How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
30-05-2006
  31
scenester
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 79
thanks so much for your super long answer so you think the designer prices will be significantly higher than say, HK? Cos I just went there and the prices seemed more or less to be on par or only slightly higher than the US/online prices.
Have a few more questions that I can hope you help me with.
What will the weather be like in June-Sept?
Regarding non-designer shopping, I'm not so much interested in department stores but more in unique maybe locally made street fashion. Are there any areas in Shanghai that has such shopping?
In terms of food what's the must-try dish when I am there?
thanks so much for being so helpful

  Reply With Quote
 
03-06-2006
  32
front row
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Gender: homme
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornnLost
thanks so much for your super long answer so you think the designer prices will be significantly higher than say, HK? Cos I just went there and the prices seemed more or less to be on par or only slightly higher than the US/online prices.
Have a few more questions that I can hope you help me with.
What will the weather be like in June-Sept?
Regarding non-designer shopping, I'm not so much interested in department stores but more in unique maybe locally made street fashion. Are there any areas in Shanghai that has such shopping?
In terms of food what's the must-try dish when I am there?
thanks so much for being so helpful
You are welcome. I do think the prices of European designer clothings are higher in Shanghai than Hongkong and the US because of the higher tariff in China. I made comparison for the same items myself. Some stores (Zegna is the best example) may intentionally keep the price on par with even Europe, but that's done at the cost of losing chunk of profits and not very common.

Shanghai's weather is very hot and humid in Summer (although still much better than places like Bangkok in that aspect ). The highest temperature could be easily above 35 celsius degree, sometimes almost 38, 39. June is usually the rainy season.

I don't know much about the so-called street fashion since I have very little interest in it and I am also a bit too old for it. I doubt there's really a street fashion scene in Shanghai. I also doubt there's really any creative street fashion anywhere across the whole Asia except Japan. It seems to me that most so-called "trendy" and "edgy" young kids in Shanghai (probably also Hongkong) are merely copycats of Japanese (or in a even worse case, Korean) street fashion. I did come across of a label called "That's a Thing" (or something similiar to that) in Shanghai last time. They mostly make T-shirts and sweatshirts, with unusual prints (like sh*t covered with LV logo). You can find some of their stuff at MOCA (Museum of Contemporary Art).

  Reply With Quote
03-06-2006
  33
backstage pass
 
J'aime_la_mode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Looking out of an Airplane Window...
Gender: femme
Posts: 779
Thanks for all the information! I soon hope to travel to the Beijing area and this is all so useful!

__________________

  Reply With Quote
28-07-2006
  34
windowshopping
 
mandarine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 9
can anyone recommend good chinese highstreet stores in shanghai, comparable topshop or h&m?

or in general good areas or streets for highstreet fashion?

  Reply With Quote
28-07-2006
  35
wabisabi*
 
xcoldricex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Michigan
Gender: homme
Posts: 636
shanghai shopping sucks. all the high end stores are there just so the designers can put "shanghai" in their list of cities. people there aren't really fashionable- the wealthy people have all their money in real estate and very few of them are buying high fashion. even the low end market isn't all that great either- you can find better clothes in beijing/shenzhen/guangzhou.

  Reply With Quote
28-07-2006
  36
backstage pass
 
Honey~Blade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 861
I know there's cool stuff in Beijing/Shenzhen...but Guangzhou is kinda dull, well menswear anyhow.

__________________
No fight for the tainted, no hours of delusion and sugared ecstasy for the talented. Hoping in emptiness is a favorite passtime of zombies. Roses are ashes reborn and kissed.
  Reply With Quote
28-07-2006
  37
front row
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Gender: homme
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcoldricex
shanghai shopping sucks. all the high end stores are there just so the designers can put "shanghai" in their list of cities. people there aren't really fashionable- the wealthy people have all their money in real estate and very few of them are buying high fashion. even the low end market isn't all that great either- you can find better clothes in beijing/shenzhen/guangzhou.
Are you kidding me? Have you ever been to Shanghai and done any shopping at all the high-end stores in Shanghai? BTW, did you get the impression from that stupid article about the luxury shopping in Shanghai published on LA Times recently? Please read my previous posts in this thread or do some serious shopping at Plaza 66, Three on the Bund, I.T Xin Tian Di, blah blah blah before you make any judgement about the shopping scene in Shanghai.


Last edited by haoshcn; 28-07-2006 at 07:46 PM.
  Reply With Quote
28-07-2006
  38
backstage pass
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Where there be dragons...
Gender: femme
Posts: 865
The street markets in Shanghai are pretty good, although some of them have been closed down. Haggle the vendors to death.

