Coloring Your Hair at Home - Brand recommendations

oh s*it i dyed my hair with some garnier product and got allergic reaction.
it was scary and i will stop dying my hair.
i rather have my own hair color than get something serious or die.
also my hair need break and i hope it gets better shape after stop dying.

^ That is scary! Glad to hear you're okay.

I've actually never done the allergy patch test because I've always assumed I'll be okay (and I'm lazy). But that's a good reminder to do so if I ever decide to switch brands.

Since reading about someone who died from a hair dye they've used before, I do the test every time. Do the allergy test, even if you used the hair dye before.

I never met anyone allergic to hair dye and it seemed almost stupid to do the test they recommend on the box. But as I've grown older I've been having allergic reactions to a lot of things and I know how it feels to be so helpless when you least expect it. Better do the test, always.

i always tough that those test are just silly thing but after that reaction i have changed my mind. my scalp was full of painful rash. now it is little bit better but still, scary as h*ll...

one thing: you have to do that test 24 hours before hair dying but can you still use that bottle of color? or do you have to buy two boxes? that have always confused me.

You just squeeze out a little bit of what you need to test from the bottle, then you just use the rest of the mix when you're going to color the hair. The only reason I get 2 bottles is because I have a lot of hair and usually I take forever in getting around to coloring it again.

Hi guys,

Does anybody have tips for me? I've really dark brown hair and I would like to go 1-2 shades lighter. It would probably be better to go to a hairdresser, but it's so expensive here. I was wondering if there is any good color dye that I could buy.

I used L'Oreal's Wild Ombre and I'm really satisfied... Though it did damage my hair (but that's to be expected), nothing a good hair mask can't fix. ^_^

three+l'Oreal+-ombre-kits.jpg

beautyandlechic.com

I used L'Oreal's Wild Ombre and I'm really satisfied... Though it did damage my hair (but that's to be expected), nothing a good hair mask can't fix. ^_^

three+l'Oreal+-ombre-kits.jpg

beautyandlechic.com

I'm debating about trying this as I don't really know much about hair lol. I feel like it's going to leave my hair orange :/ (which has happened before when I went complete blonde in the past). What was your experience with it? What color is your original hair?

i always tough that those test are just silly thing but after that reaction i have changed my mind. my scalp was full of painful rash. now it is little bit better but still, scary as h*ll...

one thing: you have to do that test 24 hours before hair dying but can you still use that bottle of color? or do you have to buy two boxes? that have always confused me.

Just wanted to add my two cents that while I've always also avoided the patch test, if you leave the entire bottle of mixed product out for a whole day there's a very real possibility it will combust

Hi melissa :flower:

First off I would suggest trying a semi-permanent. Unless you're covering greys there is no reason to use a permanent dye. Secondly do not select an ash shade. It may not turn your hair green but you may not get the dark brown colour you're looking for. Thirdly, I would suggest trying a medium brown shade. It will come out a lot darker than you expect. Dark brown shades tends to go black (this is from personal experience). Do not use a warm or 'golden' shade if you want to tone down the brassiness in your hair.

I have naturally dark brown hair and have been colouring it various shades of medium brown over the last few years. I'm now colouring my hair at home and have been for the past year and I've used all 3 tones and neutral always comes out looking the most natural. I now kick myself when I buy ash toned hair dye to tone down any residual brassiness because it always ends up looking worse than before.

My suggestion to you would be to check out the semi permanent dyes from either the clairol or l'oreal ranges and choose the neutral medium brown. I've had the best experiences with both of those brands although I use john freida now but its a permanent dye. Garnier is also suppose to have good semi dyes. And just a tip never trust the hair swatches on the box nor the ones they sometimes have on the shelves.

Hope this helps x

I find this post extremely helpful. I chose a dye to do myself this weekend based on this advice. I went through a phase of dyeing my hair and frying my hair as a teenager at home. I chose a Garnier brown shade that was labelled golden but had less red in it than the "chocolate chestnut" shade I was comparing it against. (I've forgotten the exact name, they looked about the same in terms of intensity---or darkness.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eisabeth
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->