1905-1957 Christian Dior

130_1.jpg

130_2.jpg

130_3.jpg

130_4.jpg

A fine Christian Dior haute couture brown tulle evening gown "Esther" Profile Line, Autumn-Winter 1952, labelled and numbered 20764, and with client tag `Mrs Wanamaker' and also with separate label `Tribout Shop John Wanamaker', the strapless boned bodice and full skirt applied with velvet roundels edged in sparkling gold bugle beads and tiny sequins, the roundels segment and enlarge as they descend the skirt interspesed with godets of vermicalar bugle beads, two tulle petticoats give fullness to the skirt which is mid-calf length for dancing, bust 86cm, 34in, waist 66cm, 26in Dior's Profile line in the Autumn of 1952 was as the name suggested a collection of quite sharp and distinct silhouettes that hugged the body and emphasised the hips. It was sober but sexy as Dior edited out what he called "fashion fripperies" and black and brown were repeated throughout the collection. Many of the day and evening gowns used bare skin for maximum impact with strapless bodices or daring decolletage. The velvet adornments and beading on this "Esther" gown are cleverly graduated to emphasise the curve of the breasts to the narrow waist above the full skirt which served to empasise the hips. Vogue reported that Dior's preferred hem-length was about 11 1/2in from the ground - and they helpfully suggested that the height of the magazine could be used as a measure. The fact that the gown shows both a retail and a couture label suggests that the couture dress was probably sold by Dior under licence to the US so that it could be copied. The original couture gowns were often re-exported across the Canadian border so that the duties paid upon import to the US could be reclaimed and then sold onto a department store or deluxe dress establishment. The Mrs Wanamaker written on the muslin tag was presumably the wife of the retailer.
kerrytaylorauctions.com

I love the "Abandon Afternoon Dress". The neck is the best part.
It is so great to see how much fashion has changed, yet it is the same in so many ways and so much is coming back from decades ago. Great pictures!

Have you heard about the exhibition of Dior couture ball gowns at Christian Dior's childhood home in Granville? I went to see it last week and it was really impressive! It will close in 5 days.

dior-sequin-gown.jpg

More pictures here

Caprice dress, Spring-Summer 1948 Haute Couture collection, Zig-Zag and Envol lines. Dress in royal blue wool.

Miss Dior evening dress, Spring-Summer 1949 Haute Couture collection, Trompe-l'oeil line. Short dress embroidered with countless flowers.

Ball gown of white cotton piqué with ivy decoration, worn with a burgundy velvet belt. Circa 1950.

Mirza dress, Spring-Summer 1951 Haute Couture collection, Naturelle line. Afternoon dress of midnight-blue silk with white polka-dots, featuring neckline bodice of midnight-blue velvet.

Dior models in Athens 1951.

Palmyre dress, Autumn-Winter 1952-1953 Haute Couture collection, Profilée line. Long bustier dress of blue satin embroidered with blue stones, beads, and silver thread.

Curaçao dress, Autumn-Winter 1954-1955 Haute Couture collection, H line. Cocktail dress in ivory silk faille. Bodice top with wide, gathered straps. Wide skirt with bow effect on left hip.

Muguet dance dress, Spring-Summer 1957 Haute Couture collection, Libre line. Dress in white cotton organdy, embroidered with garlands of lily-of-the-valley

inspirationdior.com

Absolutely stunning. This is what I want the fashion world to go back to. Timeless indeed.

Dior 1955: Asian or oriental inspirations?
"Soirée d´Orient" a steath dress under jeweled caftan.

Attachments

• DiorWomensHomeCompanionOct1955p46a.jpg
    DiorWomensHomeCompanionOct1955p46a.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 27
Man, I'd be happy if we filled 100 pages with these things!! I can't get enough of vintage Dior!B)

(The Legendary) Suzy Parker in Christian Dior for Vogue, April 1952.

2yocnti.jpg

NiftyFifties Tumblr

^That exhibition sounds amazing! Really wish I was in France!

^ Sounds amazing! I hope there is a new interest in CD and his designs for the few short years he worked; as much as it is understandable that the JG crisis and afterward was a big deal, I still feel that the original clothes are worth lots of attention! ^_^

"Junon" details in UHQ

lofficiel.com

Life - March 3, 1957
"Dior Celebrates a Decade at the Very Top"
Photographer: Loomis Dean

google.books

Life - March 3, 1957, Part 1
Photographer:
Loomis Dean

artsandculture.google

Life - March 3, 1957, Part 2
Photographer: