Best places in NY to buy Mens Suits

asadmu

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows some good spots to pick up some classic slim fitted mens suits in NY. Ill be visting soon and want some really nice suits that are different than the usual Boss and Armani. I want something like what Jude Law wore in Alfie. I think they were Martin Mariagel or something like that.. But in any case some info on some good mens suit stores in NY that i can visit in my short time there will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
asadmu said:
I was wondering if anyone knows some good spots to pick up some classic slim fitted mens suits in NY. Ill be visting soon and want some really nice suits that are different than the usual Boss and Armani. I want something like what Jude Law wore in Alfie. I think they were Martin Mariagel or something like that.. But in any case some info on some good mens suit stores in NY that i can visit in my short time there will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

:lol: lmao. I just watched that superficial cliche-central (well, the first half that I forced myself to watch), and Alfie exressely says in the opening scene that he's putting on a Gucci suit. I don't know who told you that it was a Martin Margiela suit - I don't think the stylist for that flick would know who Margiela is. Anyway, your best bet for a suit is Barneys on Madison/61st. But if you still want a Martin Margiela suit, your best bet is IF boutique on Grand/Greene st. - it has the biggest Margiela selection in the country (but I doubt it's something Alfie would wear).

I dont know if its that far fetched that he would wear a Martin M suit... I actually got it off the movie website (production notes:( here is the excerpt:

For director Charles Shyer, it was important that the film give a nod to the style of the previous film and especially to the “Swinging ’60s.” For costume designer Beatrix Aruna Pasztor (“Good Will Hunting,” “Drugstore Cowboy,” “The Fisher King”) this presented a fascinating challenge.
“The idea was to blend in some design elements of the ’60s, while still being stylish, contemporary and at all times real,” says Pasztor. “Jude Law really knows clothes and he wears them very well. Still, we couldn’t exactly dress him in brand new designer suits because his character doesn’t have a lot of money. To that end, we found a marvelous Belgian designer, Martin Margiela, whose clothes are simple but wonderful and just a touch retro.”
Most memorable among Law’s outfits is the one Alfie wears on New Year’s Eve – a black, handmade tailored suit and a daring pink shirt from the talented English designer Osward Boateng.
“We were looking for something single-breasted, very narrow cut, a suit that reflected the style of the ’60s,” remembers Pasztor. “Then we added that pink shirt, which was sort of a bold statement in itself, and silver cube cufflinks from Yves Saint Laurent. Alfie always has a unique style to his clothing. That is to say, when he dresses down, he doesn’t wear your typical Levis jeans; he may only be able to afford one pair, but they would be designer Rogan jeans.”

Thanks for the advice about IF though, im definitely going to go check that store out.. and i lot of people have told me about Barneys.. is it all designer? since i dont really care what designer it is, as long as it fits well and is good tayloring..

asadmu said:
I dont know if its that far fetched that he would wear a Martin M suit... I actually got it off the movie website (production notes:( here is the excerpt:

For director Charles Shyer, it was important that the film give a nod to the style of the previous film and especially to the “Swinging ’60s.” For costume designer Beatrix Aruna Pasztor (“Good Will Hunting,” “Drugstore Cowboy,” “The Fisher King”) this presented a fascinating challenge.
“The idea was to blend in some design elements of the ’60s, while still being stylish, contemporary and at all times real,” says Pasztor. “Jude Law really knows clothes and he wears them very well. Still, we couldn’t exactly dress him in brand new designer suits because his character doesn’t have a lot of money. To that end, we found a marvelous Belgian designer, Martin Margiela, whose clothes are simple but wonderful and just a touch retro.”
Most memorable among Law’s outfits is the one Alfie wears on New Year’s Eve – a black, handmade tailored suit and a daring pink shirt from the talented English designer Osward Boateng.
“We were looking for something single-breasted, very narrow cut, a suit that reflected the style of the ’60s,” remembers Pasztor. “Then we added that pink shirt, which was sort of a bold statement in itself, and silver cube cufflinks from Yves Saint Laurent. Alfie always has a unique style to his clothing. That is to say, when he dresses down, he doesn’t wear your typical Levis jeans; he may only be able to afford one pair, but they would be designer Rogan jeans.”

Thanks for the advice about IF though, im definitely going to go check that store out.. and i lot of people have told me about Barneys.. is it all designer? since i dont really care what designer it is, as long as it fits well and is good tayloring..

Aaah, gotcha. Well, they fooled me :lol: . I didn't get to that part of the film maybe. Yea, check out IF. Also www.yoox.com always has a wide Margiela selection. Barneys is not all designer, try the 3rd floor first (also a small selection of Margiela there. Good luck! :flower:

F.Y.I. Ozwald Boateng is the new designer for Givenchy menswear, so you might want to try the Givenchy boutique on Madison as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally suggest you go to YSL, as many of my friend who wear suits have made the most impression on me in them (I own one as well). I find their cuts particularly slimming, but with wider lapels and more details like working button tabs in the jacket cuffs. Last I looked they were about $1600 a suit, or just under $2000. I'm not sure why they would say Margiela was cheaper than Gucci (or YSL, which has a similar price point), because a Margiela jacket alone in cotton is already going for over $1000 on aloharag.com. I don't recall seeing Margiela suits locally, or rather, they never made enough of an impression on me to make me try them on.

Paul Smith on 15th Street and 5th Avenue have some great suits cut in the English style, so they definitely stand out from the Armanis and Bosses, especially if you get their different fabrications in the mix (not to mention their great linings). They've done a lot of slim cuts recently, and are currently doing a lot of three button styles again, which puzzles me...

If you want to try locally-lauded brands, you can try having a suit made at Seize Sur Vingt or Duncan Quinn in Nolita, or Thom Brown at Bergdorf and/or Jeffrey, but each one of those labels has a very specific cut. Thom in particular is know for a late 50s early 60s sack suit aesthetic, with almost barrel chested jackets and slim, cropped-above-the-ankle trousers. Duncan Quinn has a 60s Mod feel, but I'm not particularly fond of the cuts. Seize Sur Vingt has a rep for shirts, but I have heard good things about their suits though I can't recall ever seeing nor trying an actual one.

Of course, at Barneys, Jeffrey and Bergdorf you can find the usual array of designers like Dolce, Jil and others, and who knows, maybe some of those will ...uhm... suit you.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stephenandrebecca
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->