiden Lane where Chanel, YSL, and a cafe are. The store next door is now the Marc Jacobs.

Jil Sander store

Charles Baudelaire
19-08-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Incroyable@Aug 19 2004, 02:58 PM
No, it's closed now. I think only the sign is there. It's in Maiden Lane where Chanel, YSL, and a cafe are. The store next door is now the Marc Jacobs.

Jil Sander store
[snapback]338653[/snapback]
That's right, maiden lane, that was the name.

19-08-2004
flaunt the imperfection

anyone thinking of going to the barneys sample sale...i would skip it...all the stuff from the store at the same sale price...nothing worthwhile...and the customers are more agressive than usual...

i left empty-handed...and you all know that NEVER happens...hahaha....

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
prada, sale, sample