Argentina Street Style

I see the typical "Rosario, Agustina or Flo" ahahaha very argentinian specially the way this girl use the hair.

From all Latin america, Buenos Aires is def. the most chic city of all, where you can find the most diverse styles.

I see the typical "Rosario, Agustina or Flo" ahahaha very argentinian specially the way this girl use the hair.

From all Latin america, Buenos Aires is def. the most chic city of all, where you can find the most diverse styles.

Thats QUITE a statement you put in there, dear. And even though I agree it must be the chicest city, I SO disagree about the most diverse styles. Brazil blows Argentina out of the water, not solely based on its cultural diversity, but in a key factor : the economy.:innocent:

I was born and I actually come and go to Argentina all the time, I work in fashion, NY, Europe and Buenos Aires, and I can ASSURE, that the Argentinian fashion culture is VERY poor, they think they know, when they don't know how to dress, someone said CLOWN dress style, I nod. Sometimes I even laugh.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Ultramarine about Buenos Aires' average style not being diverse, and I don't think it's particularly chic either. What sets it apart from a lot of cities in my opinion is the fact that regardless of the amount of trends someone's wearing, or brands or repetitive looks, most girls, even pre-adolescent ones, seem to have an excellent sense of proportion, which you don't find in places like New York for example, it goes beyond 'fashion', it's about upbringing and a culture of textiles and being in contact with clothes of different eras that is very much alive there, while in places like New York you often find someone in great ensembles that could've been much better if the person had dropped a certain item or loosen it up or whatever, such criticism rarely happened in Buenos Aires for me (except for the strange love for gigantic sneakers and other type of sportswear but that's beside the point). Even when girls would be wearing a sweater that I would never wear myself in a million years, there was a way of carrying that sweater that just looked quite.. cool.. and it was probably due to the sizing in trousers, what they did (or didn't do) with their hair, jewelry, etc..

It's funny because the only people that did look quite risible to me were the 'concheta' girls that would overvalue life or trips abroad and thought that gave them automatic authority to establish what is or isn't good style.. when they, in their treasured Forever 21/Wang outfits, probably looked cheaper than a girl in the so-called 'cloned'/CLOWN local stuff. No offense.:D

None taken, and you have a point on the ‘conchetas’ (i hate that word by the way) I couldn't have explain it better. Although, I don’t see the cool carrying of the outfits, which is a personal way of seeing the whole B.A. style. Anyway, I think your view was quite judgmental and a little personal after my response.
As a person who doesn’t overvalue trips and even less life, I can say that fashion sense in Argentina is really really poor, and I am blessed to have the opportunities I have to be able to discern between a fashion culture and bad copy cat, bad style or whatever. So, I think trips are beside the point here, but the ability to see clear is what really pays part. That’s all.

And I'm very happy for your opportunities, I merely made a point on the original comparison you brought up based on other places and what you do in your private life, which doesn't really validate a subjective understanding of what sense of fashion or style is no matter how many magazines or blogs and other outlets (destined to make money) tell you otherwise for very obvious purposes.

And I'm very happy for your opportunities, I merely made a point on the original comparison you brought up based on other places and what you do in your private life, which doesn't really validate a subjective understanding of what sense of fashion or style is no matter how many magazines or blogs and other outlets (destined to make money) tell you otherwise for very obvious purposes.

I actually don’t follow too many blogs so I’m not sure what fashion should be on their eyes, I just commented regarding my own views and again, experiences.
I can say I agree with you. We have different points of view that’s all. I just gave an opinion as a member, maybe took it a little bit personal.
I hope I didn’t tease you, I genuinely think you have avery smart say on the subject. :flower: xx

Yeah, it's best to agree to disagree in this kind of subject, especially as perceptions are clearly rooted on background. One thing that is positive about all of this is the degree of criticism you have towards your own culture.. I guess it's part of feeling compromised and wanting things to move forward and faster.

Perhaps the Argentinian fashion scene does need more diversity but also stimulation.. finding pride in having an identity for better or for worse and NOT looking like other countries.. I think it's slightly better for a city to have people with a perhaps too distinguished style than for a city to absorb everything from all the others and look too much like all the others too.

Yeah well, my level of criticism actually reflects I’m not compromised with it, I truly couldn’t care less if it moves back or forward. I was just giving an opinion of what I see when I’m there. Anyway, it’s been interesting! Thank you.

