Christian Dior 1996-2002 : The John Galliano Early Years

for spring 2000 Galliano staged a three act collection in wich the saddle bag and the logo print debuted (the logo mania was one of that season biggest trends), that season also marked the beginning of the sexed up ad campaigns and dare i say the current days of Galliano at Dior.

attached are some pictures from the advertising campaign with Gisele and Rhea, taken from bwgreyscale.com.

Attachments

• adv_0017.jpg
    adv_0017.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 53
  • adv_0501.jpg
    adv_0501.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 39
  • adv_0009.jpg
    adv_0009.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 43
  • adv_0008.jpg
    adv_0008.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 40
i had so much fun working on this thread ^_^ and i hope other Galliano fans as Jacque Marcel and Jr1 :wink: will post some pictures too, thanks :flower:

Dior 1998 Ad
dior_ad.gif

Dior Poison Ad

TN_HypnoticPoison1998.jpg

Christian Dior haute couture, autumn/winter 2000-2001
7_10Lg.jpg

Christian Dior haute couture, autumn/winter 2000-2001
7_9Lg.jpg

Christian Dior haute couture, spring/summer 2000
7_8Lg.jpg

Christian Dior haute couture, spring/summer 2000
7_7Lg.jpg

Christian Dior haute couture, autumn/winter 1999-2000
7_6Lg.jpg

Christian Dior haute couture, autumn/winter 1998-1999
7_5Lg.jpg

Christian Dior haute couture, spring/summer 1998
7_4Lg.jpg

Christian Dior haute couture, spring/summer 1998
7_3Lg.jpg

Christian Dior haute couture, spring/summer 1997
7_2Lg.jpg

Not two halves but one whole

Interesting to see John's personal struggle with his own legacy.

He's going to be known for the work he's done under Dior and has made extreme efforts to make sure that you see his own personality, his own references, his own work, which is why collections can seem at odds with the groundwork Dior himself laid. His design lives, breathes and seeks to interact with our modern times. I honestly don't think he would do the collections now that he started out with simply because they aren't of the moment, they don't deal with the terror and chaos that has infused itself with our times. The glamour reference points resurface, of course...but I think John is preparing for the changing of the guard due to come to fashion.

At some point, we're going to lose the Kaiser, O. de la Renta, Valentino, living stalwarts directly influenced by Dior himself, certainly. Jacobs is already tearing up ideas of luxury in NYC and restructuring them in Paris, Raf Simons is poised to become very influential, Hedi is no where near being down for the count and so on and so forth. We cannot forget that they are John's contempories. I think we can count on seeing more contradictions and surprises as Dior continues to grow, as fashion continues to rely on modernity, as the world continues toward where ever the hell its headed.

This i don't like. It looks amateuristic.

j´adore dior said:
Galliano´s colorful version of "sportswear on heels" for Dior rtw fall 98

Last edited by a moderator:
These pics are things i've never seen before from john. What is this? was he despressed or something? This is more of a gaultier-like style... this doesn't look john to me...

j´adore dior said:
his first "from catwalk to real life collection" for Dior rtw summer 99, filled with military influences, art deco motifs and fortuny pleats

wonderfull, you should become a fashion writer, or are you one already?

Personally i think galliano is doing more theatrical and dramatical things to try to lure people in his turbulent, colourfull, decadent world, in which they can forget todays problems such as terrorism. I base my theory on the fact that in the ready to wear show for spring summer 2005, he chose for an edited version of "imagine", including a version that was sung in some arabian language.

birdofparadise said:
Interesting to see John's personal struggle with his own legacy.

He's going to be known for the work he's done under Dior and has made extreme efforts to make sure that you see his own personality, his own references, his own work, which is why collections can seem at odds with the groundwork Dior himself laid. His design lives, breathes and seeks to interact with our modern times. I honestly don't think he would do the collections now that he started out with simply because they aren't of the moment, they don't deal with the terror and chaos that has infused itself with our times. The glamour reference points resurface, of course...but I think John is preparing for the changing of the guard due to come to fashion.

At some point, we're going to lose the Kaiser, O. de la Renta, Valentino, living stalwarts directly influenced by Dior himself, certainly. Jacobs is already tearing up ideas of luxury in NYC and restructuring them in Paris, Raf Simons is poised to become very influential, Hedi is no where near being down for the count and so on and so forth. We cannot forget that they are John's contempories. I think we can count on seeing more contradictions and surprises as Dior continues to grow, as fashion continues to rely on modernity, as the world continues toward where ever the hell its headed.

That black gown with the Masai beaded corset and floral train is one of my favorite things he's ever done, at Dior or anywhere else.

I agree w/ you, it's a masterpiece...that and some of the pieces from the Pocahontas collection that were dyed using berries and things like that, traditional methods...

Spike413 said:
That black gown with the Masai beaded corset and floral train is one of my favorite things he's ever done, at Dior or anywhere else.

Same here spike, i think its my favourite ever galliano piece, so beautiful and intricate, its like a dream, Really enjoying this thread, thanks for all the photos! :flower::heart::woot:

Another Masai Dress from the Spring Summer 1997 Collection :flower: although I dont like this one as much as the one I posted before :blush:

Attachments

• 01.PNG
    01.PNG
    283 KB · Views: 71
Spring Summer 1997 Christian Dior Haute Couture Collection - "Mitzah" dress :flower:

Attachments

• 01.JPG
    01.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 137
Here's an interview done in conjunction with a photoshoot by Nick Knight for SHOWstudio to celebrate John's 5 years at Dior. It's really quite interesting to hear the back story of some of the pieces, like what the inspiration was, how it was created etc....

Like I said, it's definitly interesting for any Galliano fans.

SHOWstudio.com

Some images....

dio_2.jpg
dio_3.jpg

dio_5.jpg
dio_7.jpg

Thanks for that link Spike413 :flower:

The Tramps (Spring Summer 2000) Interview is very intresting

you can always smell the "EAST MEETS WEST" concept in his creations!!

Fabulous pictures, j'adore dior. Absolutely fantastic. All these superb pieces and gown make me realise why I liked John in the first place. I think his work - well, at least for couture - is always extremely magical and astonishingly creative. I still think he is one of the greatest fashion masterminds we have today. And that is looking beyond the 'plastic p*rn mules' and over-logoed and over-monogramed rasta/golf/surf/etcetera stuff.

^ Absolutely, Mr. Dale. It's what's on the runway, especially the couture runway, that makes me admire Galliano. All of the quick-selling crap that funds the house can't erase the fact that what John puts on a couture runway, he's putting a piece of himself out there. He's one of very few fashion designers that I think has a passion, a true love for what he does. Just the way he speaks of each collection, it's like they're his baby, he just absolutely loves what he does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->