I just made this last night for dinner and everyone loved it. I admit I snuck a piece of the tofu "meat" when no one was looking
and it was delicious. I served it with a side of Summer Corn Succotash from Whole Living.
Tofu Veggie Meatloaf - 130 Cals Per Serving! Recipe
Makes 6 servings
Light, delicious, and filling meal. Under 300 calories.
For meatloaf: 14
oz extra firm tofu 1/2
chopped onion 1/4
cup cooked brown rice 1/2
cup bran cereal 1
chopped celery stalk 1/2
diced green pepper 1/4
cup chopped mushroom 1
chopped medium carrot 1/16
tsp sage, cumin, nutmeg, garlic powder, black pepper, basil 1/4
cup soy sauce 1/8
cup ketchup 1
tbsp dijon mustard
For topping sauce: 1
tbsp mustard 1
tbsp ketchup 3
tbsp Apple Cidar Vinegar 2
tsp Splenda Directions
Corn, Fava Bean, and tomato Summer Succotash
- Preheat oven to 350F and PAM a bread pan or small lasagne pan.
- In a sauce pan, cook the tofu (pre-drained and squeezed). I added browning sauce, soy sauce, and spices, but it's optional. It ends up looking (and smelling!) like ground beef.
- Mix the cooked tofu all of the goodies together and press into prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until brown on the top.
- Heat the sauce ingredients on the stove, pour on top of loaf, and let it cook another couple minutes.
- Slice and serve warm!
- 1 cup fresh fava beans (from about 20 pods)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons finely diced white onion
- 1 English cucumber, peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (from about 2 ears)
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
- Blanch the fava beans in boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain well. When the beans are cool enough to handle, remove their skins. Set the beans aside.
- Heat the canola oil in a large skillet over low heat. Add the onion and cook until transparent but not brown, about 5 minutes.
- Raise the heat to medium and add the cucumber. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Cook until the cucumber is tender, about 6 minutes. If the onion begins to brown, add a tablespoon or two of water and continue cooking.
- Add the corn and cook 1 to 2 minutes. Add the fava beans and bell pepper. Season and cook 2 minutes more, until tender. Stir in the tarragon and serve.