How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-11-2005
Frozen irony.

Yes, I just wish there were a bigger selection on the high street, Topshop seems like it's got a monopoly, for us that want to stand out a bit, not designer prices, but I woulden't mind paying a bit extra for something unique, I love the idea of Topshop, bringing designers to the table, with their TS design section, but is it just me or is this starting to look the same as the things we already have in Topshop?

The high street really is uninspering at the moment, and I have talked to several of my friends about this.. complaining..

..here are not that many tfs'ers from London here, although there are some... what is your shopping secret(s)? Once in a while I see some girl on the street that does inspier me (not often) I get so happy when I see that, a true individual, I just want to go up and ask where she shops, surely there must be some secret i don't know about?

I never dare though...

I also find looking for the perfect boot has become an impossible task, like you Vintage princess, I can't find any shoes I like apart from designer shoes.. and when I do find soe nice ones they are always sold out in my size, this has happen 4 times this year.

Topshop has also increased their prices.. has anyone else noticed this? Yu used to be able to get almost a full outfit in topshop for a 100 quid, now a siple 'fashion top' is near to 40... ?so a couple of tops and a pair of jeans if your lucky, a pair of boots now they cost over 90 most of the on the topshop website..

but I guess they do it beause they can, they practically own the high street.

The thing is, I find it really a lot of money for what you are getting, a week later 'everyone' has it, and you are forced out again to buy something new, it's a circle.

14-11-2005
Adorable illusion

I had a habit of going in Mango..but I hardly go there now, I think the prices are a bit silly for the quality of clothes they sell. I used to visit Zara too..but dont go there much anymore. I've noticed that Zara's clothes are quite overpriced..£40 for a plain white shirt & I do find it a little "mature" too..its just not my style really.

Whenever I see anyone I think looks stylish I really admire them a lot. Im surprised I see a few just shopping in the supermarket, and then I follow them down the aisles to look at their clothes more

This sounds bad, but I only truly like designer shoes now..but msot I like cost at least £300 and I will probably only buy the odd high street pair if I liked it enough.

Honestly the last time I went in topshop they had racks and racks of grey baxter jeans, there was so much it was unbelievable!

Last edited by vintage_princess; 14-11-2005 at 08:55 PM.
14-11-2005
Frozen irony.

I do that to, I love it when I see some-one with their own unique thing going on.

It makes me really happy, and I try to figure out where they bought their brilliant stuff.

I hate the baxter jeans now... don't you think that evryone has them? Even in the arabic quarter where i went for shisha this weekend, I saw girls upon girls wearing them with black boots, so many....

14-11-2005
Adorable illusion

Yeah skinny grey jeans are annoying. I used to be a fan but quite fed up with them. Still anyone who wears them fine..but not for me I have to admit I bought them, tried them on at home & took them straight back

15-11-2005
front row

I think Topshop has gone downhill in the past year or so. They used to be one of my favourite places to shop but I do think their prices have gone up and their quality hasn't. I think it's great for cute underwear though. You can't beat their 3 for 7 quid deal. I still love going there just to have a look at what's on offer but yeah, I am getting tired of it.

I think Miss Selfridge has gone up recently in terms of their stock and the quality of their clothes though. I know it's usually associated with the younger crowd but they often have some quality stuff. H&M gives me a headache... no matter which branch you go to wherever in england, it's always a mess! The only topshop that gives me a headache is the oxford street one.

15-11-2005
V.I.P.

^^Ok...I finally get you ppl's pain!
Yes...Topshop, H&M, Zara etc have produced clones on the high street, Topshop in particular.
Pucci_Mama: I agree with you about Topshop prices, they have become rather exhorbitant of late. I mean now that they've branched out onto the catwalk with their Unique collection, it seems to have given them license to hike up the prices too. At the same time, I'm grateful for Topshop's presence on the British high street because I really haven't seen any other lower end store in any other country turnaround catwalk copies with such speed and variety.

I tend to stick to the TS Boutique and Unique stuff....coz it's much nicer and you're not as likely to bump into 'clones'. Going into Mango once in a while can bring up pleasant surprises. I used to raid Urban Outfitters a lot because they carry a lot of very good mid-range labels like See by Chloe, Lux, Pinko etc. The advantage of living in London is the vast array of individual boutiques that carry lesser-known but affordable labels. Public Beware, No-One, The Dispensary, Pinacle Eye are my faves.

My blog - Style Bubble - http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style_bubble/
15-11-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie_bubble
^^Ok...I finally get you ppl's pain!
Yes...Topshop, H&M, Zara etc have produced clones on the high street, Topshop in particular.
Pucci_Mama: I agree with you about Topshop prices, they have become rather exhorbitant of late. I mean now that they've branched out onto the catwalk with their Unique collection, it seems to have given them license to hike up the prices too. At the same time, I'm grateful for Topshop's presence on the British high street because I really haven't seen any other lower end store in any other country turnaround catwalk copies with such speed and variety.

