Cannes Film Festival

Odette said:
I saw an extract on Berlusconi's parody and it was sharp and good,though I still need to see the rest of the film.The Good German is really really interesting,Clooney and Blanchett in a WWII crime mystery...that's good!Nicole's Fur looks good.

By the way,want.2B.bones you may be interested, is Lynch's film to be premiered here or not?Cause I read different things all the time.
Hey did you see the trailer for Fur?And how was it i really cant wait for that movie!

Can someone tell me what does "volver"mean in english?

What is Paris Je T"aime about?

Emil said:
Can someone tell me what does "volver"mean in english?

Literally, it means "to return," but I don't know if any other meaning can be derived of it.

Emil said:
What is Paris Je T"aime about?

IMDB Plot Summary

It sounds like the format will be similar to that of 21 Grams, Coffee & Cigarettes, Personal Velocity: Three Portraits, and Sin City, in that the separate segments sustain individuality while uniting in some way, in this case, the common theme being Paris.

I'm excited for Alejandro González Iñárritu's Babel, Sofia Coppola's Marie-Antoinette, John Cameron Mitchell's Shortbus, Pedro Almodóvar's Volver, Ken Loach's The Wind That Shakes the Barley, and Paris, Je T'Aime. I think it's nice that Richard Linklater's Fast Food Nation and A Scanner Darkly and Richard Kelly's Southland Tales are being featured at the festival, but it doesn't seem that their films are very Cannes-y.

I'm looking forward to Babel, Volver and A Scanner Darkly. Isn't Thom Yorke doing the soundtrack to A Scanner Darkly? I cant remember but I hope so. I'm not a fan of Sofia Coppola's films but hopefully she does Marie Antoinette justice. From what i've seen it (screencaps and teaser trailer), she is potraying MA as this out-of-control drunken party girl, which I loathe. But nevertheless it'll be interesting to see her adaptation.

Not looking forward to: The Da Vinci Code - When is this fad going to die?

Oh and David Lynch's Inland Empire is NOT going to premiere in Cannes. Supposedly, it is not finish. Ohh...Why, David, Why????

Is Sofia making MA out to be a sympathetic character?
I really hope it's good... it looks so hit or miss.

llmollyll said:
Literally, it means "to return," but I don't know if any other meaning can be derived of it.

IMDB Plot Summary

It sounds like the format will be similar to that of 21 Grams, Coffee & Cigarettes, Personal Velocity: Three Portraits, and Sin City, in that the separate segments sustain individuality while uniting in some way, in this case, the common theme being Paris.

I'm excited for Alejandro González Iñárritu's Babel, Sofia Coppola's Marie-Antoinette, John Cameron Mitchell's Shortbus, Pedro Almodóvar's Volver, Ken Loach's The Wind That Shakes the Barley, and Paris, Je T'Aime. I think it's nice that Richard Linklater's Fast Food Nation and A Scanner Darkly and Richard Kelly's Southland Tales are being featured at the festival, but it doesn't seem that their films are very Cannes-y.

Thanks very much for explaning it!:heart: :flower: :heart:

Volver is awesome, pure Almodovar.
Volver means return but in a way in this case in means like a come back, Almodovar coming back to his roots in Castilla-La Mancha(he was born here,Don Quijote comes from this place too)Penelope coming back to her beloved Spanish cinema, Carmen Maura who is an excellent actress coming back to Pedro since they had a fight a stopped working together which was a shame. Finally and most important, Pedro coming back with to mother, you feel the esence of his mother everywhere in the movie.
I loved it and Penelope was fantastic, she definitely needs to stop doing American-Hollywood rubbish.

Is anybody actually going to be at the festival???

Heard "Dreamgirls" is going to be included at Cannes, but I don't think they're in competition. Didn't read it throughly, though............. The outline and actors are mentioned in the website below, just in case... I'm not really looking forward to this film..... Seems like many are though....

