All about Starting Your Own Label & Becoming a Fashion Designer... (SEE POST #1 FOR RELATED THREADS)

kaliptika

Reaction score

I just got into the apparel design business with a couple of partners and when approaching local boutique owners to talk to them about our designs, some requested a "line sheet."

What is a line sheet, and what exactly should go on it? Thanks so much.

Dave

Austin, TX

Last edited by a moderator:
a line sheet is basically a brochure...usually with information about your company/line etc and should also feature info on your actual product etc etc...prices, even

Originally posted by kaliptika@Dec 10 2004, 12:20 AM
I just got into the apparel design business with a couple of partners and when approaching local boutique owners to talk to them about our designs, some requested a "line sheet."

What is a line sheet, and what exactly should go on it? Thanks so much.

Dave

Austin, TX
[snapback]459405[/snapback]​

Yeah, what brian said. I do a lot of line sheets for tshirt designs I do. Most stores don't really mind if its in black and white, but if you are willing to go to the extra mile and have color line sheets, it helps sell more. Sizes, details (like close up of logos/designs) and wholesale prices should be there.

Originally posted by mouko@Dec 10 2004, 11:10 PM
Yeah, what brian said. I do a lot of line sheets for tshirt designs I do. Most stores don't really mind if its in black and white, but if you are willing to go to the extra mile and have color line sheets, it helps sell more. Sizes, details (like close up of logos/designs) and wholesale prices should be there.
[snapback]460992[/snapback]​

thanks for the extra input mouko! Mine are actually for t-shirts as well. I was definitely going to do them in color for that extra pizazz...you don't by any chance have a link to one I could check out to get an idea do you?

sorry i don't..but when i do get the time i'll be happy to scan them so you can check em out. they're very basic...basically the front and back (if needed) of the shirt on one half of the page, on the other half I put

name of design
order number
colors available
sizes available
price/wholesale price

my books are usually very small usually 5x5 squares with a ring on the top left corner holding them together. I've seen some people just come with one page of all their designs.

If you could scan it, that would be very helpful. I won't copy it obviously...that's not my style, but it'd be great just to get a visual idea if you know what I mean. Right now, I only have 1 design, so a flipbook isn't really practical, so I was leaning to a one pager like you also mentioned.

thanks again.

New Designer Help .. all about starting a design business.

well i'm new here and i'm a designer on my own.:rolleyes: i will really appreciate it if yall can tell how to jump start my career and give me list of designer to talk to. my styles are very unqie and it is kind of urban mixed with english. it is just incredible^_^ . everyone that saw my designs adviced me to get sponsored. i will really appreciate it if i can get some pointers and help. Thank you.:D

I don't have any pointers, but there are others here that can definitely help you out with some valuable information. Also, please search the boards because I know this question has been asked before. I hope you find some good advice.

could you post some of your designs??
we'd love to give our opinion!!

seems like finding financial backing is the challenge for everyone trying to start a label...

do you already have a label?...do you have samples of your work or just drawings?...usually you need to get some sales orders and have some sort of business plan before anyone will consider investing in your company...

have you attended design school?...they usually have advisors who can guide you in this area...

it would be nice to see some examples of your work... :flower:

Do you design for women or men or both? I like finding unique stuff. I'd love to see some photos of your work especially if you have clothes for men :flower:

Hi Unique,

I don't know if I'll give you the kind of answer you're looking for, but if your designs are as good as you say, I don't know why you need to talk to other designers?

Many designers don't get their careers "jump started", it takes a lot of their own cash, sleepless nights, hard work and luck. Lots of designers start out by designing a small sample collection and showing it to everyone who will listen. Get appointments with store buyers (don't approach the large stores for a few seasons or until you have your look, quality and production sorted - stick to the smaller boutiques with good reputations), send out press releases with photos attached, get a decent website done - start off with one small order at a time and build on that. If you are as good as you say, within a few seasons, you could have a press agent, a sales rep and a small business going and you'll be able to show that you're worthy of sponsorship.

There's no fast-tracking or easy route in fashion! Good luck and hope you get where you want to be! :flower:

uniquestyle said:
well i'm new here and i'm a designer on my own.:rolleyes: i will really appreciate it if yall can tell how to jump start my career and give me list of designer to talk to. my styles are very unqie and it is kind of urban mixed with english. it is just incredible^_^ . everyone that saw my designs adviced me to get sponsored. i will really appreciate it if i can get some pointers and help. Thank you.:D
Can't help, sorry, but I'd like to know what 'English' is?

thank you

first of all what i mean by english is "formals" sorry that i did not expand on that. and i love yall advice. my design are good as i say but i have one problem. i can't scan them online. i will try my best to. but my scanner is missing a USB plug. as soon as i get it fixed i will scan it online for all to see. Right now what i'm looking for is a sponsor that can help me out a lil bit and yes i have my label name. i choose to call my designs "unique" because of the material and style. i'm working with denims fabrics. i promise to try to scan it as soon as i can for yall to see. thank yall for the advice once again.

Unique, Please note there is and american jrs jean company called Younique already. They are slimeballs though. They have a website under that name also.

Sounds like many have given you great advise already, but ill give you a little also.
Once you show your samples to a few small stores, you will have to know how to get your items produced ( fabrics bought, patterns made and graded, packeaged and sent to stores ON TIME). If you have not worked that out financially and logistically you may want to wait before approaching any stores. They worst thing you can do is be unprepared for a positive response from buyers. Its easy to get no response, but if people want to buy, then you have to get it to them or lose face with them.

Good Luck and I look forward to seeing your work. I dabble in denim and tailoring myself. Mostly custom tailoring though.

i know and undertand wat u sayin. i have a friend that can sew very well, but i know that i need more than one person. i need someone that can sponsor me. well hopefully by nexy year i will start my line and oh yea HhhhhhAAAAAAPPPPPPPYYYYYYYY NNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWW YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAARRRRRRR. HAPPY NEW YEAR. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->