And about getting pirated DVDs through customs, hide them in the lining of your suitcase or in your folded clothes.

  Reply With Quote
29-07-2006
  39
wabisabi*
 
xcoldricex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Michigan
Gender: homme
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by haoshcn
Are you kidding me? Have you ever been to Shanghai and done any shopping at all the high-end stores in Shanghai? BTW, did you get the impression from that stupid article about the luxury shopping in Shanghai published on LA Times recently? Please read my previous posts in this thread or do some serious shopping at Plaza 66, Three on the Bund, I.T Xin Tian Di, blah blah blah before you make any judgement about the shopping scene in Shanghai.
no i'm not kidding. i spent over three months there and shopping is terrible. you actually saw people buying stuff in plaza 66? i wonder how many people actually even go in there to browse- i have been there multiple times and the whole mall is dead. xin tian di? ok there's an I.T. (probably the only good store in shanghai) - but its not well stocked and the prices are marked way up - even on sale (50-70%) it's kind of a joke. is there anything else? no, not really - granted there are some new stores moving in to that complex. even the low end market is bad- there's much more available in beijing/guangzhou/shenzhen for the mainland. hong kong shopping is miles better than shanghai. sorry. shanghai shopping still sucks unless you really have copious amounts of money to spend carelessly..... but why would you do it in shanghai when you could go to tokyo or even hong kong?


Last edited by xcoldricex; 29-07-2006 at 01:32 AM.
  Reply With Quote
29-07-2006
  40
wabisabi*
 
xcoldricex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Michigan
Gender: homme
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by haoshcn
Overall I don't recommend people buying designers clothes in Shanghai, unless they have unlimited budgets or find something they really love and can't find back in their hometown (although that's a bit politically incorrect since I am supposed to help with the develpoment of our economy back in Shanghai ). European designers' stuff are siginifantly more expensive than Hongkong or the US (don't know about the comparison with Tokyo) because of the tariff specially imposed on imported luxury goods.
after reviewing all the high end stores, you say it yourself. why would you buy designer clothes in shanghai? even if you're just window shopping shanghai is pretty dismal.

  Reply With Quote
29-07-2006
  41
front row
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Gender: homme
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcoldricex
no i'm not kidding. i spent over three months there and shopping is terrible. you actually saw people buying stuff in plaza 66? i wonder how many people actually even go in there to browse- i have been there multiple times and the whole mall is dead. xin tian di? ok there's an I.T. (probably the only good store in shanghai) - but its not well stocked and the prices are marked way up - even on sale (50-70%) it's kind of a joke. is there anything else? no, not really - granted there are some new stores moving in to that complex. even the low end market is bad- there's much more available in beijing/guangzhou/shenzhen for the mainland. hong kong shopping is miles better than shanghai. sorry. shanghai shopping still sucks unless you really have copious amounts of money to spend carelessly..... but why would you do it in shanghai when you could go to tokyo or even hong kong?
I agree that shopping in Shanghai is not so good as Hongkong and Tokyo. Mostly it's because the high tariff imposed on imported luxury goods in China and also people's average income is still much lower than the other two places. But, we must be honest, the shopping scene in Hongkong and Tokyo is even way better than New York! You could never compare Shanghai's shopping with those two places since the retailing business of luxury goods really just started taking off in Shanghai since less than 10 years ago. Such comparison isn't really fair. At least I don't find the shopping choices in Shanghai is worse than Chicago at all. You can say "Shanghai shopping sucks", whether that makes sense really depends on who you compare Shanghai with. BTW, are you from Hongkong? You sound like someone from there.

Next time you go to Shanghai, I suggest you to try more stores. What about Three on the Bund, AIAIA, do you think they have bad selections? You talk about lower-end shopping, what about Qipu Lu (七浦路)? Although I do agree that price of designer clothes is a big problem in Shanghai. Quite a few stores do actually ridiculouly mark up things. I was at Jean Paul Gaultier store last time, even a men's winter sweater was priced at around $500, and that's a 40% off item.


Last edited by haoshcn; 29-07-2006 at 05:59 AM.
  Reply With Quote
29-07-2006
  42
wabisabi*
 
xcoldricex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Michigan
Gender: homme
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey~Blade
I know there's cool stuff in Beijing/Shenzhen...but Guangzhou is kinda dull, well menswear anyhow.
probably like 95% (if not more) of the clothes that are sold in beijing/shenzhen come from the factories in guangzhou.