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/99409.html

it sounds like an interesting mix of films this year. i'm definitely looking forward to it. (but i can be glad if i see it on TV. being at cannes.. i wish. :rolleyes: )

I think the problem with Da Vinci's code is the fact everyone thought of the books as a marterpiece,BUT,Dan Brown wrote a best-seller. Those are 2 different things.
Therefore the film is not meant to be a marterpice but a blockbuster. I am not expecting nothing more.

Is anybody actually going to be at the festival???

I did go last year, my sister's boyfriend was covering the event and since we live in Nice, there was no prob.
However, this year I am not willing to stand there for hours no matter what. Last year, we had like this press pass so it was great.

In Competition
"Flandres" (Bruno Dumont)
"Selon Charlie" (Nicole Garcia)
"Quand j'etais Chaunteur" (When I Was a Singer) (Xavier Giannoli)
"Volver" (Pedro Almodovar)
"Red Road" (Andrea Arnold)
"La Raison du Plus Faible" (Lucas Belvaux)
"Indigenes" (Days of Glory) (Rachid Bouchareb)
"Iklimer" (Climates) (Nuri Bilge Ceylan)
"Marie Antoinette" (Sofia Coppola)
"Juventude em Marcha" (Pedro Costa)
"Pan's Labyrinth" (Guillermo Del Toro)
"Babel" (Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu)
"Lights in the Dusk" (Aki Kaurismaki)
"Southland Tales" (Richard Kelly)
"Fast Food Nation" (Richard Linklater)
"The Wind That Shakes the Barley" (Ken Loach)
"Summer Palace" (Lou Ye)
"The Caiman" (Nanni Moretti)
"L'Amico del Famiglia" (Paolo Sorrentino)

My two cents are between Volver(which I think it is very very likely), Marie Antoinette and Babel.

Odette, how did you like being at Cannes last year? i always wanted to see the festival ... do you know a way to come close to it? i`m also wondering how ma will be, i can imagine that its great or that its bad both, when im right it will open in france in may 24th. do you know on which day it will premiere in cannes and when sofia coppola, kirsten dunst will come??? -thx

You're so lucky, Odette. Cannes seems like such an event... This is the first year I've really payed close attention.

Regarding the films in competition, I don't really know what they're all about so I don't want to make any snap judgements. But, I hear that the focus is really on Marie Antoinette (of course, but opposed to here in the US).

Odette, how did you like being at Cannes last year? i always wanted to see the festival ... do you know a way to come close to it? i`m also wondering how ma will be, i can imagine that its great or that its bad both, when im right it will open in france in may 24th. do you know on which day it will premiere in cannes and when sofia coppola, kirsten dunst will come??? -thx

It was great,cause my sister's boyfriend covered the event, he wasn't interviewing any stars or anything like that he just took photos which were later sent to agencies(I don't want to lie you so I must say I can't tell you whether it is for magazines or newspapers, I never took much trouble to ask where he was sending pics,sorry) so we had a press pass,well actually he had 1 press pass but we all use it.
So we were there looking at the stars during conferences in the morning,I saw no evening premiere and that's a shame though, it was great cause you see how busy everyone is, the flashes don't stop for a second and it's all like people shouting for them to move to right or look at the left or smiling for them or posing near the films' poster or getting all the actors together for a family photo of them all.Really exciting.Though since there is like a professional relationship you can't go and ask for an autograph or a photo when the conference is over.Or at least we didn't cause it was quite embarrassing
Now, my sister and his boyfriend broke up so therefore there is no press pay, that silly sister of mine.I tell it can be really great to the stars and premieres and all that but standing there for hours can be a pain in the back so I am not going.
You're lucky caue Marie Antoinette opens the 24th of May. May be you get to see them!!Let's see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Volver sounds so interesting. I dont know about Southland Tales. I've always thought Donnie Darko was overrated so I dont know about this one. and Bai Ling is in it so I think i'll stay away. lol.

