All about Resumes / CV's and Cover Letters for Jobs and Internships

Hi everyone- I am currently living in Europe and planning to move to NYC in the summer. I have work experience, but I'm looking for a career switch to buying/merchandising. I am going to enroll part-time at FIT and/or Parsons in merchandising courses to supplement my undergrad degree but definitely need to make some money and get a job.

So here is the question- I am looking for an entry/lower level job and of course would love to have one before I move- should I apply now? Or should I wait until I'm in NYC and have a chance to meet the career center people at the design schools? I'm scared to go to NYC without a job, but I'm wondering if my resume/cover letter, etc. will be a million times more effective once I have an NYC address and some feedback from people in the industry. Opinions on this? Thanks!

Oh boy, I do not know what to say. I have been living in NYC for 6 years now, and gave myself a break after graduation from Parsons, but worked outside the country, so it was not a complete waste. I have graduated from Industrial Design with a very good degree, and always wanted to work in the luxury design industry. That is why I had chosen Industrial Design to begin with, little did I know.

Now looking back at it, studying design, spending all that time and energy and all those sleepless nights was the biggest mistake of my life. I cannot find a job, not even an internship. It is my personal problem, so I will not bore you guys here, but DO NOT COUNT ON THE CAREER SERVICES OF THE SCHOOLS. That is all I can say. The economy is horrible, that they do not have any time or opportunity to help anyone really. There are so many recent graduates etc. who are hungry for the same jobs. I was hopeful that I was going to work as a 'designer': created a very good portfolio, built up a somewhat strong resume (all work experiences are outside the US, but still), went to the best design school in the world, and cannot even get an internship this summer.

I am not trying to bring anyone down: I bet most of you are ten times more qualified to do the jobs you want to do than what I am in my field. And good luck to all. But times are tough, and if you have to work and earn a living, don't leave it to last minute before your move here... would be my suggestion.

I wish I had studied something more substantial, because today almost anything related to design is all about connections and who you know. Even the school or portfolio doesn't count all that much. If you know people in the city WHO CAN HELP YOU TO FIND JOBS, then it is fantastic. If not...

My internship adviser said that it was pivotal to have an "objective" section to a resume but I've also heard that it's outdated and unnecessary -- anyone have any thoughts on that?

Granted I did not have that much success with my own resume, but I think objective is really not necessary. You will most likely apply for positions via email, and you can write that to your subject line like 'regarding an entry level..... etc. etc.)

Plus there are many diff. jobs you will apply to, I feel. It is impossible they will have the exact same job description and/or be in the exact same area. You will have to change your objective constantly, which is silly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there,

I am updating my CV and have taken a gap year after education. During the year i took time to re-evaluate what i want from life and where i was heading whilst supporting myself selling vintage clothes on ebay. I am slightly unsure if i should include this on my CV, i didn't achieve anything major and it's not particularly relevant to the job i am going for but i don't want to leave a gap and let them draw their own (possibly negative) conclusion.

I am slightly worried this gap in employment or education could hinder my chances of a successful career in the future!

Any advice would be very greatly appreciated!

:flower:

I have a gap year in my CV^ but haven't had anyone (or even myself) take a second glance at it.. It's hard to notice anyway, it was between 2003-2004, so when I began listing post-secondary courses it was starting from 2004.. It looked like I didn't have a gap year. I often don't bother writing the months even, so it blurs the dates even more.

I have a lot of stuff on my CV though.. So maybe you could somehow really emphasize the other aspects of your CV. Put your skills and accomplishments in bold titles, and the education history in a plain font

I don't think a gap year is much of a problem if you just explain it that way. Then, you could always say exactly what you told us and it can be spun towards whatever field in fashion you are headed. It would work well by giving it a business slant (a young entrepreneur able to support herself) ... for any fashion biz career like buying, merchandising, marketing and possibly PR. And you could give it a fashion slant by showing your learned expertise in vintage fashion ( and the history of fashion) ... for the creative side of fashion such as design, styling or an editorial career.

Hi,
I just finished my resume but one of the magazines I would like to write for is European and requested that I send a CV. Does this mean that I have to write a new, longer resume (length is the foremost differentiation between the two, right?) or can I just send my standard, 1-page resume along?
If a new one is in order, then does anyone have any input on how to create a CV?
Thank you so much!

