Boston shopping

Thanks for the tip on the new Louis Boston..I've been curious to see what the new store looks like, esp with menswear, but last time I checked, they've discontinued stocking Dries, so I think I'll pass...and choosing not to list what labels they do carry on their website doesn't really entice me either.

I know the waterfront area down by S. Station has been built up significantly in the past 5 years (it was literally a ghost town when I worked there 6 years ago), but I can't help but wonder if there's enough foot-traffic/business to keep Louis afloat down there.

Hey hey, who's getting ready for Boston Fashion Week? They put up a (fuller) schedule this week.

thanks for the info--going to have to ask my stylist friend which is worth the trip...some sounds pretty lame!

what time hermes boutiqe open on sunday in boston ?
any one saw herbag ? what coloure please?

Local retailers brace for Forever 21 brand, and some even welcome it

By Carolyn Vallejo, Globe Correspondent

The highly anticipated opening of clothing store Forever 21is expected to bring a wave of competition to the shopping district as local retailers gear up for the new arrival.

Construction is under way for the four-story Forever 21 at 343 Newbury St., scheduled to open soon. While some local retail employees projecting Forever 21's success say they are concerned about losing customers, others are confident that business will grow as the rival store draws more customers to the area with its wide selection of trendy, inexpensive clothes and jewelry for men and women in their mid-20s.

According to Forbes, the privately owned company is now worth more than $1 billion, with fiscal year 2009 sales up 37 percent from the previous year. "Forever 21 will be competition for everyone on the block," said American Apparel's Ashley Fenwick, assistant manager to one of the national retail chain’s Newbury Street locations.
American Apparel, across the street from the Forever 21 site, has a similar target audience, yet sells at a higher price point than Forever 21 – a disadvantage Fenwick believes the company can counteract by staying true to its all-American image.
"What differentiates us from [Forever 21] is that we stand for American-made clothing," Fenwick said. "Our customers will appreciate that."
Locally owned jewelry store So Good, adjacent to Forever 21, is "a little bit nervous" about the opening, according to Sandy Lai, who has worked at So Good for five years.
Lai believes, however, that jewelry-seekers will continue to choose So Good over Forever 21.
"They’re cheap and popular, but we have more [jewelry], and our prices are really, really comparative," Lai said.
Forever 21 is ready to meet the competition, according to the company’s Executive Vice President Larry Meyer.
"Newbury Street is a great shopping street," Meyer said. "We believe our offer of a great assortment [of products], strong pricing and a really terrific store will please customers of Newbury Street."
Despite recent concerns among local businesss about the opening, competition is nothing new for the area.
Back Bay Association president Meg Mainzer-Cohen says that Back Bay, especially Newbury Street, is "the popular destination" for retailers in Boston, despite the recession.
"All the retail businesses want to be in the Back Bay," said Mainzer-Cohen, "both national and international."
Mainzer-Cohen sees the businesses on Newbury Street as a cooperative community, however, and says the variety of stores creates "natural competition" that attracts shoppers.
The competition derived from Forever 21's opening is expected to bring even more customer traffic to the area.

Michelle Gattenio, 19, a brand ambassador for the American Eagle clothing company at Boston University, is one shopper who plans to attend the opening with several of her friends, which she predicts to be "a madhouse."
"Forever 21 definitely poses competition [to American Eagle]," said Gattenio, who says she does not buy clothes from the company for which she works. "It’s cheaper, and it's more appealing to the college student than American Eagle clothes because it’s not full of logos and brand names."
American Eagle relocated from Newbury Street to Copley last summer, but is still susceptible to Forever 21's brand power, Gattenio said.
Last June, Forever 21 gained media attention when it opened its biggest store yet in Times Square; the 90,000 square foot shopping center was reported by The Wall Street Journal to expect 100,000 visitors a day.
While Forever 21 expects to both give and face competition, the company, like Mainzer-Cohen, sees this as a positive addition to the area.
"We think that competition is healthy," Meyer said. "It’s important for everyone, including us, to have competition so we give customers the best service and the best satisfaction. That’s the American way."

boston.com

thanks for the article lucy...
i think the store will definitely breathe some additional life and attract a younger crowd to the area (not necessarily always a good thing, but i think it will be good in this case)...
forever 21 definitely scews younger than stores like h&m and zara which seem to be doing well on newbury...
but guess has also been there forever and they seem to be weathering the stormy economy alright... i guess? (no pun intended :P)

the forever21 store on newbury street is now open. its amazing how fast they put all the items in there. i walked by the store one day and it was empty..the next day all the racks were filled! i havent been in there yet.

the store ive done the most shopping at this year was madewell on newbury street. i ended up purchasing quite a few sweaters and coats there this season. with the items on sale it ended up being reasonable.

the french connection at copley mall is going out of business. wonder what will go in there.

I've never been to a Nordstrom Rack before, but I'll add a :clap:regardless.
It's Official: The Boston Nordstrom Rack Will Open in March

Boston can now look forward to something other than St. Patty's Day come March. Off-priced retailer Nordstrom Rack has scheduled Thursday, March 14, as its grand opening in the Back Bay space which once housed Filene's Basement. No word yet on what celebrations will be going down that weekend, but one thing is for certain...our wallets will be pleased!

