Coloring Your Hair at Home - Brand recommendations

Missy44x

Reaction score
Ive had my hair colored and cut for the past 5 years.. I fly from Cali from Nyc to get it done with my stylist.. but right now Im trying to stay away b/c its costing me $$$$.. so anyhow Ive decided to color my own hair.. Ive done it before and I love the outcome...my hair can take anything I dish out lol so anyway Ive used diff kinds of hair color but am wondering if there is a certain brand you would recommend??? Ive used Ultress (sp?) and I liked it.. so what do u guys suggest?

When I used to dye my hair, I'd use Loreal... Preference mostly, but i've tried some of their other products. I've never had a bad result, and it doesn't leave my hair all dry and gross.

I dye my hair with henna. I love it because it is a sheer color, so my natural highlights show and the color looks more realistic, yet the color is quite bold. My natural color is a medium brown with golden highlights, but my hair is currently a vivid auburn, thanks to the henna.

It's very long lasting (you can treat it as a semi-permanent color) and is non damaging, as henna works by coating your hair, rather than soaking into the hair shafts. If it makes sense, consider regular hair dyes as working like a stain, while henna works like a tinted varnish. (Sorry, DIY geek showing through).

Anyway, I get my henna from LUSH cosmetics. I use the "Caca Rouge," (yes, red crap) which is a great bargain. A $12 block of henna lasts me about half a year, and my hair grows fast. I re-dye about every month-and-a-half, and my hair is shoulder length. They offer red, brown, black, and "maroon," which is apparently a combination of the red and brown hennas. I just use the red, and have been very satisfied with the effect.

However, and this can be a big "however" for many people, once you henna your hair, the hair shafts are sealed, and other dyes will not take, or will not come out true to color, your hair probably won'd bleach out for highlights, and it may not curl (or straighten) the way you want it to if you try to perm it. Even after the color fades from a henna job, the sealant properties may still be present. On the positive side, henna does seem to cut down on split ends. It is very conditioning--I usually have my best hair days shortly after I re-touch my color.

Originally posted by As You Like It@Feb 17th, 2004 - 6:17 pm
non damaging, as henna works by coating your hair, rather than soaking into the hair shafts
Do you find, then, that it rubs off on your towels or runs if you get rained on? Once I used a color-enhancing (read: color-depositing) shampoo and it messed up my towels big time. Also, I have vivid memories from middle school of standing at the bus stop in the pouring rain and seeing some kid's Manic Panic pink dye run out of his hair and onto the street. :P

Originally posted by HBoogie@Feb 17th, 2004 - 6:39 pm
Also, I have vivid memories from middle school of standing at the bus stop in the pouring rain and seeing some kid's Manic Panic pink dye run out of his hair and onto the street. :P
omg.. manic panic.. i remember when that was a huge craze.

Originally posted by HBoogie@Feb 17th, 2004 - 6:39 pm
Do you find, then, that it rubs off on your towels or runs if you get rained on? Once I used a color-enhancing (read: color-depositing) shampoo and it messed up my towels big time.
Nope. Once it's on, it is on. It stays for ages. Semi-permanent-like. My hair is still quite red two months after I dye it, I just have truly shocking roots by that point. My hair grows fast, and actually it starts looking pretty tacky after about a month, but I usually push it out to a month and a half to two months because I am a lazy bum and I own a lot of hats. :lol:

I admit to being too scared to colour my own hair! :blush: It's off to the colourist for me!!!

i really must say i prefer having it done by a colorist i like. when it is done, it's done. if i color myself, or attempt a bang trim on my own, i become obsessive and notice every tiny imperfection with the results and feel the need to modify. when i've paid someone to do it, i know there are still "imperfections" but i don't care to notice them because i just accept it. I guess i am lucky, though, because i've never had anything traumatic happen with my hair at the salon.....so i've never had a major complaint.

nornor

I used to pay $200+ a pop to get my hair done, but my stylist retired (to become a teacher??!!? what?!?!??)and I was hair-homeless. I finally went to this itty bitty place a girl I work with recommended... and getting my hair done only costs $70.00. Right now it's shoulder length with varying shades of browns, reds, and blondes. It sounds jumbly, but it's actually quite conservative looking. How this happens for this price, I don't know! And to perfectly honest, I don't really care, either! If you want to go darker, you're probably okay to do it yourself with hair kits... or if you have any friends who are handy with things like that, I'd recommend getting one of them to help you out too. I would recommend against going lighter on your own, or doing any sort of dramatic change.

