The 90s Comeback

Anyone who thinks the 90s was a good era of style or thinks it was inspiration is >>>SAD<<<

I must be pretty sad then !
I love how the 90's style was "cool", some outfits were really ugly, but I don't know, I get the feeling that people had a lot more fun with clothes, it was more about the personality than nowadays (From what I remember...).

now if only music scene was as awesome as in the 90s....

Yeah, what a decade.
amen.gif

I must be pretty sad then !
I love how the 90's style was "cool", some outfits were really ugly, but I don't know, I get the feeling that people had a lot more fun with clothes, it was more about the personality than nowadays (From what I remember...).

amen.gif

As a teen of the early 90s, i was close to 14 when Nevermind was released, the only thing I can say is that if you look through my pics you won't find a single, WTF was I thinking! What I wore back then could be worn by any teenager today and no one would notice.
Jeans in the winter, shorts in the summer, dresses ,cropped tops, T-shirts, and surf wear, a lot of plaid and Converse day and night for everyone and it was basically it. Boys and girls half the time wore the exact same clothes the only difference being the size, but no one thought it was sexless. Girls still had breasts on the T-shirt and could shape the jeans in a different way, that was the thinking.
It was not sophisticated or particularly stylish, people have to make a clear distinction between what was on the catwalk or what people on TV wore and teens on the streets, but when i look back i think we had a good attitude regarding clothes and i can understand that an awful lot of young people will feel inspired by it. It was laid back, comfy and cool and a reaction against the excesses of the 80s, i see nothing particularly sad about it.

Typical 90s Look as I remember it. Laetitia is exactly my age, we were actually born on the same day.
My hair was like that back then(that's were the similarities end unfortunately Lol)

vjosa.publiku.com

Attachments

• Laetitia_Casta_Corsica_Young_(37).jpg
    Laetitia_Casta_Corsica_Young_(37).jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 65
90s fashion was shaped hugely by the attitude at the time. I always instantly think of leather jackets, Matrix-like outfits and REALLY sharp pant suits. I'm not sure how everyone else feels but the 90s was by far the most badass decade. Nowadays the kids would think it's "boring" because it was more on the minimal and serious side (which I LOVE), but who wouldn't go minimal after the catastrophic chaos that was the 80s?

I love the 90s! It was a more reckless and interesting time period in fashion, all the pattern mixing, androgyny, and grunge music. It was perfectly anti-fashion which made it so badass. I miss it and need to incorporate more of the reckless styling of the 90s. Even now, I feel like everything is so matchy matchy but it's hard to get away from!

I love the 90s! It was a more reckless and interesting time period in fashion

Not just in fashion but in the music and culture as well. From the grunge thing, to rap, and even R & B, there were a lot of permanent shifts that came with the artists of the 90s. Fashion just stems from the pure and rebellious energy of that time. It wasn't cool to be a follower back then, like I feel it is now...

^ Yes!! Conforming was the anti-cool. The 90s were quite snobby and it was all about walking to your own beat. But the number 1 thing I loved about the 90s was its sleekness. It was just so.....cool.

I take back what I said about the 90's being horrible fashion-wise. Looking at these blogs

http://****yeahugly90sclothes.tumblr.com/
http://****yeahawesome90s.tumblr.com/

makes me realize again that most of the fashion was actually pretty awesome. Dying to see all of that on the runway next season...I could totally see someone like Jeremy Scott or Topshop Unique or something do a whole collection based on this stuff. I definitely think the 90's look is slowly coming back and becoming the next big trend.

