10 Synthetic Ingredients to Avoid

kaleigh

Reaction score
I know a lot of people are into buying big brand name products and most of them are LOADED with harsh chemicals.Here's a list i found on the Aubrey-Organics website that will hopefully help you choose some safer alternatives.

If you want natural products, you have to be willing to search them out. Learn to read labels, and refuse to settle for half-natural hair and skin care. Below I've listed and described the "ten most wanted"—the ten chemicals I most want to see off the labels of so-called natural hair and skin care products.

1. Methyl, Propyl, Butyl and Ethyl Paraben — Used as inhibitors of microbial growth and to extend shelf life of products. Have caused many allergic reactions and skin rashes. Studies have shown that they are weakly estrogenic and can be absorbed by the body through the skin. Widely used even though they are known to be toxic.

2. Diethanolamine (DEA), Triethanolamine (TEA) — Often used in cosmetics as emulsifiers and/or foaming agents. They can cause allergic reactions, eye irritation and dryness of hair and skin. DEA and TEA are "amines" (ammonia compounds) and can form cancer-causing nitrosamines when they come in contact with nitrates. Toxic if absorbed into the body over a long period of time.

3. Diazolidinyl Urea, Imidazolidinyl Urea — These are widely used preservatives. The American Academy of Dermatology has found them to be a primary cause of contact dermatitis. Two trade names for these chemicals are Germall II and Germall 115. Neither of the Germall chemicals contains a good antifungal agent, and they must be combined with other preservatives. Both these chemicals release formaldehyde, which can be toxic.

4. Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate — A cheap, harsh detergent used in shampoos for its cleansing and foam-building properties. Often derived from petroleum, it is frequently disguised in pseudo-natural cosmetics with the phrase "comes from coconuts." It causes eye irritation, scalp scurf similar to dandruff, skin rashes and other allergic reactions.

5. Petrolatum — Also known as petroleum jelly, this mineral oil derivative is used for its emollient properties in cosmetics. It has no nutrient value for the skin and can interfere with the body's own natural moisturizing mechanism, leading to dryness and chapping. It often creates the very conditions it claims to alleviate. Manufacturers use petrolatum because it is unbelievably cheap.

6. Propylene Glycol — Ideally this is a vegetable glycerin mixed with grain alcohol, both of which are natural. Usually it is a synthetic petrochemical mix used as a humectant. It has been known to cause allergic reactions, hives and eczema. When you see PEG (polyethylene glycol) or PPG (polypropylene glycol) on labels, beware—these are related synthetics.

7. PVP/VA Copolymer — A petroleum-derived chemical used in hairsprays, styling aids and other cosmetics. It can be considered toxic, since inhaled particles can damage the lungs of sensitive persons.

8. Stearalkonium Chloride — A quaternary ammonium compound used in hair conditioners and creams. Developed by the fabric industry as a fabric softener, it is a lot cheaper and easier to use in hair conditioning formulas than proteins or herbals, which are beneficial to the hair. Causes allergic reactions. Toxic.

9. Synthetic Colors — Used to make cosmetics "pretty," synthetic colors, along with synthetic hair dyes, should be avoided at all costs. They will be labeled as FD&C or D&C, followed by a color and a number. Example: FD&C Red No. 6 / D&C Green No. 6. Many synthetic colors can be carcinogenic. If a cosmetic contains them, don't use it.

10. Synthetic Fragrances — The synthetic fragrances used in cosmetics can have as many as 200 ingredients. There is no way to know what the chemicals are, since on the label it will simply read "fragrance." Some problems caused by these chemicals include headaches, dizziness, rash, hyperpigmentation, violent coughing, vomiting, skin irritation—the list goes on. Advice: Don't buy a cosmetic that has the word "fragrance" on the ingredients label.

--http://aubrey-organics.com/about/treat_10synth.cfm

Also Bismuth Oxychloride can be very irritating to sensitive skin as well. :flower:

Yep,and there's hundreds more :shock:

My philosophy is,if you can't eat it,don't put it on your skin.All these chemicals will eventually go into your system and who knows the unknown damage it may be causing you.

fantastic thread kaleigh- thankyou :flower:

i read an article very similar once and cut it out....i try to remember to refer to it when i'm buying products but i need to try harder....i'm sure my bathroom cabinet is full of no-no ingredients....

you are right....we focus so much on the quality of the food we eat and we forget about beauty products,cleaning products etc....all of which affect our bodies just as much....

