A Retrospective: Gucci & Yves Saint Laurent under Tom Ford (1995-2004)

Thanks, Sweet rus!

Those videos make me really sad. There is nothing else like Tom Ford's Gucci shows.

OK, I tried to read all forty nine pages of this thread, just to understand the Tom Ford/Frida struggle, but of course, I was bored easily. LOL. So can someone tell me why Tom left the Gucci house?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom Ford left Gucci because I think there was a problem renewing his contract or something like that. I personally do not like Frida's work at Gucci because she has stripped it of the luxury appeal it had. It's blending in with all the other brands. It's become too.....common.....in my opinion.

And Matty, that's so fantastic! You are very lucky.....so so much! And Roxy Music is fantastic! :woot:

Never mind you all, I understand why he left. I also agree with you about Frida turning Gucci into a commercial, common brand. Thanks.

Thank you for posting the vid...unfortunately I can't watch the finale part. Could you repost pls?

:heart:

I love Tom Ford's 2000 era collections for YSL and Gucci. To be honest, when I first got into fashion, which was several years ago, I really knew very little about Tom Ford at Gucci and YSL and, as a matter of fact, I wasn't really interesting in him either. Now that he's not doing womenswear anymore, it's really the case of that not appreciating something until it's gone!

I would love for him to come back and start designing again. His aesthetic is SO gorgeous, so sleek, so sexy, modern, romantic...everything about it I adore. I wish we had some more full videos from his Gucci and YSL collections.

Plus, the man had the best taste in music AND models! He was also SO good at setting a mood for his shows...so few shows have such an atmosphere. He was genius. And having Carine as his number one fan is just a testament to how perfect he was!

I can't tell you how many times I've watched that tribute vid of FTV.

Tom Ford was really my first taste of fashion, though I didn't know it at the time. I was dragged into the Gucci flagship on 5th ave by my parents at 11 years old and dared to touch what I still consider to be the sexiest shoe ever, the pointed toe patent leather ankle strap pumps with 4 inch metal heel from f/w 97. Let's just say it was the first taste of something very addictive.

But the weird thing is that when I actually started following the shows in 2001 I really wasn't a fan of Gucci. That was when he was going through a very experimental phase with the robo-dom and biker chick collections he did. It wasn't until f/w 02 that I was completely blown away.

Everytime I see a new Gucci collection or campaign it just depresses and frustrates me. He needs to stop with the silly self promotion and get back into RTW......immediately.

Everytime I see a new Gucci collection or campaign it just depresses and frustrates me. He needs to stop with the silly self promotion and get back into RTW......immediately.
Once he left, classy and sophisticated sexiness seemed to disappear almost immediately. And I feel as though it still hasn't returned, and fashion NEEDS that aesthetic just as much as it needs Prada's aesthetic, Balenciaga's, Marc's, Galliano's, Olivier's, etc. NOBODY did sexy like Tom.

I would be in a permanent state of elation if he returned back to women's RTW, whether it be a Gucci (not YSL, I like Pilati at YSL) or at his own label.:rolleyes:

My first fashion love was Chanel because that's what I was exposed to with my mother and Versace because of my dad. But when I started to come into my own and learning my personal aesthetics, Tom Ford's work I related to so much. It was the minimalistic and dark luxury that I just fell in love with and the elegant and nonchalant lifestyle it portrayed. Under Tom Ford, Gucci had a "feeling" that has yet to be recreated. The pieces were just quality to me! In my eyes, it was demi-couture. I am really, really desperate for Tom to return to the major fashion realm. My dream would be to intern under him!

And I agree with you, Dior, that Pilati is perfect at YSL. The most amazing thing would be for Tom to return to Gucci. But that seems impossible because I don't think he'd accept it considering his pride. -_-

And I agree with you, Dior, that Pilati is perfect at YSL. The most amazing thing would be for Tom to return to Gucci. But that seems impossible because I don't think he'd accept it considering his pride. -_-
It'd be a dream come true if he returned to Gucci, but...all I care about is that he returns to womenswear FAST!!!:angry:

His work in the late 90's was a bit too minimal for my taste, but the stuff he did in the 2000's...:rolleyes: I miss so much that hedonistic luxury and painfully romantic glamor.:cry::heart:

It's true about the quality Sal.

I was in Gucci last week and a lot of the cruise stuff was in with some fall left over. It was very average looking, kind of run of the mill trendy mall store type stuff. It's still made well, but the luxury factor is gone. There aren't those tiny high-end details anymore, none of the precise cut. The things have no hanger appeal at all. Even the men's stuff was bad. Frida took a house signature (the velvet jacket) and transformed it into a hideous Sgt. Pepper jacket with polished buttons and satin piping.....it was beyond tacky.

I go in Gucci at points just to see things and it is always a disappointing trip (but yet I continue to do it.......). Frida has just destroyed so much of the Gucci identity.

Frida tried to do the details......
00480m.jpg

But it still looks cheap compared to.....

100096033.jpg

(Style.com)

And it upsets me that Tom is not showing anything on the catwalk because I can just see collection after collection from him in my mind.......all flawless.

I actually saw that jacket in person, the shoulders look rediculous taken off of a runway, and I didn't even see it on someone.

I still cannot forget how my friend reacted (who happened to be there) when I first heard Tom's departure from the Gucci/YSL house I honestly broke into tears

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->