All About Internships and Work Experience Placements

I would love to get an intership at Gucci. From what I have seen, people get these opportunities through their university/college. Gucci posts retail internships at certain schools like NYU, or Univ. of Hawaii....for their local store. There is no minimum requirements, and no experience necessary. You just have to be at the right place at the right time. Since I live in Michigan, I guess I'll have to settle for less--its highly unlikely that any of the big designers will offer internships at such small locations. Nordstrom offers summer internships, you can apply through their website. :flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
High school internships in the fashion world

I'm very interested in fashion (haha would I be here if I wasn't!) and I want to learn more about working in the industry - particularly at a fashion magazine, but really, anything petaining to fashion. Does anyone know of internship opportunities that a high school student like I am could have?

Were you a slave when you interned for a designer?

:unsure: Hi, I am interning with an up-an-coming designer in NY who was from the top fashion school and her stuff is carried in the top stores, it's been several months, but I learnt nothing.

Everytime I went to her studio, I didn't have to take off my jacket as I stepped in because I was immediately sent downtown or uptown, former for dropping off things to the showroom and PR office, latter for dropping off patterns or picking up samples. I lugged bolts of fabric in rain while they could have given me a ride because as I got back, they just drove back from the same area moments ago. She also sent her interns to return her sweater to Barneys or books to bookstores.

Please tell me is it what's supposed to be like interning for designers? Be it Dior or H&M? I really don't mind working for no money, but it irks me working for no knowledge. I literally had to squeeze the knowlege out of them, asking"why this why that" and got the shortest reply possible.

They have no problem finding new slaves though. They don't seem to care and I have never seen them giving anything -- free or reduced priced designs --- to any interns. Remember " The Devil Wears Prada" in which the auther was complaining having to run ANNA's errands? Buying coffee or drycleaning? But she got paid doing that! And she was driving her Jaguar on the opening scene while doing that! (but it is still bad)

Please tell us your interning experience, how good or how bad. Should I stay or should I go?

cassavetes said:
:unsure: Hi, I am interning with an up-an-coming designer in NY who was from the top fashion school and her stuff is carried in the top stores, it's been several months, but I learnt nothing.

Everytime I went to her studio, I didn't have to take off my jacket as I stepped in because I was immediately sent downtown or uptown, former for dropping off things to the showroom and PR office, latter for dropping off patterns or picking up samples. I lugged bolts of fabric in rain while they could have given me a ride because as I got back, they just drove back from the same area moments ago. She also sent her interns to return her sweater to Barneys or books to bookstores.

Please tell me is it what's supposed to be like interning for designers? Be it Dior or H&M? I really don't mind working for no money, but it irks me working for no knowledge. I literally had to squeeze the knowlege out of them, asking"why this why that" and got the shortest reply possible.

They have no problem finding new slaves though. They don't seem to care and I have never seen them giving anything -- free or reduced priced designs --- to any interns. Remember " The Devil Wears Prada" in which the auther was complaining having to run ANNA's errands? Buying coffee or drycleaning? But she got paid doing that! And she was driving her Jaguar on the opening scene while doing that! (but it is still bad)

Please tell us your interning experience, how good or how bad. Should I stay or should I go?

From the sound of it, you're an unpaid PA. I would leave, you can find better. By now I would have been like "b*tch, return your own sweater, Im here to learn"

Fashion Internship

hiya, this is my 1st post ! j'adore this forum ! it's awesome.

anyho's, i wanted to ask if you guys knew any fashion internships in Europe or New York for highschool student ?
i'd really appreciate it if you guys replied !^_^

Fashion Mag Internships?

Hey guys,
I was wondering how I would go about finding an internship at a fashion magazine or even just a womans magazine? I've been searching the internet for postings without much luck.
Thanks!:heart:

go to the magazine's webpage, under contact us, you could try emailing one of the editors or something! :smile:

Internship Experiences

What are your best and worst fashion internship experiences? I am applying for internships and I would like to know what to expect and to avoid.:P

How do you go about obtaining fashion internships? Do you have to be majoring in something related to fashion? Because I'm majoring in journalism right now but want to go to fashion school after i graduate and id really like to gain experience any way i can! Please any input would be helpful!

i am a majoring in journalism too, would like to try internship

Anyone ever interned for an ad agency? I'm planning on doing that this summer (my aunt works for one). What might I expect?

.francesca said:
regarding magazine internships - check magazine websites, much of the time they'll have a section/email address for inquiring about internships.

some off the top of my head:

http://www.surfacemag.com surface magazine

http://www.somamagazine.com soma magazine

http://www.flaunt.com flaunt magazine

http://www.nylonmag.com nylon magazine

good luck! :smile:
i currently intern with soma- what kind of an internship are you looking for? generally the positions with soma are editorial in sf as the fashion dept is in ny.

Hey I'd love to intern at NYLON, and have been loooking around on their web site but can't find any info abot internships... can anyone help?? Thanks.

I've found an internship in PR at a fashion house through hotjobs believe it or not. I also had an internship at a magazine that I found through fashion.net.

Also, if you want an internship at a magazine I would suggest emailing your resume/cover letter directly to the Merchandise editor. They work in the fashion closet which is the most likely place you'll end up working in.

Good luck!

I am looking for an internship in fashion but specifically in costuming for stage shows and I was wondering if you had any pointers on places to look to get into this.

Does anyone know how to get a fashion or magazine internship in South Korea? I would love to intern in Korea, but I can't seem to find any. :(

any help would be much appreciated :flower:

Looking for Fashion Internships this Summer!!

Helloo Hellooo..!!! Summer is coming up and I think im not the only one frustrated looking for fashion internships this summer^_^.:cry::shock:

I am an international student from Panama and unfortunately I dont go to a fashion school in NYC, therefore im kind of on my own, and I find it extremely hard to get into the fashion business either advertising, pr or working in the marketing inhouse dept. of a designer without knowing any contacts and expecting them to reply my emails !!

Please feel free to post advice for people like me, any personal experiences and success stories and any job openings you have heard of...
:bunny::alien::zorro::magic::meow::clap::stuart::rolleyes::crush:::

Thanks guys, HAVE A GREAT LONG WEEKEND!:heart:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sl4vicd0ll
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->