Allure August 2018 : Lily James by Sharif Hamza

serendipity8777

Reaction score
Pfv6ja9N_o.jpg

kevinkkelly1 on ebay

It takes a special kind of craft to make such a beautiful girl look so dreadful! Flashes of Hailey Baldwin, and not in a good way!

I imagine they put a lot of effort into always trying to be so alternative. The only thing that saves this cover is the overload of red, because at least it catches the eye.

Wow, Allure just keeps getting worse

It takes a special kind of craft to make such a beautiful girl look so dreadful! Flashes of Hailey Baldwin, and not in a good way!

Seriously so weird. Her skin looks bizarre, way too bronzed.

Totally getting young J Lo vibes.

Grading on a bell curve, seeing as how dismal most covers are these days, this gets a D+. I do like natural brows but so far not so good.

There's a blob like figure on the cover with a face, lost in shapeless, contorted, mash up of eye-catching cranberry colored seams and folds.

What is that peachy fabric (?) to the left of her face. Related to whatever that lump under the 'e'? A Couch maybe.

The fashion styling is there. Delicate, 'edgy' 'personal' jewelry (which goes nicely with the tiny tattoo trend plaguing social media for the past 5 years). Granny bra makes an appearance under the transparent fabric, check.

Greasy, mussed, mustard colored hair. Soft, cloudy make-up. Nicely shaped, non obviously drawn in brows!

Oh that super orignal, sans serif font borrowed from British Marie Claire borrowed from NYLON. But at least allure shows restraint with the number of font styles on their covers unlike MC.

Let me guess, Meghan Markle hair praise ensues.

I'm still perplexed by allure's choice in promoting millennial, hipster chic aesthetic and issues. The iPhone as appendages millennial is actually keeping this print publication alive rather than the long established 30 + juggling career woman?

I think Lily's weird, bronzed skin look is just the odd image editing on the part of the seller. I've noticed all his magazines cover images turn out jaundice skin.

My some what color adjusted cover; less jaundiced but still murky:
xkt0AaMh.jpg

kevinkkelly1 on ebay

Lily is naturally alluring and it is incredible that they’ve managed to suck all the life out of her on this cover... They didn’t even have to do much to make her look good.

Ph: Sharif Hamza
Fashion Stylist: Beth Fenton
Hair: Syd Hayes
Makeup: Georgina Graham
Manicure: Trish Lomax

5IvU5tB9_o.jpg

allure.com

Nothing flash but in Allure's defense, Lily James had never been a one to photograph... amazingly (despite her natural beauty and charm). At the very least, as tigerrouge pointed out, the overload of red elevates the cover here. Not to mention all three of Lily's covers for British Harper's Bazaar were an absolute snoozefest and lifeless as can be.

Looking through this on zinio, it seems to be about 100 pgs, and the theme is "goodness" which covers acts of charity, green products, recycling of materials etc. Lily James looks like she's suffering from the flu. There are two fashion/beauty stories - "Good Genes" with one-page portrait shots of mothers and young daughters (including Jessica Stam and Mini Anden) and "A Matter of Taste" where the premise simply seems to be "odd pairings of colours".

I wouldn't look twice at any of this, from the front page onwards. The photographic content isn't bad per se, but the issue as a whole is a series of terribly dull themes with nothing 'extra' put into them. Nothing special. And there are usually one or two written pieces that make me stop, and then I start reading my way through the entire issue, but I didn't find anything this time to make me pause.

Looking through this on zinio, it seems to be about 100 pgs,

100 pages is correct.

Review:

"the Good Girl"
P: Sharif Hamza
S: Beth Fenton
Lily James

"Good Genes"
P: Ronan McKenzie
S: Coquito Cassiba
Yara Shahidi, Angok Mayen, Rhiannon McConnell, Mini Anden, Jhene Aiko, Jessica Stam, Lea Thompson, Jessica Mau. All with family members

"A Matter of Taste"
P: Camila Falquez
S: Jaime Kay Waxman
M: Hedvig Palm, Adesuwa,

After seeing this cover story, the more I look at images of Lily, the more I wonder whether she'd be better off as a brunette. Maybe even going a shade darker than her natural colour, to add some drama to her appearance.

After seeing this cover story, the more I look at images of Lily, the more I wonder whether she'd be better off as a brunette. Maybe even going a shade darker than her natural colour, to add some drama to her appearance.

I loved her when she had dark hair. Much more sexy.

She also needs to relax with the over pouting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eisabeth
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->