(src: racked.com)

nordstrom rack on newbury street gets a major thumbs down from me. the items are not that different from macys. the most prestigious designer i saw clotheswise was vince (and only the vince basics - nothing exciting)

i would only check it out for sunglasses and towels. they had some YSL and mcqueen sunglasses....

i went into scoop on newbury street and was pleasantly surprised. they carry giambattista valli, IRO etc.

It's funny how I see Vince practically everywhere now in Boston..seeing as how when I first noticed it, it was all stuff on the sales rack t Saks/mens: :unsure:

Giabatistta at Scoop for the ladies? Geez, and all we get is, well, more Vince.

Uniqlo to Open Six Boston-Area Locations

photolib_uqsohony4l.jpg
IT’S HAPPENING! x 6Credit: Handout Photo

• By Rachel Raczka
  • Boston.com Staff
  • May 7, 2014 8:55 AM

The rumors are true: Uniqlo is COMING!

The budget-friendly, style-conscious Japanese retailer will be setting up shop in the Boston area with six locations planned to roll out through Spring 2015. The retailer will touch down in the Hub with a pop-up location this summer in the former home of Kingfish Hall in the South Market building of Faneuil Hall Marketplace and will roll out their first permanent storefronts at the Natick Mall and The Mall at Chestnut Hill on August 29.
Uniqlo will launch additional locations in Northshore Mall (Sept. 19) and Legacy Place (Oct. 24), with plans to open at 341 Newbury Street and a permanent Quincy Market location in Spring 2015. The retailer’s Quincy Market location will be designed by famed Japanese architect Sou Fujimoto, who also designed Uniqlo’s absolutely enormous Osaka flagship location.And before you argue that a remake of Japanese flagship’s flashy store front might clash with its brick and mortar neighbors, Uniqlo assured us that Fujimoto and his team will work diligently to “maintain, restore and enhance historical facade” of the market.

A Quincy Market pop-up will be open through the end of September and will carry men’s, women’s, and children’s collections. Uniqlo also assured us the location will receive their “I Am Other” collaboration with Pharrell Williams, which launched in April.

Racked Boston originally reported that Uniqlo signed a lease for a space at the Mall at Chestnut Hill in early January, after they very cleverly located a “current lease” floor plan laid out by the Simon Property Group. The floorplan was quickly removed, but speculative locations for New England continued to swirl following the company’s ambitious northeast expansion plan annoucement.

Uniqlo’s USA CEO Larry Meyer offered his own welcome statement to Boston in the press release we received this morning: “We are pleased to introduce the UNIQLO experience to Boston. Proud of their city’s importance in American history, and winning sports traditions, Bostonians have high expectations. We believe our everyday basics of exceptional value and functional apparel will delight them and contribute meaningfully to their lives.”

For those of you unfamiliar with Uniqlo, let me break it down it down for you: It’s as if Club Monaco and the Gap and Old Navy had a baby, gave it a slightly sporty edge and sent it to a posh finishing school for a few years. For price point, it lives within fast fashion territory. Basics — in luxe fabrics like modal, cashmere, linen — come cheap and are cut well. They’ve done extremely chic, coveted collaborations with the likes of Michael Bastian, SUNO, Costello Tagliapietra, and Jil Sander. They’re pioneers of technology-enhanced textiles at wallet-friendly prices (buy HeatTech, it will change your life) and offer complimentary alterations on any pants over $20 purchased in-store. Under $20 (yes, there are pants under $20) and it’s a $5 fee.

Uniqlo currently has more than 1,300 locations worldwide and it’s about to take over your life — and your wardrobe, and your city. Get ready.

(src: boston.com)

So the Dolce & Gabbana store opened on Newbury Street. I guess if you haven't paid your taxes, then you might have extra money to open up new stores in foreign lands.

I hate to be on those posters that has a "My source is incredibly credible" disclaimer, but, my source is incredibly credible here..and from what I gather, their opening day garnered only a couple hundred dollars in accessories, with no actual clothing sold.

My, how the mighty have fallen.

oh, interesting... re: Dolce & Gabbana. I can't say I'm totally surprised.

and re: uniqlo, i have to say i haven't stepped foot in a single one of the new boston stores. but i also probably haven't been to the mall in... forever.

I'm not surprised either re: the Dolce store. I didn't see ANY advertising anywhere here in Boston announcing their arrival. And the façade on their store doesn't look particularly inviting from a passer-by prospective.

If the Uniqlo store was closer, I'd definitely check it out..Lord knows I buy enough stuff from their e-store. But the Chestnut Hill location is just a smidge too far from my comfort zone. I wonder why they didn't choose a closer location. I think they would've made a killing w/ the college-kid, young professional population in/around the Copley/Newbury area. But, from what Lucy92 (I think) told me here, there's not really much there to be excited about at their stores. Fiddlesticks!

Hmmm, I guess I'm not missing much, then. Good to know!

I just keep seeing those huge adverts at South Station and feel like I've been missing out :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imi
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->