A Retrospective: Gucci & Yves Saint Laurent under Tom Ford (1995-2004)

Those were some mediocre pole dancers. Videos like that of the Gucci F/W 2004 show are a reminder to those who object to Tom Ford's casting of a certain pop star in his womenswear debut show of the foundation upon which the Tom Ford legend was built. :innocent:

^ What....the....fuk. Sorry, not even Tom Ford is gonna make me like that.

I'm not sure how I feel about what I just saw; I love Tom Ford and I did enjoy the clothes but sharing his sentiments: what the f did I just see? The show was way too campy for my tastes. :o

well...
the pole dancing is a little distracting, the runway is a little too crowded haha :P
the boys could've actually worn 'less' clothes. boxers yes, KINGSIZEEXTRALONGLEG no, thank you. The girls look quite good, but their culottes could've also been a little sexier, no? *ilikethewaaaaaayyoumove* :innocent:

the clothes, are great indeed and very wearable still.

I just can't get enough of Tom Ford's Sex at Gucci! Lately I've into the stuff of the late 90s and early 00's to remind me of the trends that were going on when I was a kid. If I were born in the late 80s I would of really enjoyed more the early 00s and experience the whole sex scene that Tom Ford created. I miss all the provocative ads and seductive clothing at Gucci.

^^ and to think of what has become of the same fragance today -_-

envy_me.jpg

bonparfum.com

Wow. I'd never seen the Envy by Gucci commercial! It is so sexy. Thanks, ChrisGalaxY! And Dkammern, it's so true, how awful the bottle is now. I don't see anything remotely envious about it. It looks like a bad Dior product.:doh:

Envy Me was released in 2004, no? that was still in Tom Ford's timeframe i think, even tho it could have been released after his departure. i guess he still would have had to sign off on it, since a fragrance does take a while to be produced.

what i do notice tho, is that Gucci is currently slowly going back to Tom Ford era-esque presentation. i especially see it in the shopping back. after several years of pretty tacky ones (there was white with the script and those golden ones... were there more?), the current ones are closer to the old ones (black logo on dark brown paper, now it's gold logo on dark brown paper, albeit embossed with GG all over).

^^
gucci is trying hard to go back to what it used to be, it is true.
Frida stated so many times that she wanted to move away from it, that it is now a bit shameful to do it so blatantly, specially in some of the menswear and her last two collections for womenswear.

but, the change in the bags however came from "above" this time around.
apparently, monsieur Pinault (owner of the group) is more and more concerned about the environmental impact of his labels; or his wife is, actually...
anyway, the thing is he now admittedly and religiously follows her advise and he does things like driving a hybrid card, and "unglossing" shopping bags (making them 100% recyclable, no toxic colorants, etc.) and there you have the answer for the new bags! :smile:

EDIT: about the envy me thing, although it's very close to Fords departure, it could easily not be 'his' project. Developing new perfumes takes a lot less than we would like to think (or pay for unfortunately) and in gucci's case, it's Procter&Gamble how does all the fragrances (P&G=great power for developing and marketing new products in the blink of an eye)
In Ford's era it would've been him having the final yes/no... but specially with the change of powers when he left, and helped by the good economic performance of the new product, I don't see why they wouldn't have allowed it to continue under their portfolio (no matter how product and brand image related).

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I never bought anything Gucci/YSL and wasn't quite 100% sold on his take on menswear, there was a certain sleekness I found in a lot of it..At that time, I remember his wide-legged trousers speaking to me much more than Hedi's skinny-boy pants that were quickly being adopted by nearly everybody else.
tysonballoudailyfix5.jpg

(source: fashionisto.com)

I remember loving that look and the way it was styled in that photograph back when I got that issue of GQ or whatever it was. I still love it all these years later. Those flares are killer.

^Yeah, it was GQ..He also used the look of the flared style for his YSL menswear (a reference to the YSL of the 70s), and thinking "Wow, that's a look I wanna copy." (Wait, are there looks here from his YSL menswear days?)

When I look at this look, and look at Perry Ferrell in the John Varvatos ad, I can see yet another example of John Varvatos being heavily "inspired" from Tom Ford..And isn't imitation the greatest form of flattery?

The History of Gucci: 1994 - 2003 :heart:
from World Fashion Channel
sorry, but it's not the original soundtrack :(

Can anyone post his collection for YSL 03FW from firstview, that's my all-time favourite..

BTW does anyone here collect editorial photos of his old work(96-04, Gucci & YSL)? I have a few and will post them later..

All the Gucci collection is free to view on firstview...start from 96SS:woot:

This YouTube channel is officially the best thing YouTube has going for it...

Gucci S/S 1997

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->