Beach Hair

That's not entirely true. Just like anything else, a coating of something (oil or otherwise) can temporarily do something for your hair. Otherwise why even bother shampooing? Why use hairspray? The mixture sticks to the shaft of the hair and holds it in place. A drop of oil in a bottle of water will not make your hair greasy.

I have the Bumble and Bumble surf spray but at the moment, I don't think I'm using it correctly. It smells great, but doesn't seem to really hold any beachy-shape (I braid my hair to get beachy waves). It seems to almost be more like a hairspray than anything else.

^Try to read the text. Your hair doesn't eat anything, and therefore the fatty acids won't to anything for your hair at all. Except maybe making it a bit greasy. It's pretty simple.

This is what I dislike about advertising and hair products... You can claim to put in all the essential fatty acids you want (a lot of companies do this), but you have to EAT them to get the benefits. I don't want to have a sip of shampoo - honestly :shock: There's a reason that vitamin supplements doesn't go in your hair or on the skin :lol: It's so stupid (and amusing).

Actually, certain oils DO have the ability to penetrate the hair shaft as opposed to just sitting on top of the strands, like silicones do. Coconut oil is one of these oils (there's only something like 3 that can actually do this). Look it up, you'll find the information.

Braiding hair gives straight hair wavy texture but I prefer twisting hair into small buns and letting it set, because you get more body in the waves. I section my hair into four equal parts, go over one section with a straightening iron (using heat beforehand helps with the styling) then immediately wind it into a bun and secure with pins/grips. Once i've done the other sections i'll use a hairdryer for a minute or so to add additional heat all over my head, waiting about 15 minutes for it to cool. Then I unpin everything and use my fingers to comb through the waves. You can use hair product to achieve more texture but I just go over it with hairspray.

p.s. this might not work for everyone, but if you hold the hairspray really close to your hair in a few places like at a 1 inch distance you can get a wet look effect, like you just got out of the water. don't overdo it or you won't have any movement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your hair doesn't eat anything

I'm sorry but this made me laugh so much..:rofl: so funny ! I don't know anything about what hair can or cannot absorb but i loved this sentence...classic..:heart:

I use Herbal Essences scrunching gel, and that works very well however I have to find a decent hairspray so my hair wont frizz up.

My secret weapon is Garnier Fructis Surf Hair texturizing paste. Seriously, I love this stuff so much, I would die if they ever discontinued it. I have wavy hair that gets really frizzy after it dries. But when I use use this, I get the most perfect waves and it's not hard or sticky (as long as you don't use too much, which is easy to do) What I do is: right after I wash my hair, I just put it up in a towel for a minute...pretty much just to the point where it's not dripping wet. Then I take a small amount of the paste and scrunch it in and then let it air dry. Seriously it works so well and it's dirt cheap...I think it's like $3 at target.

Actually, certain oils DO have the ability to penetrate the hair shaft as opposed to just sitting on top of the strands, like silicones do. Coconut oil is one of these oils (there's only something like 3 that can actually do this). Look it up, you'll find the information.
This is definitely true. Coconut oil, olive oil and avocado oil are actually the only which can penetrate your hair and while sunflower oil won't affect your hair as much, it will certainly make it look and feel smoother and prevent it from drying out and so will most other oils. Jojoba oil is in fact very, very similar to the skin's own sebum and not washing your hair and hence not removing the sebum is actually quite beneficial for your hair, so it makes sense that oils can nourish the hair.

^But it won't nourish the hair as the hair can't digest anything, it will just make it feel softer. You can use whatever oil that emulates the scalp's natural oils. Jojoba oils seems to be good for everything, one might as well buy a gallon of it :lol:

How can I achieve this kinda beachy wavy hair?

normal_DSC_0213_bearbeitet-2.jpg
normal_DSC_0181_bearbeitet-1.jpg

monrosefans

Try washing your hair at night, and then sleeping with it in a braid. Take the braid out in the morning, add some texturizing spray,and that should produce beach waves!

Surely only a perm can create that kind of look? Unless it's her natural hair type... :rolleyes:

Ive been wanting to create a beach spray for quite some time. I used to live near the beach and always had beachy waves with barely effort at all and when i moved i pretty much had zero volumen and the idea of paying for a surf spray wasnt appealing when i used to have beach waves for free everyday. So i did quick search and found this recipe..it works like a charm!

Instructions
Things You'll Need:
Plastic spray bottle
Sea salt
Water
Coconut oil, olive oil or a light conditioner
Essential oil of your choice
Lemon juice (optional)
Step
Buy a plastic spray bottle from your local drugstore and pour water into it until it is mostly filled.
Step
Add a few tsps. of sea salt (make sure it's sea salt and not just table salt). The more salt you add, the more "crunchy," textured, and beach-like your hair will be.
Step
You need to add something moisturizing to combat the drying factor of the salt. You can use a little coconut oil, olive oil or even some light conditioner. Just don't add more than a dash so it doesn't weigh down your hair.
Step
Add a few drops of essential oil for fragrance and additional benefits. For example, rose essential oil is hydrating and smells great. Choose your favorite oil based on scent and healing properties.
Step
Shake all the ingredients really, really well to get the ingredients to mix, or the oil will remain on the surface and the salt on the bottom. Spray all over your hair until very damp.
Step
If your hair has a little natural wave, just scrunch your damp locks with your fingers a little and let air dry. If your hair is more naturally straight, you may need to twist your locks. Twist them into buns and pin on your head with bobby pins. When your hair is almost dry, unwrap your locks and shake them out gently.
Step
If you plan on being out in the sun and want to add some lightening power, squeeze some lemon juice into your mixture. Then store the mixture in the fridge.
Step
Enjoy your wavy, beach hair and tell everyone you just got back from a day by the sea!

^Awesome recipe for making beachy hair! I will have to try it out. Also I was wondering, besides the Bumble and Bumble surf spray, are their any other brands that work just as well (and are a little bit more reasonably priced)?

^Awesome recipe for making beachy hair! I will have to try it out. Also I was wondering, besides the Bumble and Bumble surf spray, are their any other brands that work just as well (and are a little bit more reasonably priced)?

toni&guy do one, as does lee stafford.

I like the one by Toni&Guy. It does what it's supposed to do and it's low priced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->