But then again, I'm a scaredy-cat. meow.

Thanks guys :flower:

I actually used henna a long time ago.. the red.. it works great..but I dont want red... I want a light brownish color.

Be careful when u use henna though.. last time I did it..I used the black...a year later when I went to get highlights...my highlights turned green LOL a light nasty green LOL well anyways I had to wait til that hair grew out.. even though my stylist worked wonders..in the sun u could see a lil tint of green here and there lol

So guys... Im gonna go with either clairol ultress or loreal preference...I will show you the results when I finish... cross ur fingers lol

Originally posted by enrichi@Feb 17th, 2004 - 11:39 pm
I used to pay $200+ a pop to get my hair done, but my stylist retired (to become a teacher??!!? what?!?!??)and I was hair-homeless. I finally went to this itty bitty place a girl I work with recommended... and getting my hair done only costs $70.00. Right now it's shoulder length with varying shades of browns, reds, and blondes. It sounds jumbly, but it's actually quite conservative looking. How this happens for this price, I don't know! And to perfectly honest, I don't really care, either! If you want to go darker, you're probably okay to do it yourself with hair kits... or if you have any friends who are handy with things like that, I'd recommend getting one of them to help you out too. I would recommend against going lighter on your own, or doing any sort of dramatic change.

But then again, I'm a scaredy-cat. meow.
200$!?!?!?!?!?!
70$!?!?!

wow..i need to get outta this small town. For a girl to get her hair died and cut it costs like...40 bucks!

And for me ( guy here ) to get my hair cut/ trimmed i pay 10-14!!

someone get me outta here QUICK

I would pay 145 every 2-3 months... for 5 years.. lol but I was making the big bucks and didnt have to pay rent or anything..now that I am out on my own.. I decided to color my own hair LOL

i need recs for good hair dye.
i have dark hair & wanna dye panels lighter to a coppery color.

which brands dya recommend?

:flower:

I'm blonde and I do my hair at home in a Clairol shade It think is too light for me .... lol Sometimes looks like it washes me out. I wish I had money to get it professionally done. My hair always comes out in lovely soft "wheat" colour ...

i've just dyed my hair today a lovely aurbun colour which is described on the pack as warmed terrocota (sp?)^_^

i love it because it boots botanics brand and leaves my hair super soft and lovely:heart:

i usually use the semi-perminant one but have gone for the perminant this time:ninja:

both types actually only cost £3.99 so i think its a super bargin:wink:

I use L'oreal's Color Pulse. I can't go permanent, I just can't do it... so I do the temporary. It's about $6, so not too bad for a non-committment hair color. :innocent:

tealady said:
I admit to being too scared to colour my own hair! :blush: It's off to the colourist for me!!!

Same! What if it all went wrong?!

I don't trust myself - I know I'd manage to muck it up somehow :lol:

Luna said:
When I used to dye my hair, I'd use Loreal... Preference mostly, but i've tried some of their other products. I've never had a bad result, and it doesn't leave my hair all dry and gross.

i love this product, I highly recommend it. Last time I went to get my hair chopped off, the lady didnt even know I dyed my hair at home. Either I am really good, or she is really dumb!

Erin, I too am loving the color pulse! I love the mousse action and it's so easy! The only thing is that I used it about a month and half ago and I still am seeing red tones in my light brown hair- but I think it looks cool, so I'm okay with it! I used to get my hair colored every couple months and it would run me about 250-300 w/tip but about a year ago, I decided to go back to my nat. color (which I'm now bored of and will soon be making an appointment!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drue Price
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"