Antonio Lopez - Illustrator

piep

Reaction score
Puerto Rican/American illustrator. There is not so much on the net to find about him, but there are some books out there for everybody interested in his work. I own "Antonio's Girls", which is good, but definately better is "Antonio 60-70-80". His drawings are perfect imo, even if they sometimes are not exactly my taste.:heart:

Attachments

• antonio_donnajordan_1970.jpg
    antonio_donnajordan_1970.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 52
  • antonio_interviwe_1975.jpg
    antonio_interviwe_1975.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 47
  • antonio_janeforth_1960s.jpg
    antonio_janeforth_1960s.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 44
  • antonio_janeforth_1969.jpg
    antonio_janeforth_1969.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 39
  • antonio_mikemorillo_1983.jpg
    antonio_mikemorillo_1983.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited by a moderator:
hurrah piep, i will contribute something tomorrow!

I like the one with two males (?) and fedoras...Not sure what to think about all this yet.

article (and pictures) on an antonio exhibition in 2000:
http://www.artnet.com/Magazine/features/haden-guest/haden-guest3-31-00.asp

antonio lopez and juan ramos:
http://latino.si.edu/virtualgallery/antonio/bios.htm

i've always liked antonio's fernand leger inspired series from the sixties (pictures scanned by me from the book 'antonio 60-70-80' edited by juan ramos)
... he definitely was immensely talented but some of his overloaded eighties' work in all its colour-madness makes me nauseatic ..

Attachments

• antonio.jpg
    antonio.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 39
i also like #3 and #4 in your first post, piep, as they are a bit lighter ...

Estella Mare said:
i've always liked antonio's fernand leger inspired series from the sixties (pictures scanned by me from the book 'antonio 60-70-80' edited by juan ramos)
... he definitely was immensely talented but some of his overloaded eighties' work in all its colour-madness makes me nauseatic ..

lol, i know what you mean, antonio is for me a love/hate thing, or better i am in awe for many of his stuff and then i loathe for example his big series of shoe metamorphosis (there is an example in the article you posted). sometimes he drifts to real kitsch, and i don't get the feeling it is meant in an ironic way.

^i love also that black and white drawing Estella Mare has posted.
it's very different from other fashion illustrations i've seen... maybe it's the facial expressions and muted colour that makes it kind of mysterious

Antonio's work is great. Here's an image of his circle in 1974, Paris (Antonio's girls). Note Jerry Hall hamming it up...

From Antonio's girls.

Attachments

• antonio_group.jpg
    antonio_group.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 67
To drawings from AG - some of his things can be almost messy, but when he gets it right...:heart:

From Antonio's girls.

Attachments

• antonio_tina3.jpg
    antonio_tina3.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 39
  • antonios_girls__american_vogue1sm.jpg
    antonios_girls__american_vogue1sm.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 33
Everyone who loves Antonio should read "the Beautiful Fall" by Drake. It's an amazing tell all about the decadent 70's (actually follows YSL and Karl Lagerfeld from 50's til now) Anyway, the info on Lopez and Juan and their genius fashion flair are documented throughout the entire book.

have a style very lempika for me opinion i like

after googling for more than an hour for photos of his work :huh: I found this entry on livejournal with lot of his work, including early 70s illustrations for Valentino
here's the link

Antonio Lopez with a number of his girls....including Grace Jones and Jessica Lange.

scanned by me

Attachments

• interview_1973_august_uschi_obermeier_pola_jessica_lange_grace_jones__antonio_lopez.jpg
    interview_1973_august_uschi_obermeier_pola_jessica_lange_grace_jones__antonio_lopez.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 46
US Vogue September 1984
The New York Collections | The Difference Is a Coat

Illustrator Antonio
Photo Chuck Baker
Models Ariane Koizumi, Andie MacDowell, Danielle Ghione, Wanakee Pugh
Hair Ray Allington, Edward Tricomi
Makeup Ray Allington, Leventé

vogue archive

Last edited:
US Vogue September 1980
Beauty: The New Color Focus

Photo Denis Piel
Illustrations Antonio
Models Beverly Johnson, Rosie Vela
Hair Harry King
Makeup Way Bandy

vogue archive

Last edited:
When to see the show in NYC ... pretty good, and the display is very good and classy ... There are illustrations, Polaroids and 2 videos ... And there's a big catalogue filled with itw and articles and stuff at the gallery desk that you can consult ...

* note for the gallery girl at the desk, she should stop chewing gums like a cow ... Pretty inappropriate for a gallery that pretends to be classy ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imi
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->