  Reply With Quote
29-07-2006
  43
wabisabi*
 
xcoldricex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Michigan
Gender: homme
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by haoshcn
I agree that shopping in Shanghai is not so good as Hongkong and Tokyo. Mostly it's because the high tariff imposed on imported luxury goods in China and also people's average income is still much lower than the other two places. But, we must be honest, the shopping scene in Hongkong and Tokyo is even way better than New York! You could never compare Shanghai's shopping with those two places since the retailing business of luxury goods really just started taking off in Shanghai since less than 10 years ago. Such comparison isn't really fair. At least I don't find the shopping choices in Shanghai is worse than Chicago at all. You can say "Shanghai shopping sucks", whether that makes sense really depends on who you compare Shanghai with.

Next time you go to Shanghai, I suggest you to try more stores. What about Three on the Bund, AIAIA, do you think they have bad selections? You talk about lower-end shopping, what about Qipu Lu (七浦路)? Although I do agree that price of designer clothes is a big problem in Shanghai. Quite a few stores do actually ridiculouly mark up things. I was at Jean Paul Gaultier store last time, even a men's winter sweater was priced at around $500, and that's a 40% off item.
I've been to all the above mentioned stores. All you can really say about Shanghai is that they have the high-end labels there. That's about it. Comparing it to other cities or not, I think Shanghai shopping still sucks. What's shopping when you can't buy anything?

I'd have to say Hong Kong shopping is just ok, i didn't do much high end shopping there though (I never made it to Joyce or anything - mostly to avoid temptation at the time). For streetwear its pretty bad- not in terms of availability but just the fact that the general mass is crazy about whatever "milk" or "touch" magazines feeds to them- mostly japanese brands - and bape is crazy there (even though it fell off in japan several years ago). so the market is just saturated with japanese streetwear resale shops that charge ridiculous prices... yet you see many many many kids walking around head-to-toe in bape.

Quote:
BTW, are you from Hongkong? You sound like someone from there.
haha i don't know whether i should be offended or not. no i'm not from hong kong.

Quote:
You talk about lower-end shopping, what about Qipu Lu (七浦路)?
probably the worst (save chongqing) low-end shopping district i've been to. so much junk, i'm used to having to dig through these places but there was almost nothing to find here. plus i almost got pickpocketed several times while i was there haha. the only shops of note would be on changle lu or maoming nan lu areas- where there are several people trying to do their own designs.

  Reply With Quote
29-07-2006
  44
front row
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Gender: homme
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcoldricex
I've been to all the above mentioned stores. All you can really say about Shanghai is that they have the high-end labels there. That's about it. Comparing it to other cities or not, I think Shanghai shopping still sucks. What's shopping when you can't buy anything?
Right, I agree with your judgement about they having high-end lables while their selctions are generally not good enough yet. Whether it sucks (to be honest, this is an ultra-disgusting American slang, but since you keep using it, I just follow your suit), this is a totally personal opinion. Whether you can buy things in Shanghai, it also depends on your taste, your budget and the size of your purse. In Feb I saw very beautiful Dior Homme runway pieces at their store in Plaza 66, the same things I found later on the website of Luisa Via Roma. As I mentioned in my previous posts, I saw very very beautiful runway pieces of Yohji and Ann Demeulemeester for women at Three on the Bund, I also saw quite a few pretty Chloe dresses from their runway show at their boutique in CITIC Square. At I.T Xin Tian Di, I saw some of the best women's runway pieces of Balenciaga of 05/06 FW. In winter of 2004, I was looking for a pair of Balenciaga mens heavy wool bondage pants I first saw at Atelier New York, my size was sold out in all the stores carrying mens Balenciaga in the US, so I called I.T Xin Tian Di, they actually had it, but it's not on sale yet, and the price was more than $1000, I had to give up in the end.

Does it mean there's nothing to buy in Shanghai? I don't know, depends on what you want to buy and what you can afford. No, there's no Carol Christian Poell, no Carpe Diem, no Marjan Pejoski in Shanghai yet. But if you ask me, just based on shopping choices, would I rather live in Shanghai or any American city other than NYC and LA, I would choose Shanghai myself. Is it because I am a bumpkin who hasn't seen enough good things? I don't know, could be.

  Reply With Quote
22-08-2006
  45
windowshopping
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London & Shanghai
Gender: homme
Posts: 22
No Doubt, Shopping At Plaza 66 Or I.t Would Never Be A Brilliant Choice.

Try An Evening Walking Around Shan Xi Road, Ju Le Road, Xin Le Road Or Chang Le Road, These Are What I Think The Most
Unique And Secret Fashion Shopping Area In Shanghai.

  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
shanghai, shopping
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 AM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. 2014 All rights reserved.