When will Babel premiere? I'm excited to see how it's going to be received in Cannes. I've always loved Cate Blanchett as an actor and the fact that it is directed by Inarritu is icing on the cake!

'Darko' Director Receives Mixed Reception at Cannes
78s.jpg
Southland Tales, the first film from writer-director Richard Kelly since his 2002 cult classic Donnie Darko, has received a decidedly mixed reception at the Cannes Film Festival, where it is competing for the prestigious Palme d'Or award. In advance of its premiere Sunday night, the film, which touches on everything from an apocalyptic nuclear bombing in Malibu in 2008 to the nation's obsession with celebrity, received a cold reaction at a press screening. (Daily Variety later called it "a pretentious, overreaching, fatally unfocused fantasy.") At a news conference following the screening, a reporter prefaced a question to Kelly by remarking that he had "never seen so many walkouts" at a press screening at Cannes. The moderator of the conference, however, promptly insisted that, from where he sat, the audience appeared "mesmerized" by the film. Kelly himself said that he realized that it would "push buttons" and that it was meant to be experienced not in the way a viewer ordinarily approaches a film but "like a puzzle." He acknowledged that he felt under "tremendous pressure" during the making of his second film "to live up to whatever expectations people have of me" following the Darko success.

http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/f51/cannes-film-festival-42490-2.html

Nine Things You Didn't Know About Cannes

From the Jean-Luc Godard riot to "E.T.'s" launch, great moments in le cinema.

By Deborah Netburn
May 18, 2006
  1. The first Cannes festival was conceived as a democratic response to the Venice Film Festival, which was seen as increasingly fascist in the '30s, as only German and Italian films were getting prizes. The festival was scheduled for September 1939, but was cancelled after opening night because of the start of World War II.
  2. The Palme d'Or and the best film Oscar have been given to the same film exactly once. Delbert Mann's 1955 film "Marty," about a lonely butcher searching for love, won both awards.
  3. On opening night of the Cannes festival in 1968, a year of civil unrest in Europe, Francois Truffaut, Jean-Luc Godard and others took over the largest screening room stage and held onto the curtains to prevent them from opening. This and other acts of solidarity with French student and worker protests led to the festival's subsequent shutdown.
  4. There hasn't been a hometown win for 18 years. The last time a French filmmaker won the Palme d'Or, formerly known as the International Grand Prize, was when Maurice Pialat's "Sous le soleil de Satan" won in 1987. (Last year's winners, the Dardenne brothers, are Belgian — close, but not close enough.)
  5. The average age of Cannes residents is 64.
  6. In 1991, Danish director Lars von Trier was so upset when his film "Europa" won a mere Jury Prize that upon receiving it he called jury chair Roman Polanski a "midget" and then threw the award to the ground. (He eventually won the Palme d'Or in 2000 for "Dancer in the Dark").
  7. Only one woman has won the Palme d'Or in the history of the festival. That distinction goes to Jane Campion who took the award home in 1993 for her film "The Piano."
  8. Richard Kelly, director of "Donnie Darko" and this year's Palme d'Or contender "Southland Tales" almost didn't make it to the 2006 festival because the U.S. government was holding his passport under review. Apparently there was a mix-up when officials confused the director, whose full name is James Richard Kelly, with a James Kelly currently on the terrorist watch list.
  9. In 1982, "E.T." was test-screened at the Cannes Film Festival as a non-competition entry. It brought the house down, receiving a standing ovation that had eluded most of the official entries. Steven Spielberg described the evening as one of the best nights of his life.
The Envelope.com

audrey01 said:
When will Babel premiere? I'm excited to see how it's going to be received in Cannes. I've always loved Cate Blanchett as an actor and the fact that it is directed by Inarritu is icing on the cake!

Babel was yesterday (or today) and some critics think it is the front runner for the Palme d'or. Too bad about Southland Tales.

Jeffery Wells coverage is pretty good http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->