I cringe at the thought of some outfits I rocked in the 90's. I was already very fashion obsessed as a kid so I'd try a lot of the big trends even in 2nd grade already. I remember having a pair of Dr. Martens Oxfords which I wore with ripped jeans or cut off shorts and sleeveless paid shirts with a tied knot. I always wore those awkward waist chains. I did the whole raver thing with the pastel and neon midriff-baring tank tops.
The most horrid piece of clothing I ever owned were a pair of black velvet skintight bell bottom pants :rofl: But looking back I always looked very fashionable for a kid and I'd die to get to wear all those outrageous pieces again! :P

Last edited by a moderator:
^Aww, with those pictures you can literally observe how fashion got tamer with every season towards the late 90's. Thanks for the links, they show the everyday fashion of the late 90's in Europe quite well, IMO.
I was born in 1986, so yes, most of my 90's fashion memories are from around 94/95-99.

Those platform shoes in the 1998 picture are pure ugliness and I don't remember anyone here wearing this in the late 90's. Buffalo platform sneakers were big around 1995 and it's actually kind of weird that a lot of people associate them with the Spice Girls because even though they wore them all the time I don't think they ever got back in fashion thanks to them. At least not where I live.
OT but I really love all the pictured girl groups :lol: There are hardly any girl groups like this anymore. Total shame.

And ugh, denim halter tops and patchwork jeans, I had totally eliminated those from my memory :rofl:

Yeah, those girl groups always exactly wore the lastest mainstream trends, so I thought it was a good idea to put those groups on the pictures. :smile:

From 2004 till 2009 I was the owner of a 90s/00s nostalgy site; that's the reason of all the hard work (analysing yesterday's high street fashion, scanning the right pictures from countless magazines, searching Google and also sites like this, etcetera).

Yeah, fashion got tamer in the late 90s, but in 2000, it was party time. :wink:

Ahem...

Having lived through the 90s as a teenager (I was 13 in 1992) I remember these being staples throughout the decade:

sneakers/trainers with everything, and they had to look "cool" B)-either old-school pumas/adidas in jewel tones or colorful nikes, asics, any big name colorful sports sneaker.

Seriously baggy pants for girls
Hoodies on most jackets
heavy boots (Timbalands, Doc Martens)
PLATFORMS everything had a platform. It was great if you were a club kid. Think Lady Miss Kier, and raver sneakers. They toyed with a neo-disco vibe for a while there too.

There was a definite tomboy vibe to the 90's for young women. Lots of hip-hop influences. I remember being horrified when I got to college in the later part of the decade, and it was all about the p*rn star vibe of Britney Spears/Mariah/Pam Anderson (which has never really gone away)-short t-shirts mini skirts and stilettos that morphed into stripper heels which are still popular for women now.:innocent:

The early nineties may have beent the last decade for young American women to dress "butch" without being lablled "unfeminine."

Unisex perfume like CK One. Androgyny.

sports gear worn as regular clothing

Windbreakers
racer back tanks (worn loosely of course)
shiny sporty materials
bright colors
track pants

Then there was the other side which was the goth, long black skirt with heavy platforms, mary janes, baby dolls, dark red lips, princess leah buns, long black sweaters, plaid, fuzzy sweaters.

Silvery jewelry -Yes
Jewelry with Quartz crystal

Assymetrical haircuts
Hair dyed blue on one piece and the rest left natural (or purple, red, whatever)

Oversized T-shirts emblazooned with with cartoon characters or old tv shows or 70's name brands and ironic advertising under a dusty grey sweater with black tights.

Sigh...good times :blush:

^you´re forgetting the lycra dresses with flower prints and the scrunchies LOL
In my country in early 90s B+D had hair accessories that were a must, I can´t find pics though. Anyone knows what I´m talking about?

popcrunch.com
90s411.com

I love the 90s but some things should stay there. Platform shoes being a good example. I went to Daffy's the other week and there were quite a few of them. Although I did buy a dangerously similar Sister,Sister/Blossom kind of hat not too long ago, so I perhaps shouldn't be talking lol.

The first one is very reminiscent of the 90's, particularly the blouse and skirt. I like it!

The second dress...not so much 90's. That dropped waist wasn't around. And the boots back then were tougher...:P

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->