Recommendations : Books About Fashion & Designers

Ive read this book has intresting point of view? Any opinions?

Gods and Kings: The Rise and Fall of Alexander McQueen and John Galliano

amazon.com

Alexander McQueen: Blood Beneath the Skin

amazon.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read both of them as I'm a massive Lee McQueen devotee.
"Blood Beneath the Skin" is a very basic story that tells you how Lee McQueen grew up and how he came to be who he was based on very thorough research.
It follows his life almost chronologically, but I felt like some parts of his life had been left out.
I really liked how the author wrote the last part of the book though, where I couldn't help sobbing.

"Gods and Kings" is probably more crude. Alex Fury in fact criticised Dana Thomas for revealing too much about their private lives, but as a reader I have to say that I really enjoyed such raw anecdotes of two of the greatest designers of all time and they really helped me deepen the knowledge I had learnt in "Blood".

I read "Gods and Kings" after "Blood Beneath the Skin" If you are going to read both of them, I'd recommend you do the same as you might find "Blood" a bit disappointing otherwise.

I've read both of them as I'm a massive Lee McQueen devotee.
"Blood Beneath the Skin" is a very basic story that tells you how Lee McQueen grew up and how he came to be who he was based on very thorough research.
It follows his life almost chronologically, but I felt like some parts of his life had been left out.
I really liked how the author wrote the last part of the book though, where I couldn't help sobbing.

"Gods and Kings" is probably more crude. Alex Fury in fact criticised Dana Thomas for revealing too much about their private lives, but as a reader I have to say that I really enjoyed such raw anecdotes of two of the greatest designers of all time and they really helped me deepen the knowledge I had learnt in "Blood".

I read "Gods and Kings" after "Blood Beneath the Skin" If you are going to read both of them, I'd recommend you do the same as you might find "Blood" a bit disappointing otherwise.

Thank you :heart:

I couldn't find an extra thread for it, but have any of you read any new and interesting publications on fashion theory recently? I'm pretty up to date as I 'do' fashion theory more or less professionally, but haven't really caught up last year. (Doesn't necessarily have to be in English.)

Because I thought I'd have time over the past few days, I stacked on some autobiographies to tie me over until end-Jan. Tina Brown, Joan Juliet Buck, Grace Mirabella, and Diana Vreeland. Wanted to throw Kirstie Clements in as well, but that's like biting off more than you can chew. Only completed Tina's book because, well, family happens.

Quite enjoyed listening to Brown's audio recount of her diaries. It's comical, insightful, bittersweet, and fiercely British all at the same time. One can't tell whether she liked or loathed Si Newhouse and Grace Mirabella, whether she truly comprehended the role she took (a woman heading VF), or whether she really despised Trump as much she claims (hard to believe considering the amount of press he got from her), but the rest are all gold if you're a VF fanatic. There's her veiled disdain for Locke's VF (her predecessor), her vision for VF, how she weathered power agents, juicy tidbits behind iconic covers and shots, how she was the one who chanced on the idea to launch the UK edition of VF, her fury at the expansion of VF Italy and the like. It's all very eloquent. Anna gets numerous mentions (there was clearly no beef between these two), Joan Juliet Buck as well, and she made a concerted effort to expose Jackie O and her meangirl ways, while inadvertently outing Annie Leibovitz as temperamental.
Ultimately it's a very clear and colourful recount of the excess and the 80s. That comes via her recollection of the staggering amounts of Aids-related deaths the fashion and publishing industry suffered during her tenure. Nearly every chapter contains at least one or more fallen heroes, all recounted in a very matter-of-fact tone. Yet on the other hand she also glorifies the Reagans to nauseating effect, yet deplore Barbara Bush, which I found very, very odd.

I found the bits about her personal life a bit dull. Getting duped out of $5000 by a short man with a porkpie hat seemed the most exciting thing to happen to her in well over a decade. But the reflection on her legacy sounded earnest. She really just wanted to create a high-class Tatler filled with intellectualism and literature, maybe with more celebs as well. I don't own any of her issues, but I sure would like to get some now. What Graydon Carter brought to the table was more celebrities and some hard-hitting political and corporate reporting.

Is "The Fashion Bible" good? I found it so big. I am at the very beginning in the field and looking for packing up for the journey.

The Beautiful Fall by alicia drake about ysl and lagerfeld in the 70's is worth a read.
Thank you so much Lucy for your recommendation. I am getting it for sure, also trying to get some of the other recommendationa by the rest of the contribitors.
I wanna ask if there's smth reliable I can find for trend forecasting and setting

i liked "my paris dream" by kate betts. This covers the journalists/editor's fairchild publications years. The years covering her tenure at vogue and bazaar are glossed over.

i'd recommend it if you can find a cheap used copy.

i liked "my paris dream" by kate betts. This covers the journalists/editor's fairchild publications years. The years covering her tenure at vogue and bazaar are glossed over.

i'd recommend it if you can find a cheap used copy.

More please, you seem to have great taste in fashion literature!
There's not many memoirs about the Fairchild era. I've probably learned most of what I know from biographies written about Capote's swans. They were all clamoring for his validation.

i purchased but haven't read yet Nicholas Coleridge's the Glossy Years about his stint at conde nast.

Another book that was just released in the states is As Needed for Pain by dan peres. Dan Peres was Editor-in-Chief of Details. I may need to add this to my shopping list.

I'd like more fashion-friendly books with actual literature, but not much gossip. I have books on my favorite designers, but those are mostly pictures.

This one looks interesting. I love Robin Givhan's writing, and this show always fascinated me. (src: amazon)

f9ab56636b32d80f8d8450a69ef6f1e4.jpg

I've seen the documentary about the battle of versaille as well as read Pat Cleveland's Walking with the Muses book that covered the event.

Most of the footage from the actual event is in black and white or low fidelity. Hopefully Robin Givhan's book has decent photos....

I have just finished reading "The Beautiful Fall" It's a great book. A lot of interesting details from the life of YSL and Karl. It perfectly shows the way Lagerfeld worked and how modern his approach to fashion was.

Does anyone here own the "Balenciaga : Winter 18" book by Johnny Dufort? I am considering buying it but I am not sure if its worth it.

Hey, does anybody know anything re: an interior design book w/ an intro written by John Galliano? I recall seeing it years ago, but can't find it for the life of me.

Anybody?

More Is More, Tony Duquette by Hutton Wilkinson

Dior Hats cover is just tragic. Who are they targeting? 80 years old ladies?

amazon.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thtrfh65
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->