How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-06-2008
?

^^ Thank you!
I'm currently deciding whether I should stay in Vienna for a full week, or if I should spend four nights in Vienna and three in Budapest. So I'm writing a list of the places I want to visit in each city, to compare.

Is it easy to get around the inner city quickly? I want to walk as much as possible, as one sees more that way..
How might the weather be and what sort of shoes should I bring? I'm thinking flats.. I will be couchsurfing () so I can't pack all that much.

Do you by any chance know which museum has the best collection of Schiele and Klimt? I'm also interested in seeing places relating to Marie-Antoinette, as I am quite fascinated by her whole life.

01-06-2008
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellaMare View Post
^^ Thank you!
I'm currently deciding whether I should stay in Vienna for a full week, or if I should spend four nights in Vienna and three in Budapest. So I'm writing a list of the places I want to visit in each city, to compare.

Is it easy to get around the inner city quickly? I want to walk as much as possible, as one sees more that way..
How might the weather be and what sort of shoes should I bring? I'm thinking flats.. I will be couchsurfing () so I can't pack all that much.

Do you by any chance know which museum has the best collection of Schiele and Klimt? I'm also interested in seeing places relating to Marie-Antoinette, as I am quite fascinated by her whole life.
Oh, you're couchsurfing. That's cool, I'd like to try that too some time.
As for Schiele and Klimt: You'll find the biggest Schiele collection in the Leopolds Museum in the MuseumsQuartier. And you should visit Schloss Belvedere for Klimt. The Albertina doesn't have as much Klimt or Schiele as the other museums do, but it's right in the city so if you are interested in art you should visit that one too. And if you decide to visit the flea market, the one I mentioned in the last post, you could stop by the Secession and look at Klimt's Beethoven Frieze.

Overall it's pretty warm here right now so I think comfy flats should be ok.

And yeah, you definitely get around the inner city pretty quickly. You should get a map. The first and the seventh district are basically where all the interesting things are at and they are right beside each other so it's pretty easy to get around. There are metros, trains and buses everywhere so getting around shouldn't be a problem. Especially if you are staying with a local, you can always ask him/her how to get wherever you plan to go.

And a place related to Marie Antoinette would be the Schloss Schönbrunn, it was her childhood home. Now I am not sure (but I don't think they do) if they have anything related to Marie Antoinette, but you could try the Imperial Furniture Collection. And should vou visit either the Kunsthistorisches Museum or the National History Museum, you'll see a big statute of Maria Theresia.

I can't think of anything else right now but if I do I'll let you know.
Anything else you'd like to know?
After I lived in the US for a while and came back here I started doing this "tourist in your own city"-thing so really if you'd like some more recommandations I'd be more than happy to help you out.

Last edited by elfenkind; 01-06-2008 at 01:55 PM.
01-06-2008
backstage pass

I personally would take the 4 days Vienna, 3 days Budapest since I don't think there's much interesting stuff except for the 1rst district if you're a tourist

11-10-2008
front row

I highly recommand this website to everyone going to Vienna:
http://vienna.unlike.net/

front row

are there any shops for men that carry AnnD, Rick Owens, Raf Simons, Comme des garcons and such in Vienna other than Park?

02-12-2008
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by god_save_hedi View Post
are there any shops for men that carry AnnD, Rick Owens, Raf Simons, Comme des garcons and such in Vienna other than Park?
theres Song, located in the 2nd district and two in the first district whose names escape me because they're not really labeled. at all.

windowshopping

Rick Owens you can find in Chegini.Chegini has few stores in center of Vienna.you can find very easy.Ann D. shoes and bags you can find in boutique Firis near to stephansplatz(center).comme des G. you can find in Emis. They have japaneese designers. Emis is in pararel streer from Firis. If you need the adresses let me know.

