Christian Dior 1996-2002 : The John Galliano Early Years

8RGXKXl.jpg
SmLgORw.jpg

Ek5VarV.jpg
bW9lKe0.jpg

gNdO4t2.jpg
ODBpiVg.jpg

firstview.com

I'm not sure why firstview has suddenly chosen to repost this collection, but I can't say that I am upset by the decision. :blush:

they all will come back soon probably. they are already available, but not in the lists yet :wink:

^ Wow, thank you for the information! I thought the images were lost forever. :woot: Catwalking's Galliano archive dates back back to '85, but for some reason there's no coverage of his early Dior collections. Fashionanthology has all of his Dior work, but with large watermarks. I'll definitely be keeping my eyes peeled for the return of more links on Firstview now!

Christian Dior by John Galliano (2000-2002)

I'm pretty sure these collections don't have their own thread, and since it has been ten years it would be great to revive Dior's very early 00s.

This period defined what Dior was for the most part of the last decade. I personally think a few collections are very questionable whether they truly maintain the house's spirit, but I absolutely love what he did for the most part.

S/S 00 RTW

S/S 00 HC

F/W 00 RTW

F/W 00 HC

S/S 01 RTW

S/S 01 HC

F/W 01 RTW

F/W 01 HC

S/S 02 RTW

S/S 02 HC

F/W 02 RTW

F/W 02 HC

S/S 03 RTW

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone in the 'Fiercest Runway Moments' thread recently brought up the Christian Dior S/S 2002 collection and I just found it quite interesting how it's viewed so differently today as opposed to 2001, when it received an abundance of negative reviews. Most took issue with the overall attitude of the show, which took place not too long after the September 11th terrorist attacks. I personally liked it but Suzy Menkes did not seem to agree:

Dior's Aggression Misses The New Romantic Beat
By Suzy Menkes
Published: October 10, 2001

PARIS— For all his soaring imagination, richly romantic sensibility and sunny showmanship, John Galliano is stuck in a rut at Dior. His attempt to turn his superb round-the-world-in-40-outfits July couture show into "Street Chic" highlighted the shift in public mood since the events of Sept. 11. And it made his exuberant take on an all-American Elvis Presley pantsuit, following floaty shalwar kameez dresses and turban headgear, seem insensitive, almost offensive.

Yet it needn't have been like that. Tuesday's Dior collection had all the right elements to make a fine show: classy trench coats in textured leather; Galliano's classic wafty chiffon dresses (even if he still insists on scarring them with zippers); sentimental prints as if from a Victorian scrapbook, contrasting with witty patterns of slot machines or South American bottle labels. And enough accessory ideas to keep the Dior tills ringing.

Bernard Arnault, Galliano's big boss, said before the show that he was hoping for something to "raise the morale" in an industry suffering from lack of traveling tourists and the American downturn. The show was clearly meant to be funky and upbeat. But the pugnacious, in-your-face urban attitude seemed out of synch with what has been happening in fashion, while Galliano is still dancing to a hip-hop, baggy-trouser beat. Isn't there enough aggression in the world without models snarling at the audience, clutching their gorgeous bias-cut gowns round their hips and stomping out with what looked like cartridge holders attached to their boots? Just occasionally this ever-so-1990s Mad Max mix was magical, as when a jeans jacket was tossed over a flowery chiffon dress and matching lacquered pants.

But radical chic is not even new for Dior. Since Galliano has so comprehensively slaughtered the house's bourgeois image, why should he be so reluctant to show his soft, romantic heart (and the clothes in all their glory) at a time when the whole word is craving sweetness and light?
nytimes.com

Christian Dior S/S 2002

I'm curious to know your thoughts on this now that more than 10 years has passed since the show..I doubt that any designer would really take so much of a risk today (Galliano included).

Last edited by a moderator:
^It's always interesting to look back on shows because we usually lose so much of the context in retrospect. Now, looking at that show, I have no reason to wring my hands and think, 'Oh, should this have been done so soon after 9/11?'... It can stand on its own. I'm not a fan of the Menkes review because she seems quite biased, like she has a template in mind that Galliano's work simply doesn't match; sort of overtly classic, romantic, and pretty. She seems so taken aback by the 'aggressiveness' of the show as if it really couldn't have been expected. So perhaps it's good that all this time has passed and we can look at it with fresh eyes, without instantly comparing it to the other shows that went on that same week or expecting it to be tamer under the circumstances.

I wonder where I could find the Fall 2000 Couture collection in full (and even better if in HQ)? :blush:

Naomi Campbell during fittings for Dior Haute Couture Fall 1997.
My scans of Paris Match July 1997

Attachments

• Naomi1.jpg
    Naomi1.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Naomi2.jpg
    Naomi2.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 51
^ I'm dead. I can't find the words to describe my feelings towards seeing the collection in full.

PRET-A-PORTER AUTUMN/SUMMER '97 COLLECTION

(CINDY CRAWFORD)

(CLAUDIA SCHIFFER)

(HELENA CHRISTENSEN)
alphapress.photoshelter.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eisabeth
Back