I barely use any products anymore. Just a basic moisturiser and then i use a facial brush. I clean the facial brush with this natural cleanser you can buy over here (made from a few plants)

Yea they are toxic but sometimes you need them for the cosmetics to be effective, otherwise you might as well slap on lard and hope it will do something...plus the concentration they put in cosmetics are relatively safe...so I'd take everything you read with a grain of salt

Foxie-Pooh said:
Yea they are toxic but sometimes you need them for the cosmetics to be effective, otherwise you might as well slap on lard and hope it will do something...

just wondering if you could clarify this statement?...
what exactly do you mean?....
what has any of this got to do with lard??....
:unsure:....

there are many all-natural/organic lines of beauty products on the market that provide all the "good" ingredients without the "bad"....and include naturally-occuring ingredients to act as the preservative/colour/etc which is what the chemicals normally do....

it's not a matter of all or nothing....
to say that you want to buy products without harmful chemicals doesnt mean you put lard on your face and hope....
it means you look for products that use natural, healthy ingredients...
i dont understand your point?....

I know those things are bad for me but I honestly don't care that much. If something irritates my skin I won't use it. Otherwise I will just buy what I like. Probably not the best but I can't be perfect. Everything in moderation is ok in my opinion. Thanks for the info though.:flower:

I was just saying that many of the things listed are emulsifiers and delivery agents. If you don't really use them then you might have problem with the product's bioavailability...which means that the ingredients will not be able to penetrate the skin to do its job. Of course some molecules can be absorbed readily by the skin, but most of the ones used on the market can't achieve that without other agents. So if you put something on your face that cannot be utilized by the skin then what is the purpose of that? Also, "natural" ingredients aren't always safe. There are very little study done on some of the organic ingredients to assure their efficacy and long term safety. Anyway, with the passing of REACH many of the problems should be addressed and corrected

I think it's perfectly fine, it gives the consumer an idea of what could be harmful and manufacturer some sort of a push to change the composition of their products.

Thanks adorefaith.
But isn't it true? People should be aware of what could potentially harm them.
Life has an easy way out, but it isn't always the best way out.
People are becoming more health-conscious recently, and by no doubt, if companies push to produce less harmful ingredients in their products, consumers will heed the call.
Therefore, it doesn't particularly become damning to anyone, especially the consumer.
After all, marketing is all about attracting people.

And to the previous call about creating foam and such, I'm sure there are substitutes one can synthesise to create something harmless that doesn't affect the product's usefulness in a negative way.

Thanks for this thread! I have become very aware lately of the chemicals found in everyday products and am alarmed and disturbed. I switched to an organic deodorant (we'll see how THAT works out during the summer. lol) and am making my own household cleansers. I don't need a shampoo that lathers if it is full of chemicals. I would much rather be chemical free.

Basically, I just like to know what is in the products I use and eat...and that I can actually pronounce the ingredients. The closer a product is to natural, the more I prefer it.

10. Synthetic Fragrances — The synthetic fragrances used in cosmetics can have as many as 200 ingredients. There is no way to know what the chemicals are, since on the label it will simply read "fragrance." Some problems caused by these chemicals include headaches, dizziness, rash, hyperpigmentation, violent coughing, vomiting, skin irritation—the list goes on. Advice: Don't buy a cosmetic that has the word "fragrance" on the ingredients label.

This is the biggest one for me. It's certainly easier to stay away from things you have an obvious reaction to. I just switched hair serums to Kiehl's, and although it has "fragrance" on the label, it's not a typical alcoholic smell that's in most perfumes, it's an organic scent that I recognize.

But I'm curious if it's really bad for everyone, or just people who have an allergic reaction to it. Some people are allergic to pollen, but does that mean everyone should be avoiding it? I think maybe it's the same thing here. I don't know that if you're not allergic to some of these things that you should have to avoid them.

I'm a bit skeptical of the whole organic thing. While I understand the appeal, there are plenty of things in nature that can cause allergic reactions. (I get a headache when it rains. I got a rash from a vine. My eyes water in the spring. etc..) I think there's too much black and white labelling going on here. Like indigoskies said, everything is a chemical. It's not that whatever is bad for you is a chemical, and everything organic is harmless. I just pay attention to my own body's needs, with the exception of chemicals that have proven toxic.

Am I wrong here or what?

I'm actually incredibly allergic to petroleum, in any form. It causes all sorts of swelling, itching, hives, rashes, and I've even had breathing problems when it's near my face.
Buying makeup can be rather difficult becuase of it.

Pavement, you're absolutely right. Even with organic, all-natural products, I still have to read the labels. There are plenty of things in nature that do nothing but harm for me that don't bother other people. I think it's like anything else in life; you have to choose according to your specific needs. Nothing is "one-size-fits-all".

However, the list Kaleigh posted is a very good reference of things to watch out for. I think I may print out a little wallet size so I know the exact names...

It's a legal requirement to specify exactly what products are used in the shampoo. Therefore, even if they use an aloe vera extract, they have to specify the exact name of the chemicals used from the aloe vera extract.

^ As far as buying organic produce goes, all the research I have been reading lately seems to say the same thing. It is most important to buy organic for foods where you eat the skin, such as grapes, apples, peaches, strawberries, etc. Foods like bananas and canteloupe are not as important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->