How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-04-2007
front row

Shopping in CAPE TOWN
Will be heading to Cape Town for work.
Any recommendations for shopping there?
Interested labels...
- Undercover
- N(N)
- Dior Homme
- Ann D.
- CdG
- Rick Owens
- Paul Harnden
- APC
- Lad Musician
- and the likes....
Thanks!

18-04-2007
front row

i havent been there for ages but the V&A waterfront has some nice upmarket shopping... The Victoria Wharf center in the V&A is quite big and has some name brand shops but I'm not sure if you'd find those labels. The best thing you can do is go to the websites of those labels and look under stockists.

Im jealous, lol, i'm going there next year though so I cant wait!

28-12-2007
windowshopping

Those brands in Cape Town? Ambitious.
There’s a store in Loop Street that stocks Raf by Raf and Danielle allasandrini. Quite a nice selection (although nothing smaller than jacket sizes 48 and waist 32). Then there’s a new store in the V&A called Harper that just got in some AW07-08 Dior Homme shoes. The staff are useless so don’t ask any questions apart from ‘how much?’.
And that’s it really. This is a holiday town

31-03-2009
front row

I figured since this thread hasn't been updated in a while, and since some more people may be visiting and thinking about shopping, I'd leave an update on some places to check out...

The tourist shopping areas, with the largest selections;
  • Victoria & Albert Waterfront
  • Canal Walk
  • Cavendish Square
  • Bayside Mall

You'll find some of the normal European brands here, the prices tend to be on par, if not more expensive than Europe for some things! The sales which happen in December/January/July/August tend to be ok.

The V&A has a new Fashion Wing which houses designers that are new to RSA - more high end fashion, and more expensive European brands.

There are also a few department stores within the malls (Stuttafords for example which have really good sales, and stock a large variety of international brands).
Woolworths in V&A and Canal Walk have a section for South African designers.

A great store which can be found in most of the malls is called YDE - Young Designers Emporium (www.yde.co.za). It showcases South African fashion students, and new designers; the pieces are sold in limited numbers and prices really vary. Definitely good to check out!

Another cool store- Big Blue - is great for South African designers that you wouldn't pick up outside of RSA...(http://www.bigblue.co.za)

There is also a small outlet village called Sable Square, close to Canal Walk, where you can pick up cheap shoes/sunglasses/denim/streetwear.

Access Park - is a factory outlet village in Kenilworth.
Definitely worth a visit if you have the time.

Walking through De Waterkant is great - there are plenty of small independent boutiques, as well as unusual cafes and restaurants.

You can then head to Long Street, my personal favourite shopping experience - there are tons and tons of vintage stores here. You can haggle with the sellers, especially when paying cash - prices are still cheaper than in UK/Europe for great vintage pieces.
Mungo & Jemima (http://www.mungoandjemima.com/) is also good to check out since they stock some independent RSA designers which are on par with major European/International brands in terms of styles/cuts/quality, just cheaper and not as widely available!!

If you travel out to Kalk Bay, I would definitely recommend visiting Dolce and Banana (http://www.dolceandbanana.com/)- they do amazing jewellery and bags, as well as other unusual pieces, using materials sourced from all over Africa. You can watch the ladies creating the pieces in their studio in the back...

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head right now, but in case anyone is going to be shopping in Cape Town soon and wants more details about designers and where they can be bought/stores etc- feel free to get in touch

11-05-2009
fashion insider

the waterfront center is nice. I was there a few times. they have some great high fashion stores.
And u can also find some nice things in town. For example the shop " Milk" they have cool things, and mostly hand made. also the NYLON shop is cool . so yeah I dont know what u like to wear. but u have to got to wanterfront

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cape, shopping, town