Boston shopping

ChrissyM said:
Where is the Filene's basement in Newton? Is it the one in the mall . . . forgetting the name of which one . . . that is in the watertown area? Either way I don't think any of them compare to the Filene's basement in Boston dowtown crossing area . . .

I think you're thinking of the Arsenal Mall, in Watertown--I actually think there might be a Filene's basement over in that area, which isn't the one we were referring to. The one we're talking about is near the Atrium/Chestnut Hill, off Rte. 9 in Newton. I don't know about women's, but there was at least as much stuff at the Newton location from Louis Boston as there was at the Downtown Crossing location, if not more..

I didn't realize Jean Therapy had men's jeans... I'll have to drag my boyfriend there next time I go. He's addicted to Gap! Anyway, people are silly if they stick to only brands they know. It really ought to be about fit and the most flattering fit at that/ Anyway, I recently made the mistake of going to the Watertown Filene's Basement, and they had nothing, as usual. Anyway, has anyone tried that new boutique at the Atelier 505 building?

kLm said:
I think you're thinking of the Arsenal Mall, in Watertown--I actually think there might be a Filene's basement over in that area, which isn't the one we were referring to. The one we're talking about is near the Atrium/Chestnut Hill, off Rte. 9 in Newton. I don't know about women's, but there was at least as much stuff at the Newton location from Louis Boston as there was at the Downtown Crossing location, if not more..

Yes you're right! That was definitely the one I was thinking of . . . I go to school at BC and didn't even realize there was one off rte 9! It seems like I'll have to check it out too once I get back to the US :flower:

Thanks! :heart:

My best finds still come from Filene's Basement, but I also bought a good number of really interesting items (I'm talking a 2K+ Gianfranco Ferre silk beaded dress for $75) at a place called Sym's when they had their downtown store three or four years ago. It's another discounter like Filene's Basement except few people know they carry some good Italian designers. They still exist but in out-of-town locations. I never have the time to go out there any more, but if you're curious check them out - it's hit or miss, just like any of these stores. Here are their MA locations (from syms.com:(

560 Boston Providence Hwy. Norwood MA 02062
(781)769-8200

Monday- Friday 10:00 AM - 9:00 PM
Saturday 10:00 AM - 8:30 PM
Sunday 12:00 PM - 5:30 PM

216 Newbury St. Peabody MA 01960
(978)535-6102

Monday- Friday 10:00 AM - 9:00 PM
Saturday 10:00 AM - 8:30 PM
Sunday 12:00 PM - 5:30 PM

I'd love to hear what you thought of it, if you do go.

CLoset consigner is located at 178 Newbury Street almost across from the other second hand store, second time around. Closet Consigner always has better stuff than second time around. I just went last week, and found a gorg. Bottega Veneta bag in amazing condition for 150! They always have a few Chanel pieces and tons of other great stuff. Let me know if you have any luck there!
And an update, skip Fanny and Delphine's if you can... Without specifics, the owner is really rude behind the scenes and not someone you want to support with your hard earned dollars.

I would probably just suggest Riccardi's and Louis Boston, the prudential mall has some ok stores (Nieman Marcus, Saks, Gucci, Louis Vuitton - handbags and accessories, Hugo Boss,etc.). There is also a Barney's going in the Prudential Mall so that should help get some more variety in, but overall I don't Boston has that many great places to go, your way better off doing the five hour drive to New York.

Unfortunately, the Barneys will not be opening in Copley for another year! Until then, we'll just have to make do with the one in Chestnut Hill, which is pretty small.

Thanks for the location, I always miss things while people watching

There is also the Barney's outlet in Wrentham, I've found some good deals there and its only about an hour away.

My 17 year old neice is coming to visit. She is heading off to college in a few weeks and I promised to take her shopping. She is going to Clemson in South Carolina. Having worn a school uniform for the past 12 years she is really looking forward to choosing her own clothes.

I want to take her to Newbury Street and would like advice on what stores we should definitely hit that won't break poor auntie's bank.

Thanks.

The price conscious shopper would do better shopping in the Downtown Crossing area. Marshalls, DSW, H&M, TJMAxx, Macys, Filenes, Filenes Basement and a host of other shops which offer more bang for your buck. It's a popular area for teens as well...Newbury is kinda expensive.

Tallulah said:
My 17 year old neice is coming to visit. She is heading off to college in a few weeks and I promised to take her shopping. She is going to Clemson in South Carolina. Having worn a school uniform for the past 12 years she is really looking forward to choosing her own clothes.

I want to take her to Newbury Street and would like advice on what stores we should definitely hit that won't break poor auntie's bank.

Thanks.

ThisHollywoodLfe said:
I would probably just suggest Riccardi's and Louis Boston, the prudential mall has some ok stores (Nieman Marcus, Saks, Gucci, Louis Vuitton - handbags and accessories, Hugo Boss,etc.). There is also a Barney's going in the Prudential Mall so that should help get some more variety in, but overall I don't Boston has that many great places to go, your way better off doing the five hour drive to New York.

I don't see the interest of looking for Gucci, Neiman Marcus, Saks, Louis Vuitton when you come shopping to a new city. You can find those stores anywhere and they're always the same. It's like recommending that people eat at chain restaurants wherever they travel. How will you discover local flavour if you only go for what you know?

If you want interesting shopping you will look out for unique stores selling uncommon and unique designers, and Newbury St is full of them.

I recently made a trip to Boston, as I will be living there next year. One thing struck me, it didnt seem like anyone was into fashion... Maybe I was in the wrong part of town or at the wrong time of year or whatever.... but people on TFS from Boston, please direct me to where to find chic in Boston, I am going to need to find people to shop with and yammer about fashion. Any tips, suggestions or whatever, it will be greatly appreciated. :flower:

not familiar myself...........but Louis Boston is pretty well known and stocks some great brands

:flower:

I had the same impression on my regular visits.
However, we have plenty of stylish Bostonians here - Chino1z, kLm, jadovski, etc...

I have been going to Boston every summer for the past 8 years and i have to say that there are many fashionable Bostonions around// All u have to do is hang out on Newbury Street on the weekends and pass by the Copley Place and Prudential Center where Saks and Neiman are. I am sure u will fit in and love it!!

marcj said:
I recently made a trip to Boston, as I will be living there next year. One thing struck me, it didnt seem like anyone was into fashion... Maybe I was in the wrong part of town or at the wrong time of year or whatever.... but people on TFS from Boston, please direct me to where to find chic in Boston, I am going to need to find people to shop with and yammer about fashion. Any tips, suggestions or whatever, it will be greatly appreciated. :flower:

Depends on what chic is to you. For the adventurous sort, Alan Bilzerian, Louis Boston, Riccardi's, and Stel's all carry some interesting labels (all on Newbury). Other than that, there are all the regular brand-name stores on Newbury and in Copley Plaza, along with Neiman's and Saks.

Welcome to Boston!
Sorry I didn't see the post until now. Where do you live? I live in the South End and I go to Newbury street/back bay/copley square very often. Like KLM said, there are lots of nice spots. I think you will like Boston once you are familiar with it:-)
yeah I guess we can even get several people here and shop together ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPepic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->