I tend to stick to the TS Boutique and Unique stuff....coz it's much nicer and you're not as likely to bump into 'clones'. Going into Mango once in a while can bring up pleasant surprises. I used to raid Urban Outfitters a lot because they carry a lot of very good mid-range labels like See by Chloe, Lux, Pinko etc. The advantage of living in London is the vast array of individual boutiques that carry lesser-known but affordable labels. Public Beware, No-One, The Dispensary, Pinacle Eye are my faves.
Where can I find some of these lesser known but affordable labels?? I live in SE England and when I do occasionally go to London for shopping I tend to hit the centralised areas like Oxford street so I save time...what other areas are good to check out? Thanks

15-11-2005
V.I.P.

I've posted loadsa London boutique shopping tips in the Fave places in London thread:
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...ht=shop+london

My blog - Style Bubble - http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style_bubble/
15-11-2005
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage_princess

On the clones..yes! Im sick of practically everyone wearing skinny jeans tucked into boots And the boho trend this summer
I have been wearing skinny jeans for years because I hate bootcut but I am not going to stop wearin them just because others have jumped on the bandwagon!
I do hate seeing these girls wearing them when it blatantly is not their style and doesn't suit them....thats annoying

15-11-2005
Adorable illusion

^ yeah I agree..I dislike bootcut jeans a lot or very flared ones because they make me look worse rather than flatter my size.

16-11-2005
Adorable illusion

The topshop vintage section is a rip off! They overcharge so much...

16-11-2005
Frozen irony.

I know! I looked at this vintage cape, that I really liked there, and it was like 90!!

What??

I like Topshop vintage section though, for the reason that have never been much of a vintage shopper myself.

I mean, I don't have it in me going through piles and piles, of stuff that is way to big and smells bad... I have decided to change that though, specially with me not liking Topshop that much at the moment.

I think they charge that much, becuase of people like me, I mean you get vintage stuff, without the smell, and it's quite warm there..

BUT, I don't agree with them charging over a 100 for dresses! It's outrageous!

vintage is supposed to be cheap!

Do any of you shop Topshop vintage?

16-11-2005
Adorable illusion

I love vintage shopping for one-off shoes that no one else will be likely to have & I love the fact that most things are cheap!! Theres nothing like getting a unique pair of shoes that are under 20!!

But I agree..vintage shopping can be quite disappointing though when a lot of things are quite umm dirty & havent been cleaned
Most places that sell vintage items bother to dry clean their clothes first before selling them to the public.

Speaking of vintage..I dont like topshop vintage, i think its way too expensive at topshop. Clutches bags were like 40 when I buy them usually for 2.99!! Also, Beyond Retro is another vintage place...way overhyped in my opinion!!

16-11-2005
Frozen irony.

I don't mind vintage shopping...in the summer I hang so much around Portobello Market, that is summer for me, and my friend loves vintage shopping so...

I personally never seem to find anything though Im really small in the sizes and also petite, and everything needs to be tailored and that adds up.. but ive decided to do it, i love one-off items!

But, I bought some black ankle boots from topshop today, and i am actually quite excited they never seem to have anything in a size 3. ops..

Maybe topshop is trying to destinguish (sp?) themselfs from the high street with putting up their prices, having a catwalk show, designers at topshop, etc.

Because there is not really a place you can compare topshop to on the high street?

I never buy jeans at topshop though.. i hate their 'moto' range.. with that logo.. I remeber it used to be everywhere!

BUT, with that said their skinnies aren't that bad even though, they are everywhere, and if i couldn't afford anything else....

Last edited by pucci_mama; 16-11-2005 at 11:03 PM.
17-11-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucci_mama
I know! I looked at this vintage cape, that I really liked there, and it was like 90!!

What??

I like Topshop vintage section though, for the reason that have never been much of a vintage shopper myself.

I mean, I don't have it in me going through piles and piles, of stuff that is way to big and smells bad... I have decided to change that though, specially with me not liking Topshop that much at the moment.

I think they charge that much, becuase of people like me, I mean you get vintage stuff, without the smell, and it's quite warm there..

BUT, I don't agree with them charging over a 100 for dresses! It's outrageous!

vintage is supposed to be cheap!

Do any of you shop Topshop vintage?
I have a couple of bits from topshop vintage but it is WAY overpriced. I got a pair of boots about 3 years ago, before the vintage hype had completely started, they were only 35, but the next time I visited the Oxford Street branch, about a year later their boots were all like 80, absolutely ridiculous!

I also bought an absolutely beautiful fuschia pink strapless cocktail dress, to be honest, it didn't have the price label on it, and if it had I wouldnt have even bothered trying it on, because all of their dresses are like 90-100. But I fell in love with it when I put it on, and just found a random vintage label on the floor for 40, took that to the till and they just used that no prob! YES i screwed the system! serves them right for charging extortionate amounts!

vintage shopping up here is mostly crap to be honest, but I would still rather trail around our limited selection of shops and find maybe one piece that no-one else will have, than go to topshop to find everyone and their mam owns the same top as you next week! The only half decent place here is Attica, but it is mostly evening wear, really reasonably though, I found some vintage Dior shoes in perfect condition for 10!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
topshop, uk