Thats QUITE a statement you put in there, dear. And even though I agree it must be the chicest city, I SO disagree about the most diverse styles. Brazil blows Argentina out of the water, not solely based on its cultural diversity, but in a key factor : the economy.:innocent:

I was born and I actually come and go to Argentina all the time, I work in fashion, NY, Europe and Buenos Aires, and I can ASSURE, that the Argentinian fashion culture is VERY poor, they think they know, when they don't know how to dress, someone said CLOWN dress style, I nod. Sometimes I even laugh.

I would not compare in any case Argentina with Europe or NY, since it's obviously that the seconds are much more stylish, since they impose the trends that arrive down here like 1 or 2 years later :lol: Just saying Bs. Aires it's the most chic city in Latinamerica.

I do have to recognize i exaggerated with the "diversity" comment, but i was probably thinking about how argentinians girls dare to use elements that people in their partners countries don't use, like the use of high-heels or playing styles with their hair.

About Brazil, i don't know... to me they all seem to dress the same, and it seems like the average person just wears the garment that works better to weather the heat.

It's probably late for a reply, but i now realize how poorly stated was my previous comment.

That is why I say that Brazil has much better style than any other city in Latinamerica: They dont TRY to copy the style from other cities of the northern hemisphere, they adapt it to THEIR climate and make it work.

And you been to Argentina, darling? Buenos Aires is beautiful beautiful, but what I see here on the streetstyle forums is a very isolated part of what argentinian streetstyle ACTUAL argentinian streetstyle is about.

The only argentinian trend that spread on other latinamerican countries was the one for "floggers" and imho, I dont think it was the best one :P

Well that's true, Argentina grabs European trends, and they don't innovate in anything particular related with their specific culture. And i also agree that Brazil doesn't copy trends from the northern hemisphere, but tbh, even though the Brazilian runways are amazing, the average person streetstyle honestly doesn't differ much from a country during their summer time, you always only see shorts, t-shirts, sneakers, anything special.

TBH i've only been once in Bs. Aires :innocent:, but many times in cities like Mendoza, Bariloche and Cordoba. So maybe my opinion about Bs. Aires is shortened to a few moments in which i see great style.

PD: OMG you just remind of the floggers :lol: that was the most annoying trend i can remember, the worse it's that it was like some sort of an invasion, they were everywhere, and then it was really popular in Chile and Argentina. :D

Awww .. and yes, believe, querido, Im trying to forget about the floggers as hard as I can (and they didnt span all the way over here) :s

When the floggers where gone, some others came and took that horrid place. Now we have wachiturros, which I hardly know what they are.
All I see in argentina' style are clones. You can see it in the windows displays, all the same crap. Every now and then, you get someone free-er with fashion, and they are most likely to be on this thread.
Even if brazilians stick to shorts and skimpy dresses, they do it freely, you can tell there's a love for colour everywhere.

When the floggers where gone, some others came and took that horrid place. Now we have wachiturros, which I hardly know what they are.
All I see in argentina' style are clones. You can see it in the windows displays, all the same crap. Every now and then, you get someone free-er with fashion, and they are most likely to be on this thread.
Even if brazilians stick to shorts and skimpy dresses, they do it freely, you can tell there's a love for colour everywhere.

CLONES. wow, so true.. so sad.:angry:

I been reading this topic and I agree with the last posts.I think here in Argentina it's very difficult to define a "national style" mainly because of the influence of european and nyc style. Nowadays almost all the brands (if not all of them) copy internacional brands(excluding (?) the "diseño de autor"). I think that is the main mistake because all the girls try to be trendy and end up looking like a shopping threw up on them. I see in the streets clones, like you said, girls with veeery long hair with ombré, tshirt, leggins and combat boots/creepers (ughh).
I think this is going to be very difficult to change because the influence of internacional street style that seems what the brands look for instead of looking here and try to find original people to use as an inspiration.

To keep it updated...
PdnsYPo.jpg

obznPWX.jpg

tXHiIN7.jpg

aNGafTv.jpg

MqdQNI2.jpg

b2Oajuv.jpg

3usgcAG.jpg

ALPIe57.jpg

onthecornerstreetstyle blogspot

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics