1950s-1980s Pierre Cardin

tott

slightly dizzy
Reaction score
I realised we didn't have a thread on Pierre Cardin, and I think he deserves one...

Pierre Cardin is best known nowadays for endorsing everything from cigarette lighters and olive oil to orthopedic mattresses, but he was a very important designer during a couple of decades.

Pierre Cardin was born on July 7, 1922, near Venice, Italy, to French parents. He moved to Paris in 1945. There he studied architecture and worked with Paquin after the war. Work with Schiaparelli followed until he became head of Christian Dior's tailleure atelier in 1947, but was denied work at Balenciaga. He founded his own house in 1950 and began with haute couture in 1953. He was known for his avant-garde style, to be a space age designer. He prefers geometric shapes and motifs, often ignoring the female form. He introduced the "bubble dress" in 1954.

In 1957 Cardin opened a menswear boutique in Paris where he sold new, informal men's gear like collarless jackets and roll neck jumpers. He made collarless suits which the Beatles' later stage costume resembled.

Most of Cardin's early designs were day suits and coats with raglan sleeves, dresses that foreshadowed the sack line with their front-defined waistlines and Watteau backs. Some suits and dresses had tulip-shaped skirts and boxy waists, brushing jackets with rolled or scarf-tied collars. He also designed coats with draped hemlines, bubble skirts and unstructured chemises. Cardin had perfected immaculate, sleek tailoring and allowed his febrile admiration to catch fire. His clothes had the trappings of science-fiction and space travel.

The world gasped at his space age 3-D shift, his astronaut men's look and his "white breasts" dress. He made dresses out of vinyl, hammered metal rings, broaches of carpenters nails, and diamonds. The clothes shrunk in size as the patterns grew. Knitted catsuits, tight leather trousers, close-fitting helmets and batwing jumpsuits were all in his collections. He advanced into unisex fashions, sometimes experimental, and not always practical.

Cardin was the first couturier to turn to Japan as a high fashion market when he travelled there in 1959. In 1959, he was also expelled from the Chambre Syndicale for launching a ready-to-wear collection for the Printemps department store as the first couturier in Paris, but was soon reinstated. However, he resigned from the Chambre Syndicale in 1966 and now shows his collections in his own venue, the Espace Cardin (opened 1971) in Paris, formerly the Théâtre des Ambassadeurs, near the American Embassy. The Espace Cardin is also used to promote new artistic talents, like theater ensembles, musicians, etc.

Sources: V&A, wikipedia
Pics: pierrecardin.com, V&A

Attachments

• t75_1974_page.jpg
    t75_1974_page.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 23
  • t703_1974.jpg
    t703_1974.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 24
  • t260_1983.jpg
    t260_1983.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 22
  • t324_1978.jpg
    t324_1978.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 19
More:

Attachments

• Cardin 12.jpg
    Cardin 12.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Cardin 11.jpg
    Cardin 11.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Cardin 10.jpg
    Cardin 10.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Cardin 7.jpg
    Cardin 7.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 25
More...

Attachments

• Cardin 13.jpg
    Cardin 13.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Cardin 14.jpg
    Cardin 14.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 19
It wasn't as easy as I thought to find pics on the net... :unsure:

thanks for the thread, tott, i love fashion history:heart:
i have been trouble finding pre-internet designers' work online as well, i'll see if i can scan some pictures of cardin clothes...

Last edited by a moderator:
Estella Mare said:
thanks for the thread, tott, i love fashion history:heart:
i have been trouble finding pre-internet designers' work online as well, i'll see if i can scan some pictures of cardin clothes...

I love fashion history too so the pleasure was all mine :heart: and it would be great if you could scan something...! :woot:

And I agree, Ale: Courrèges was another great!

from the collection of the kyoto costume institute, published by taschen, scans by me

Attachments

• cardin.jpg
    cardin.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 29
  • cardinoi.jpg
    cardinoi.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 27
  • cardinp.jpg
    cardinp.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 25
^sorry, that's all i could find right now.

alejandro i believe space started a courrege thread sometime ago in case you didn't see it:heart:

i really like this
056%20Pierre%20Cardin.jpg

http://www.ewgbooks.com.

Thanks for creating this thread.. tott! :flower:

He truly is a very influential figure when it comes to fashion, so it is only right we had this thread.. Also with all these newcomers to the industry constantly popping up everywhere, it is really nice to look back on someone like Cardin, who has done so much for fashion.

He was the first one to show ready-to-wear,he practically created the modern-day fashion industry as we know it. He was also the first to show menswear.

Pierre Cardin is best known nowadays for endorsing everything from cigarette lighters and olive oil to orthopedic mattresses, but he was a very important designer during a couple of decades

Oh yeah... 900 licenses to be precise :ninja:

PS: I have some pictures as well.. I'll scan them tomorrow..

Love all the pics Estella! I love Cardin's work too - the lines he creates are sublime....

Beautiful pics, thanks! I obviously need to learn how to search for pics more effectively...

:P

Edit: http://images.google.com/ is my new best friend!

Couldn't wait until tomorrow.. ^_^

Sorry for the bad pictures.. I don't really have a scanner with me now..

Here are some of his "bubble dresses"

1st picture -- Main picture: Ready-to-wear 1969; top right: Ready-to-wear 1970; bottom left: Haute Couture 1968.

2nd picture -- Main picture: Ready-to-wear gown 1971; top left: Jewellry 1970; below: Ready-to-wear 1979

(credited to dazed&confused)

Attachments

• cardin1.jpg
    cardin1.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 22
  • cardin2.jpg
    cardin2.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 28

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads