Aliona Doletskaya

^ Who is she anyway? I'll be impressed in her writing if she made it into Vogue. No Vogue, cheap talk

Well, she is the most popular, best-paid society and respected society columnist in Russia, her blog is widely read and she had columns in both GQ and Tatler, as well as two national newspapers. And if you read carefully, she doesn't DISS Alyona. All she says is that Alyona is not a writer and can't edit writing, which for Vogue, as everyone knows, is not even important. She actually describes Alyona is extremely charismatic and the driving force behind the magazine.
The article also tells the story of why she left, and she didn't leave at her own accord.

^ Can you translate the last part you mention? I wonder what the rumor is, the exact one, because i saw on few sites being mentioned that she was actually fired, and they were just saving face, by saying she wanted out herself. Its all very interesting......

^ Can you translate the last part you mention? I wonder what the rumor is, the exact one, because i saw on few sites being mentioned that she was actually fired, and they were just saving face, by saying she wanted out herself. Its all very interesting......

OK, im gonna do a VERY rough translation. But the text is huge..

'Legendary editor in chief of Vogue, living monument, Alyona Dolyetskaya was saying goodbye to her position and her friends in Bosco Cafe. 'Alyona, tell us how they ate you" - shouted Danila Polyakov, but his comment drowned in the sea of sycophants. While actually, the story of the editor in chief number one eaten alive deserves special attention. This is not just banal competition (?), but a triumph of an ant over a firefly, Salieri over Mozart, machinery over inspiration.

There's been talks for a long time that Alyona is finished. The President of Conde Nast Russia Karina Dobrotvorskaya was saying the name of Alyona Doletskaya even colder than usual over the last couple of months 'Everyone got so tired of her!" were saying people in the know. However, no one truly believed in the near downfall of Doletskaya - there was no one to replace her with. Even the position of Tatler's editor in chief went to an unknown.

If they couldnt find anyone right for Tatler, we cant even talk about the foundation of everything living - Vogue. They would replace her, but there is no one. There are only two living monuments in fashion - Evelina Khromchenko and Alyona Doleyskaya. 'It would have been funny to replace Alyona with Evelina', said some (?) well knowing it would never happen. Russian magazine market has taken on a trend for the faceless, nameless and speechless.

The official Conde Nast version of events is offensively blunt - Alyona is writing a book, a huge canvas and cant tear herself between the "War and Vogue" and running the magazine. Nobody believed in this 'c...p', but what's interesting is that Conde Nast didn't bother to invent anything believable. The silly invented excuse is just another part of humiliating firing of Doletskaya.'

(to be continued)

Behind the scenes of Vogue, there were talks about falling of advertising, but really, no one is counting. This is not a story about numbers, but about two women - Dobrotvorskaya and Doletskaya, or, if you wish, a story about Salieri and Mozart.

I am going to tell you about what 'Moscow's everyone' is talking about. Russian Vogue is based on Alyona's charisma, but if we take out Alyona the Beautiful, Vogue would remain a terribly boring magazine. Doesn't matter that Alyona can't write herself, she also has no sensitivity to language and can't tell a good text from an average (?) one. I wish I could write that firing of Doletskaya is attributed to the low quality of magazine content, like, they fired her because there was nothing to read in Vogue, that would have been ok. Alas, 'nothing to read' is not Alyona's invention. It seems, that is the politics of Conde Nast, and particularly Karina Dobrotvosrksaya, who was chewing on Alyona, like a dog chews on a slipper, when no one sees.

(then Bozhena talks about Alyona's deputy editor who tried to push some good textual content into Vogue but was stopped by Dobrotvorskaya who said Russian Vogue was made for "a young idiot" and that Dobrotvorskaya is not interested in making a good magazine, but a profitable project.)

'it is worse than a crime to take your readers for idiots. But I suppose, it is not Karina's invention but intentions of the people on the top. When Alyona was starting Vogue, she mentioned things like "Susan Sontat", however her wings were cut short pretty fast. The American owners were sending their own curators and the Russian Vogue was curated by an Australian director. From all international models of Vogue, the South Korean model was picked. The owner of Conde Nast decided that Russia was closest to South Korea, so there is no need for sophistication and ambiguity. Everything has to be blunt and obvious, like Cosmopolitan. Russian Vogue is minced, unlike French and American and this is what Dobrotvorskaya likes'.

(Then Bozhena talks more about texts and Vogue writers, not really relevant).

'There was no correlation between talent and a career in Conde Nast. Vogue was a heaven for girls, who were only special because they were not special in any way. The magazine was held by girls, whose meaning of life is defined by having a business card with Vogue written on it. Because without Vogue they are nobodies'.

Doletskaya positioned herself as a strong person, her crazy charisma charmed everybody. But she didn't have anything that was stronger all outside influence. I am gonna put it simply - Alyona was driven by admiration. The constant sychopanthy was making careers, that's was how an assistant could grow to become a deputy editor'.

(to be continued)

In the meantime, the unhealthy atmosphere in Conde Nast led to a situation, where the Moscow branch filled up with unprofessional mediocre sycophants. Backstabbing was welcomed, and the workers were making careers by stepping on each others feet. Betrayal was instrumental, and the main construction was the sick relationship between Karina and Alyona.

The eternal story - conflict of a firefly and an ant lasted for almost 10 years. Alyona is a light breathe, a charming interface, Karina is a steel determined plower, a Salieri, for whom everything comes with great difficulty. She has no flight in herself, but her patience and hard work would mince everything that's alive.

Long time ago Alyona Doletskaya brought her own death Karine Dobrotvorskaya into Vogue. Before that, Karina managed to work in the Premier Magazine, then got pregnant, then met Alyona by accident. As a result, Alyona made Karina her deputy.

The replacement who replaced her savior - this also is an eternal story. Miss Doletskaya gave herself a mate. How could she not notice the fatal danger on time? I suppose the reason lies in her inability to know human nature. Doletskaya was so passionately in love with herself, she couldn't see anything was wrong.

It seems that at the beginning, Dobrotvorskaya didn't target the position of the resident of the entire Conde Nast, but a position of editor of Vogue. But there was no direct path into that chair, the path lied through the editorship of AD. And while the narcissist was admiring herself, the quiet workers was making connections with the main bosses.

Notably, Alyona was not liked by the director of Conde Nast Anne Harvey, while Karine was lunching with her. Doletskaya wanted to be a star, not a pawn. Karine was working on her professional relationships, and always knew who the real bosses were. Everyone understood Karina was a real counterbalance to Alyona. I don't understand why Alyona made Karina her deputy in the first place, but I already noted Alyona is not a woman of great intelligence but great superficiality. It is amazing how she sometimes can't see the details.

In the magazine, Doletskaya was often under foreign influence, maybe because she was not sure of her own professional skills'. (The Bozhena talks about how Karina doesn't like confrontations and does everything behind people's backs).

Karina and Alyona are even stylistically different. The narcissist and the sturdy quiet working woman with wide bones, big arms and legs, unable to pick the right dress. She was skilfully playing her game, and when Alyona noticed and got nervous, it was too late. Karina was the president".

(TBC)

Bozhena's version sooo complicated :D
So, Dobrotvorskaya waited ten years to become VR's EIC, and when she finally was able to fire Aliona, Conde Nast said no to her being both EIC and president of CN, and that's why she decided to replace Aliona with Dovydova - somebody, who is easy to control... Whaaaat?

"The movement of former editor in chief of Glamour, former editor in chief of Tatler and recently appointed editor in chief of Vogue Viktoria Davydova was directly linked with Karina Dobrotvorskaya. Workers of Conde Nast called Viktoria Karina's favourite toy. And while Doletskaya is worth being talked about, the new editor of Vogue is a Karina's creation, nothing to discuss. Viktoria Davydova is not a person of Vogue scale, her charisma is zero, her charm is in negative numbers, she can't put two words together and cannot even write decent captions to photographs. Creativity? If the invention of thread and needle was Viktoria's responsibility, the humanity would still be walking in animal skins. She became the editor through her servitude and cunning nature - there 'she didn't understand', here 'she didn't hear', and where she was confronted, Viktoria would flee to the bathroom.

The first issues of Tatler were not bad, but throughout the first 6 months, the whole team left. In the world of fashion magazine, Tatler distinguishes itself. It is not a glittering snot in syrup, but a sharp magazine about high society. Under Davydova's leadership, it turned into a toothless hypocrite."

(Then Bozhena gives some examples of bad, 'toothless', boring content, not relevant to Doletskaya)

"However, Karina needed a person who would be easily manipulated, and while she had conflicts with Alyona about the content and covers, Davydova agreed with everything. Davydova's appointment is a clear message - the magazines are published by Conde Nast, not the invited stars. And Davydova is exactly that - part of a system, a machine, and not a theatre of one actor...

Dobrotvorskaya couldn't be a two positions at once, but the experience with Davydova shows that she would be easily pushed around. It seems that the editor in chief of Vogue will be Davydova, but the de facto editor Dobrotvorskaya.

Alyona Doletskaya was fired cruelly. Allegedly she was given two hours to clean her desk. Allegedly, the team came in the morning, turned on their computers and found the nasty message, and Doletskaya found out at the same time. Others say she was called from the Vogue head office and told she was fired and has so much time to clean the office. In any case, she was probably given triple redundancy package, but she was still fired in the most offensive way. If we didn't know Alyona did the same to many others, we would feel sorry for her.

I woudl risk to suppose, that the circle of betrayal will get to Dobrotvorksaya herself. The devil of Fashion laughs cruelly at anyone who would put their lives for Conde Nast, and would mince anybody for whom Vogue is the meaning of life. The only ones who would survive are people who are above the battle. The Operation "Getting Rid of Doletskaya" was Dobrotvorskaya's Stalingrad, she ate Doletskaya but spent almost a decade on it.
I predict social death for Dobrotvorskaya and wait till this moment comes true. But I am afraid, I mistake my wishes for reality".

Bozhena Rysnka for Gazeta.Ru

I have to say, this translation does the text no justice, but you got the gist of it.

That was an interesting read, thanks for spending all that time translating for us.

When will we hear Alyona's side I wonder?

I'm speechless. 10 years? Wow

OK, im gonna do a VERY rough translation. But the text is huge..
Woah, thanks so much for the translation. VERY interesting, and most importantly it truly does not look good for the VR future. Man, what a bumer, it seems its headed to become one of those generic editions whose sole purpose is creating $$$$$, with uninspired content.

ps: I truly hope she was not given two hours to clear her desk, that is so cruel, after 13 years!! But it happened to the legendary Vreeland, so im sure it could have been the case here as well.

with Anna Dello Russo

jak&jil

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoa thank you so much Yanka for taking the time translating the article :flower: Definitely an interesting read.

I remember Diana Vreeland when read all this articles about Alyona's discharging in russian newspapers...

^Was she on holiday or were these pictures shot for a magazine article? Either way she looks so beautiful and happy in these shots, thanks for sharing them ADLET! :smile:

^^ I think she was on holiday. Or as shockalika mentioned she escaped from Moscow after the news...Thanks for posting ADLET :flower: She looks great in the all white ensemble. Glad she had a good time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aliona in Venice with Naomi and Vladislav

vogue.ru; zimbio.ru

I'm sorry but someone looks like the third wheel on that outing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->