1936-2008 Yves Saint Laurent

ok some new books releases ...

First the YSL Bergé collection The sale of the century :
http://www.amazon.fr/Saint-Laurent-...ie=UTF8&s=english-books&qid=1263829301&sr=8-4
a book about the YSL Bergé collection has already been published. So I don't know what this one has of new ... Couldn't flipped through it, it was under plastic.

and another biography of YSL (but a rather dirty side of him:(
Saint Laurent, mauvais garçon (YSL, Bad Boy)
http://www.amazon.fr/Saint-laurent-...1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1263829329&sr=8-1-fkmr1
* I guess it will be translated one day.

Last edited by a moderator:
the website for YSL retrospective is "under construction"
http://www.yslretrospective.com/attente/
soon to be released ...

La Fondation Pierre Bergé-Yves Saint Laurent et le Petit Palais, Musée des Beaux- Arts de la Ville de Paris, présentent la première rétrospective sur l’intégralité de l’oeuvre d’Yves Saint Laurent. 307 modèles de haute couture et prêt-à-porter sont exposés depuis les débuts du couturier chez Dior en 1958, avec la fameuse collection “ Trapèze ”, jusqu’à la splendeur des robes du soir de 2002. De nombreuses photographies et films illustrent, le contexte historique, la construction du style Yves Saint Laurent et les fondements de son oeuvre.
En 40 ans de création, Yves Saint Laurent a révolutionné la garde-robe de la femme en empruntant au vestiaire masculin le smoking, le tailleur pantalon et la saharienne pour en vêtir les femmes : il fit ainsi passer les attributs du pouvoir d’un sexe à l’autre.
S’inspirant de la rue (collection scandale 1971), de ses voyages imaginaires (Russie, Chine, Inde, Espagne, Japon, Afrique et Maroc) et de son dialogue avec l’Art (Mondrian, Picasso, Matisse, Van Gogh), Yves Saint Laurent n’a cessé “ de faire de la mode une fête ”.

nothing very excited has been added ...
but we now know the retrospective will include his work at Christian Dior ....

The Alain Chamfort album about YSL biography is out ...
I hadn't find the news in english. So I won't post "news" quote ....
But the Digipack is on sale for 5.5 euros on ventre-privee.com
It will be 25 @ FNAC etc.

I don't know yet if there'll be english press release or even promotion, but I found nothing ....

Find all (in FRENCH) :
http://www.alain-chamfort.net/actualite/ysl.php

Attachments

• UNE VIE YSL couv ptt.jpg
    UNE VIE YSL couv ptt.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 378
Last edited by a moderator:
The Retrospective has opened some days ago in Paris ....
If you cannot come in Paris, do not hesitate to buy the catalogue !!!! I've heard it's a GREAT catalogue !

You can visit the YSL Retrospective site, too ...
http://www.yslretrospective.com

I visited the retrospective last week and it is truly amazing. If you can go, I highly recommend it. It's very complete with more than 300 silhouettes on display and the presentation is good overall (except for the tuxedos which you can't really see despite the fact that it is probably YSL's most iconic design). I rented an audioguide and the comments were worth it.

Here are a few of the pictures I took to give you an idea :

yves-saint-laurent-robe-laetitia-casta.jpg

yves-saint-laurent-retrospective-1.jpg

yves-saint-laurent-retrospective-africa-2.jpg

yves-saint-laurent-retrospective-evening-gowns-1.jpg

Ritournelle blog

It looks amazing.
Thanks for sharing FrenchCactus. :flower:

I wish I could find time to go but it's nearly over now...

It looks amazing.
Thanks for sharing FrenchCactus.

I wish I could find time to go but it's nearly over now...

You're welcome, I'm glad you like it :smile:
It will close on August 29th, so you still have a couple of weeks to go.
I highly recommend you reserve your entry ticket from fnac.com for example though, because otherwise you may have to wait a couple of hours outside to get in!

Pierre Bergé Pays Tribute to Yves Saint Laurent in L'Amour Fou
by Stéphane Gaboué
2m5jrx5.jpg

Because the world can't get enough of Yves Saint Laurent, an entertaining documentary by Pierre Thoretton has just premiered at the Toronto Film Festival. L'Amour Fou recounts the love story between Yves Saint Laurent and Pierre Bergé, a glamourous tale of infatuation (and sometimes torment) beginning in 1958 and culminating in a French civil partnership shortly before the designer's passing in 2008.

Surprisingly, or perhaps not, Bergé is essentially the only person interviewed (by Thomas Doustaly, the former editor of the Bergé-owned, gay French magazine Têtu). As a result, the film is a highly romanticized and sanitized account of their life together. The philandering intrigues suggested in The Beautiful Fall, Alicia Drake's infamous book, are all but avoided. Still, Bergé mentions a night in 1976 when Saint Laurent arrived at their Paris home, only to go back out with a group of guys awaiting him outside. This led to Bergé leaving their luxurious apartment and spending a month in a suite at the Plaza Athénée.

Saint Laurent's bouts with depression, alcohol and drugs are also touched upon, mostly by Betty Catroux, his companion and confidante. But the designer's humorous side is also revealed. In one interview, he was asked what his idea of happiness is. "A crowded bed," he replied. How would you like to die? "In my bed, crowded," he said with his puckish grin.

L'Amour Fou is punctuated throughout with scenes of the couple's astounding art collection being removed from their home last year and the hysteria it caused at auction. These images accurately convey what the documentary is really about: a bereft man looking back at an extraordinary life. In French cinemas September 22.
hintmag

^ Seeing the images of his shows in this video still gives me goosebumps. There will never be anything like them ever again.

I saw the movie yesterday, in a little cinéma, in the countryside ...

I didn't read or hear anything about the movie, before I entered the room.
The film starts with Yves during a press conference where he annouces he quits fashion.
* i cried
Then, there is Pierre Bergé saying "Good Bye" to Yves to the funeral of this last.
* i cried
** yes, i had cried twice in 10 min.

Anyway, the movie is full of archives (photos, vidéos etc. I have never seen bfore), so for this it is great.
and ...

i wanted to tell more about the + or the - ....
but actually, this is a great documentary !!!
and whatever i think of Pierre is pretty much obsolete there. Their love affair is a great love story on the screen. the one that can make a book (that is where probably, i find this love story pretty romancée).
it is true that it is a little much oriented on Pierre Bergé (for instance, this part of the politics, François Mitterand ...) but it at least it gives an insight of Pierre. A pretty mysterious character to me.

I saw the movie last night at the rome film festival. SO beautiful. I cried aswell, especially at the beginnin, in the exact moments that belinrocks mentioned. Other than deeply 'sentimental' it's also full of rare archive footage, and it's actually very interesting to hear pierre's point of view on yves and their life together. I can't wait to own this in dvd.
The way they show how pierre put everything on sale is perfectly put, in a symbolic point of view.
And i'd never seen their house in normandy. one of the most beautiful places i've ever seen.

excuse me, anyone have infomation about the collection inspired by the traditional costume of Vietnam - Ao Dai? I read that he did all the pieces in black, but haven't seen any pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellbell
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"