03-12-2008
scenester

yes, exactly, Emis and Firis were the names of the other shops! I expect to find Comme des Garcons, Junya Watanabe, Yohji Yamamoto, Issey Miyake and more there. here's a link to the website of Emis and Firis.

here are the addresses just in case

Firis
Bauernmarkt 9
A-1010 Wien
Tel: +43-1-533 42 75

Emis
Wildpretmarkt 7 / Tuchlauben 18
A-1010 Wien
Tel.: +43/1/535 28 19

there's two entrances to Emis; the Wildpretmarkt 7 leads you into the main designer store/gallery, whereas the Tuchlauben 18 entrance serves as a small display for the Y3 collection sold there. the whole space is connected, though, so I guess it doesn't really matter what entrance you take!

rising star

Hey everyone!

There's been a lot of sample sales going on in Vienna lately. There was the Christmas Vintage sale last week where they had some great vintage stuff AND some amazing Elfenkind pieces. And then there was the Petar Petrov sample sale yesterday. Do you guys know of any that are coming up? I know there is something going on this weekend, next weekend and the weekend after that. A friend of mine is taking me tomorrow, when I know exactly where we're going I'll let you guys know. In the meanwhile, please feel free to share about any sales or private shopping events that you know of .

05-12-2008
windowshopping

oh you should tell us earlier!!
If there is something I will also let you know (of yourse if I know=)

05-12-2008
trendsetter

well, just found out about this homepage and i thought i share: http://www.austrianfashion.net/

rising star

ELena2404, that thing I mentioned is in the old Reiffeisen building by Kohlmarkt, not exciting at all. And scara, yes, that's a great website!

13-12-2008
front row

balmained & ELena2404
thank you so much! i'll be in vienna at the end of jan. hope some ss09 items will pop up at the time : )

14-12-2008
Stitch:the Hand

god save hedi...head to park. they sell just about everyone belgian and antwerp-trained + plenty of highly interesting local austrian talents like awareness and consciousness.....and a few other wonderful talents.

http://www.park.co.at/

also as somebody else mentioned,another lovely shop called song. they carry bernhard(unfortunately only for women,at the mo) and a.f. vandevorst.

http://www.song.at/

Last edited by Scott; 14-12-2008 at 03:06 PM.
22-12-2009
scenester

A quick update, as it's been almost a year...

The Chegini on Kohlmarkt in the basement no longer exists. However, in its place they opened two new ones, both on Kohlmarkt. Both are kind of hidden inside courtyards but the street isn't that long so they shouldn't be very hard to find. One of them carries current stuff, the other is an archive with mostly things where you can see why nobody wanted them. But the prices are so low that it doesn't hurt to quickly stop by. Of course there's also the one on the corner of Plankengasse and Seilergasse, which tends to carry the stuff I like the most. They close at 6:15 and sometimes won't let you in at about 6.

Park is still around. They've opened an online store as well: www.park-onlinestore.com.

Emis is also still around.

2006feb01 (dumbest name for a store ever) stopped carrying menswear. Thus mens Burberry Prorsum can no longer be bought in Vienna as far as I know.

Mühlbauer (the hat store) has a clothing store just across the street that stocks Vivienne Westwood, Petar Petrov, and others.

Song and the ACNE gallery are now in the same building.

Liska has about 500 different locations in Vienna and they stock a few nice things but unless you have an oligarch's inheritance, don't bother.

There's a small but nice women's Jil Sander store tucked away in a side street across from Stephansdom.

None of the bigger Austrian designers actually have their own stores in Vienna. Peter Pilotto is exclusive to PARK. Petar Petrov has his store in Paris, and only sells at Mühlbauer in Vienna (though he did have a sample sale a while ago). Wendy & Jim are still at PARK I think? etc... I guess the demand just isn't there.

The other stores already mentioned in this thread are mostly still around as well. Vienna is very resistant to change. To be honest it really shouldn't take more than a day (or two if you want to take it slow) to check out all that Vienna has to offer in terms of fashion.

Last edited by Money Tuff; 22-12-2009 at 06:26 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
shopping, vienna