• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Chanel Exhibit @ The Met (2004)

softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score
from WWD...
Met Confirms Chanel Exhibit

By Eric Wilson

NEW YORK — The Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institute confirmed Thursday that it will stage its major spring exhibition on the history of Chanel, incorporating looks from the late designer and contemporary pieces by Karl Lagerfeld.
The show is planned to open on May 5 in the Met’s special exhibition galleries. The museum had originally planned its Chanel retrospective in 2000, but canceled the show after a dispute with Lagerfeld over the inclusion of contemporary designers. Harold Koda, curator of the Costume Institute, reopened talks with Chanel earlier this year and came to an agreement on the subject matter, as well as ensuring sponsorship from the fashion company.
While the Met did not reveal Chanel’s financial commitment to the show on Thursday, the company had planned to put forward as much as $1 million for it four years ago.
Olivier Saillard, a curator from the Musée de la Mode et du Textile in Paris, will act as a creative consultant on the exhibit. The Costume Institute also lined up its co-chairs for its annual benefit to inaugurate the show on May 2, naming Anna Wintour, editor in chief of Vogue; Lagerfeld, who is artistic director of Chanel, and actress Nicole Kidman, who also hosted in 2003 for the “Goddess” exhibit and who is the new face of Chanel No.5. Caroline of Monaco, the Princess of Hanover, will serve as honorary chair.
“There never has been a show that looks at Chanel in the way we’re thinking of,” said Koda, who had not yet joined the Met at the time of the earlier exhibition planning. “We are going to take a view that fashion people will understand, but maybe not art people.
“When you look at all the Chanel dresses through history, what we’ve been finding was that she was always acknowledging the body — her clothes were uncorseted and her customers were relatively thinner and involved in athletic lifestyles. As a result, the clothes are really contemporary looking, and to understand the importance of what you are looking at, you really need to compare it to Karl and what he does as a contemporary, exaggerated interpretation of Chanel.”
Gabrielle “Coco” Chanel, who died in 1971, was one of the most intriguing designers of the 20th century, often credited with heralding the modern woman’s wardrobe by liberating women from corsets. Koda has in mind a more in-depth exploration of both her work and her biography, telling the story in a style that has become a hallmark at the Costume Institute, beginning with the present and working backward.
“What we’re hoping is that the present makes the past legible,” he said.
Condé Nast, which, like WWD, is owned by Advance Publications, is also a sponsor of the exhibit, planned to run through Aug. 7.

Attachments

• coco.jpg
    coco.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 68
yes...you must...!! ^_^
a requirement for anyone who claims to love fashion i think... :flower:

Originally posted by TheSoCalledPrep@Dec 5 2004, 07:20 PM
:cry: there is no way i can ever get to it..
[snapback]452478[/snapback]​
Don't be sad. You've got til May to plan something...

Originally posted by TheSoCalledPrep@Dec 5 2004, 08:20 PM
:cry: there is no way i can ever get to it..
[snapback]452478[/snapback]​

Well if you're in Pennsylvania then it should only be a short train ride away. Don't give up this early.

have to go! it's such a nice excuse to go to New York.....

from vogue.co.uk...
FASHION'S GOLDEN TICKETS
ANYONE keen to get a ticket to the annual Costume Institute ball next spring better start budgeting. The event, which will this year feature a Chanel exhibit and gala and be held in the Metropolitan Museum hosted by Anna Wintour, Karl Lagerfeld and the current face of Chanel, Nicole Kidman, will cost $5,000-a-head. This year's tickets cost only $3,500, which means a mark-up of a huge 70 per cent. "Only corporations and the most aggressive social climbers will pay this much," griped on disappointed fashionista to PAGESIX.COM. The organisers, however, feel the rise is totally justified. "It's standard to raise prices," said one. "And we haven't done it for three years." (December 20 2004, AM)

:angry: ...i'm never gonna get to go to one of these...:censored:
:cry:

I'm totally there, I didn't know about this exhibit. "Goddess" actually wasn't as wonderful as I was hoping for, am I alone in this?

I think my favorite exhibit thus far was the Schiaparelli exhibit a few years back at the Philadelphia Museum of Art.

I love Coco, Karl i'm not so keen on, btu it sounds very good

i hope whoever has gone to the exhibition could post pictures ^_^ !

gius said:
i hope whoever has gone to the exhibition could post pictures ^_^ !

Sadly, that exhibition came and went a year ago! They do have a catalogue available at the Met bookstore online. :D

The current fashion exhibition at the Met is Anglomania: Tradition and Trangression in British Fashion which focuses on 1976-2006.
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maneaterwife
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->