All About Internships and Work Experience Placements

Well.. you could look up the contact details of the designer u want to intern for and email them and ask if they have a space available for you... it might seem a bit scary at first but they dont bite!:D

does anyone know if there are any good internships dealing with any area in the fashion industry in SAN FRANCISCO, CA??? perhaps one dealing with trunk shows or runways or designers...etc

Lena said:
i'm looking for a local styling intern, based in athens greece..
only one shooting a week -at the moment- but it will grow quick
hope someone local sees this

please pm me thanks

this really makes me wish i were in greece right now!! especially since i am greek and can speak it and all...

oh well, i hope you found someone capable lena! :flower: if not maybe i can convince my parents to let me fly over :innocent:

SanFranGirl said:
i am interested in interning while I pursue a fashion design degree. I am clueless as to how to go about this though. I would imagine all the companies get flooded with requests for internships and don't really want to hire anyone without any experience. Any information or advice would be adored :heart:

My most valued lesson: you have no idea who your friends are or will be :wink:I hope this helps, but if it doesn't I'll elaborate:

Ask anyone: someone is friends with someone who is someone in your respecitve field. Local artists and designers love it when you ask to help: it flatters them and if it doesn't then they're too big for themselves, so don't fret, and just keep looking. I've been volunteering at the Royal Ontario Museum for years and I've met just about everyone who's anyone. Just ask, and don't overlook anything that seems to look "not big enough" for you. the more "hats" you get to wear, the better - whatever builds as many transferrable skills the most is key also.

good luck!

i got an internship online with a small online magazine called papierdoll.net

it's been almost a year now, but i love it. it's all online, so basically i just work with the editor in chief, and occassionally the beauty editor if what i'm writing is more along those lines. i've gotten tons of experience and things published and i'm not dealing with any of the crummy work i would run into at an internship where i reported to an office everyday. i'm now billed on the masterhead, but i still don't get paid anything. it's building an ace resume though.

Fashion Internships

Hey I recently found this site and I'm already loving it... so here's my first thread..hopefully it hasn't been done yet.

It would be great to know if anyone here has ever landed an internship at any of the fashion magazines in Toronto; It would be wonderfull if anyone can give me pointers by sending me in the right direction.

My problem being is that, I have less than a week to decide weather I should live on campus for Ryerson University, because it is alot of money, and I want the experience to be usefull.
Therefore I was wondering if anyone has ever lived on Campus at Ryerson.. and if they have...were you in any sord of fashion or business program, and how hard was it to find places in downtown to volunteer or find any kind of business/fashion related jobs?^_^

Do you think its too late to apply for a Marc Jacobs summer internship? On the website it says they are still accepting applications for summer but I feel like they have probably selected all their interns by now. Should I just go ahead and give it a shot anyways?
Thanks!

mkfan said:
Do you think its too late to apply for a Marc Jacobs summer internship? On the website it says they are still accepting applications for summer but I feel like they have probably selected all their interns by now. Should I just go ahead and give it a shot anyways?
Thanks!

i think you have nothing to lose in contacting them to find out and also to show that you are interested... you never know what you may find

ChrissyM said:
this really makes me wish i were in greece right now!! especially since i am greek and can speak it and all...

oh well, i hope you found someone capable lena! :flower: if not maybe i can convince my parents to let me fly over :innocent:

Chrissy, i just saw this ^_^
:woot: i didnt know you are greek :kiss:

Olya_yaya said:
It would be great to know if anyone here has ever landed an internship at any of the fashion magazines in Toronto; It would be wonderfull if anyone can give me pointers by sending me in the right direction.

Try calling the main offices of the magazines that you want to work for and ask for the phone numbers of "________" (insert name of fashion editor's assistant here...find it on the masthead of the magazine). Cold call that person and very nicely explain who you are and what you're looking for (to help in any way needed). Chances are that you won't get the person you really need to talk to on the phone the first time around but if you sound interesting then the person you DO talk to can send you in the right direction.

Calling is faster than emailing, though for the best chance of setting up an internship it's best to start months in advance with the leg work. Maybe next summer?

Good luck!

wow. im hoping to land an internship in my final year of high school. definitely helped me out. thank you so much!

i have three super fantastic interns at the moment...
and i ADORE them and completely appreciate every single thing that they do...
from calling the messengers to taking out the trash...
every single thing is part of the BIG PICTURE and is what it takes to keep the business running smoothly...

it's not a classroom and a lot of it is really just 'on the job training'...
so expecting that people in a busy busy work environment are going to have time to sit you down and explain everything in detail is not really reasonable...

the best thing is to WATCH and LISTEN to EVERYTHING...
absorb as much as you can and before long you will be surprised by how much you have learned....
and you SHOULD ask questions!!!!!!!

i think it is going to be harder to find interns come FALL...:ermm:

Last edited by a moderator:
Lena said:
Chrissy, i just saw this ^_^
:woot: i didnt know you are greek :kiss:

YEAH!! yay Greeks! I must have forgotten to mention it to you... totally wishing I was in Greece this summer... instead I'm interning at a magazine in Boston.. which I'm working at right this second :P working with you sounds like it would be so much cooler B)

sounds like really great advice softie :heart:
I'm definitely experiencing exactly what you said at my internship...
you just kind of have to dive right in, ask lots of questions, be observant and help out in any way that you can...
I've only been here a week but already I am learning a lot just by listening and doing what seems like mundane tasks

maybe if i'm looking for another internship in the fall i'll hit you up soft.. I'm pretty great :P:wink:

adore and chrissy...i would happily take both of you ladies...

:heart:..

good luck with your internship chrissy...
they are lucky to have you!!...

:flower:

So Amazing said:
I did my interns at McQueen and Giles Deacon both were amazing!

i'm soooo jealous!
i :heart: mcqueen and giles
how do you apply for the internships? was there an online application or do you have to know someone/ be somewhere?

BaroqueRockstar said:
i'm soooo jealous!
i :heart: mcqueen and giles
how do you apply for the internships? was there an online application or do you have to know someone/ be somewhere?

Alexander McQueen, was set up by my college. The chose students who had strong body of work and could identify with the style/ethic of McQueen for interview. It was amazing we worked on all the show pieces for sooo long, late into the early morning. But showing in Paris was the highlight.

Giles was the same. If you are interested I can give you moblie number of someone there. I also worked for Preen, which was cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misslola
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->