Resume and CV are the same thing. You can just send your resume along :smile: Of course for every employer, you need to customise/tailor your resume/CV to what their corporate image is like, what they're looking for, the job, etc. Good luck!

How do you know who does the hiring if you want to apply for a job, besides making a phone call? If you check out their website and they have a few emails listed, who should you email? Can you email the director your CV right away?

Human Resources in a big company, is the department that takes the applications and narrows them down to see if they can find any "Matches'" to jobs that are available in the company.

But making a phone call to get a name and a title of the person who is tha actual hiring manager is a better way. That you can address your cover letter (always do a short, but specific cover letter) and CV directly to that person and you don't get lost in the HR pile of applications. And HR is notorious about eliminating applications over a technicality. Whereas, if you find a manager or someone in charge who needs to hire and he happens to like you, he'll possibly bring you in for an interview, before HR see the application ... or at least, might advise HR that he's interested in interviewing you so they don't throw your app out. It's a better strategy, if you can get to the hiring manager first. Tricky ... but more likely to get results, if you can impress him before being turned down over somthing "missing" from you application.

Human Resources in a big company, is the department that takes the applications and narrows them down to see if they can find any "Matches'" to jobs that are available in the company.

But making a phone call to get a name and a title of the person who is tha actual hiring manager is a better way. That you can address your cover letter (always do a short, but specific cover letter) and CV directly to that person and you don't get lost in the HR pile of applications. And HR is notorious about eliminating applications over a technicality. Whereas, if you find a manager or someone in charge who needs to hire and he happens to like you, he'll possibly bring you in for an interview, before HR see the application ... or at least, might advise HR that he's interested in interviewing you so they don't throw your app out. It's a better strategy, if you can get to the hiring manager first. Tricky ... but more likely to get results, if you can impress him before being turned down over somthing "missing" from you application.

BetteT, but lets say its a small company like a modelling agency where their websites list all the directors, bookers, etc. Who should we make the call to, or if we're overseas and email seems a better option to make contact? Should we email the director of the agency to ask if their hiring or...?

If a phone call is possible, I'd still call the office and just ask anyone who answers. Just say that you 'd like to send your CV and ask to whom should that be directed. Try to get a real name and their title ... and ask how they like to get it ... via email or snail mail.

If you can't make that call, then an email to a director is probably your best bet.

Then ... do a follow up in a week, to ask if they got it, by phone if possible. That shows them that you care enough and have enough gumption to actually do a follow up. If you are looking for work as a booker or to assist a booker .... you'll need to proove that you are good on the phone and don't mind making difficult calls, anyway ... since that is what they do all day long.

Don't know for sure ... direct is best, as always ... no matter what kind of business they are in. Look for a phone number and a street address ... you don't always have to use email .. a resume and cover letter by snail mail is sometimes even better ... will make you stand out. They might be right in your phone directory. But if you can't get to them after extensive research, then I'd try the agent.

Okay cool. Thanks for your advice! you're really helpful!!

I forgot to ask! :flower:
I'm currently trying to work for a photographer, probably in NY, London or Paris. But i'm not living there now. How do i ask to work for a photog. thats why far from where i'm living? How do i ask if they would hire me? I'm willing to move! Do i state that when im asking for the hiring manager's details or do i tell that to the hiring manager before giving my CV? And do photogs. have hiring managers? :unsure:

Cover letters have been so hard for me, I never know what to write to stand out. But my resume is finally on point--I recommend using Quark or InDesign, it really makes a huge difference in presentation.

I agree with LUXXX on using InDesign. I know how people always say to be neat, but i think being neat + creative is a plus. It draws the viewer's attention.

I forgot to ask! :flower:
I'm currently trying to work for a photographer, probably in NY, London or Paris. But i'm not living there now. How do i ask to work for a photog. thats why far from where i'm living? How do i ask if they would hire me? I'm willing to move! Do i state that when im asking for the hiring manager's details or do i tell that to the hiring manager before giving my CV? And do photogs. have hiring managers? :unsure:
You state that you are willing to move in your cover letter and you must also say that you will travel to him at his convenience, so he can interview you and assess your skills.

That is what a cover letter is for ... to explain a few things they need to know about you beyond your experience, acheivements and schooling.

Off totpic: Photographers usually do the hiring themselves, but sometimes you might talk to his studio manager first, then if that person is impressed, the photographer will schedule an interview.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ozilya
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->