How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-10-2005
Adorable illusion

^ thanks Helena for posting that

14-11-2005
Frozen irony.

I a starting to hate Topshop i like their unique section, and some of the more 'limited' stuff, but I feel like you can spot some-one wearing Topshop, just like that!

You feel like a clone.

It's such a shame.

But what othe high street stores can you go to instead? I mean.. i don't like Miss Selfridges, the cut on their chlother are really bad, and often it's to much metallic and stuff... Zara is good, but a bit to 'grown-up' maybe? I don't know.. Im not there that often..

What replacement for Topshop do you girls use?

I like H&M they have a lot of crap but it's worth a look, because it's so cheap, and you can find some cool stuff.

14-11-2005
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by impossibleprincess
i've really, really gone off topshop, i used to love it but now i just don't. if you buy something from there everyone else has it too. i don't know why i've gone off it so much but for my cheap clothes fix nowadays i got to h&m or zara.
You can't stop people having the same clothes as you! Get over it!
You can still look individual - its the way you wear it! Thats what makes the difference between having style and er...not having style!

14-11-2005
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemiu
I heard they where coming to America
Apparently they are opening or have already opened in New York!

14-11-2005
V.I.P.

Opening Ceremony in NYC has a small selection of the Topshop...apparently, they're selling Topshop at inflated prices in comparisom to the UK.

I think Topshop is planning to do international shipping in 2006 as well too. But their online store doesn't have the best selection compared to what they have at the Oxford Circus branch.

My blog - Style Bubble - http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style_bubble/
14-11-2005
Cinematic Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie_bubble
I think Topshop is planning to do international shipping in 2006 as well too.
They are stupid not too (at the moment i mean) because it seems so many people, here on TFS, want to purchase there.

14-11-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msminicooper
You can't stop people having the same clothes as you! Get over it!
You can still look individual - its the way you wear it! Thats what makes the difference between having style and er...not having style!
I can see both sides of the argument. You can wear high street clothes and still be individual. Unfortunately, there are way too many clones who just rip off looks from the Topshop mannequins and you do end up seeing double a lot when walking around the streets.

I tend to mix high street stuff from Topshop and H&M with vintage stuff and designers.....or I try to pick pieces from Topshop and H&M that won't be ubiquitous and all over the place.

14-11-2005
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie_bubble
I tend to mix high street stuff from Topshop and H&M with vintage stuff and designers....
Thats exactly what I am talkin about! You will only look like aclone if you wear it head to toe - like one of their mannequins. Most people I know are too clued up to be walking around like that though!

14-11-2005
Frozen irony.

Well, I mix it up too, I still hate when I can see girls with the exact same jacket you bought, no matter how people mix it up I just don't find it original at all, the only people i know who look original are girls who only wear designer and vintage, if you wear topshop you end up like a clone imo.

It's a sad fact.

14-11-2005
V.I.P.

^Well...I think it's a tad brutal to deny ALL girls who buy high street clothes, originality.
I don't consider myself a fashion clone but financial pressure often forces me to buy high street. I don't consider myself stylistically handicapped BECAUSE I occasionally buy high street. In fact, I think that a unique quality can be found by mixing high end and low end.
Does it also not depend on WHAT you buy from H&M, Topshop etc. and WHAT you do with said items?

14-11-2005
Frozen irony.

Sorry, I am being brutal, I am just fed up with Topshop at the moment, I used to love black and grey- still do, but I wore that when everyone was wearing Topshop-boho, which i used to find so ugly, and used to think everyone looked like clones... now, that Topshop is full with teh trends that is now.. dark, lots of grey, deconstructed top's, gothic vibe, I just get fed up by it is all mass-arked, quite low quality, and when I walk on the street, I can tell when girls wear Topshop, it all looks the same for me, because i know the stuff Topshop stocks have so well.

I find it really sad, becuase Topshop keeps giving out the same stuff, to the mass market, and everyone looks kinda the same.

But this is just my opinion.

Last edited by pucci_mama; 14-11-2005 at 05:04 PM.
14-11-2005
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucci_mama
Well, I mix it up too, I still hate when I can see girls with the exact same jacket you bought, no matter how people mix it up I just don't find it original at all, the only people i know who look original are girls who only wear designer and vintage, if you wear topshop you end up like a clone imo.

It's a sad fact.
I used to work for a very high end designer brand that is on the most wanted list of every girl...even when these clothes were supposedly limited and "exclusive" I would still see so called clones around town.
If you live or work in a city centre esp. London you are bound to see people wearing the same as you whether you wear designer or high street clothes.

So its really more about the way you put it together. I used to be exactly like you but now I am so comfortable in my own style that I don't care if I walk past some girl in the street who is wearing the same coat as me because more often than not my outfit is better put together!

I wear designer aswell high street and still find that girls do have the same pieces. Even designer stuff is mass produced esp. when department stores like Selfridges and Harvey Nichols buy so much. Theres just no point in not buying something just for fear of seeing another girl in the same thing.

Wearing head to toe designer is just as bad as wearing head to toe high street unless we are talkin about more obscure designer labels...

14-11-2005
Frozen irony.

I was never talking about wearing designer head-to-toe, that was not my point.

it does take the fun away seeing people wearing the same stuff as you, i know London is a big place everyone wants to stand out, and you are bound to see people wit the same stuff as you.

I am just saying in one day I see so many people dressing the same way, and don't give me that: 'if you buy designer then everyone will have it', this is not true, specially if we are talking about going around the high street, as most people that shops in those shops are students.

I hardly see anyone sporting comme des garcons, Vivienne Westwood etc. on a normal day, just to take an example, if I do, I get really happy.

but yeah, wearing designer head-to-toe is a faux pas, I am just sick this moment of girls that was sporting 'boho' a few months ago, now suddenly are dressed the same, skinny jeans, loose tops, boots.. very dark and moody.

It really makes me feel uninspierd i hate feeling like a clone, and have started to hate topshop for that fact.

Edit: this is not meant as a personal attack for those who love and buy Topshop.

14-11-2005
Adorable illusion

Pucci, couldnt agree with you more! Especially your first post about there not being any good high street shops!! Im annoyed by this as well!
Your points on Miss Selfridge...

Well, right now I prefer Topshop to be honest because im so sick of the Stella hype at H&M but they are ok I guess for cheap stuff..but the quality is not so great..

On the clones..yes! Im sick of practically everyone wearing skinny jeans tucked into boots And the boho trend this summer

I basically had the same rant to my bf about there not being any good high street shoe shops either! Faith, Ravel, Barratts ( ) all sell ugly shoes which are catwalk copies and the only shoes I like now are designer or vintage.

14-11-2005
V.I.P.

Does anyone have the Vogue article (I'm pretty sure it's Vogue) about the popularity of Topshop in the UK and how it's coming into America?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
topshop, uk