All About Retail: Sales Associates, Management, etc.
View Single Post
Join Date: Feb 2005
Originally Posted by
I'm a college student in Chicago and am, for the first time since high school, considering working. I have about a year and half's worth of retail experience at a relatively upscale shoe boutique (the rest is restaurants, which I can't imagine looks impressive on a resume). I have a couple of Q's:
(1) What kind of questions do they usually ask in interviews for retail jobs, and what are the most preferred answers?
(2) Any other tips for interviews?
(3) Also, should I be intimidated away from places like Barneys, Saks, Neimans (because of my relative lack in experience)?
(4) Also, can anyone give me advice based on their experience working at the following: Saks, Neimans, Barneys, JCrew, Anthropologie, Nordstrom, La Perla?
(5) And finally, is working at a makeup counter (MAC, Bobbi Brown, etc) completely out of the question for someone who only wants to work part time? I hear they tend to be intense jobs??
Thanks in advance!
1 - Very straightforward, why do you want to work here, et al. The higher end the more random and crazy the questions are. Ive heard some nutty questions...
2 - Be yourself, always be confident, these people work in retail, they can smell fear. Eyecontact, seem cheery at all times...GREET EVERYONE (you never know who will be the decision maker)
3 - No, it means you have to interview 10x harder, be totally water-tight. Barney's Co-Op is a good suggestion, you get the Barney's name but not the stodgyness, also it's a great in to getting to Barney's...
4 - Well, my good friend works at Saks and she loves it! She makes 4 digits in her weekly paycheck so she's very happy, works about 30 hours-a-week and very little labor (can you close a sunglass case? Or put on a dustbag?)
5 - I have no idea. I personally shy away from those jobs because I dont believe I have the talent for that job, also I dont *love* makeup and cosmetics enough to try...
You said you were looking for part-time, most highend shops are not interested in giving part-time short-term unless you are so amazing, or you are a previous employee.
View this member's profile
Post a comment to this member's profile
Find More Posts by Diorling