Controversial SONY PSP ad:

I don't even know what to say on these issues anymore. Why do we always have to see the color of people? Why can't they just be two people, instead of one black person and one white person? Racism will always be part of our society if we don't stop judging a person by his color, but just as a simple...person. They both have 2 eyes, 1 nose, 1 mouth, 2 arms etc etc...From what I can see they are the same. This ad clearly wasn't meant to be racist, because Sony simply wouldn't make such a huge marketing mistake, it's just to show the contrast of the two colors of the psp. The screen is also black as if to fade the old version out, and make way for the new one. I just hope i'm getting my point through, it's quite late here, i'm a bit tired^_^ . The only thing I want to say is that by immediatly defining for example such an advert as racist, we are acknowlodging the fact that one of the two persons is a minority, whereas if we would just see it as an advert for two different colored PSPs, we would be putting these two people on an equal footing, because we wouldnt even be considering the difference between them. I'm sure if the PSP would be yellow with blue dots, they would have a yellow and blue-doted person...

:flower:

^ Which advertisement are we talking about?

If it's the same one that was posted in the Provocative/Offensive ads thread (http://img502.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sonywhiteiscomingadlarge5xh.jpg) then I have to respectfully disagree with you JEM :flower: This particular one I find at BEST, insensitive. The body language involved - the way the white person has the black person's face in her hand and the way her other hand is partially raised just has a really negative vibe to it and to me displays a great deal of carelessness on Sony's part (that's assuming they're not being flat out racist).

Now if it's another advertisement for Sony PSP (and it sounds like it may be) then I cannot comment on that. But the one image I've seen of this campaign so far...it's not looking good *shakes head*

ETA: I'd also like to mention that even if it's a different advertisement we're talking about, in defense of those (including myself) who see it as a racial issue - I think it's a bit hard not to when the advertisement is about different colored PSPs. When I look at an ad with black and white people in it (let's say a fashion ad) I generally don't see the races of the models at all. They're all just people to me regardless of their skin tone. But in this case, it seems that the whole point of the campaign is to notice the two different colors of the PSP, so one's attention is drawn to the color of the models in the ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont think the graphic designer that made it was trying to be racist, i guess he/she was trying to interpret the white/black aspect of the product. Too bad it comes out completely racist! They should have made the black girl wear the white and change positions just to neutralize it.

but now that I look at it again, it is mos defn racist, u can tell from their facial and body expressions the white girl looks like the master and the black one looks like the slave!

Well, although I think the ad is somewhat humoristic, I have to agree about the racist undertones. It's just not enough water under the bridge to see it as completely ridiculous. However, it would be interesting to know if there is an ad with the reverse? Black is coming, or something....? To balance it out, of course. Not sure it would be all ok because of that, but it sure would be better B)

I think that ad obviously has some racial undertones. The white woman has a look of loathing and disgust on her face, like she is holding an unpleasant bug. The black woman has a distinct look of fear in her eyes. The white woman's body language is very domineering and powerful, while the black woman seems to be cowering in fear. In addition, it is lit so the white woman is very prominent and visable, while the black woman seems to melt into the background.

To say that "we should look at them as two people" is a ridiculous notion in a country that has a history like the US. It wasn't too long ago when black amaerican's were second class citizens, and slaves. And isn't it quite obvious that they are trying to get people to notice the different colours? Don't tell me they would've cast a black model, in the white womans position, dressed in white, and a white model in the black woman's position, dressed in black.

The ad is very powerfull, however I think they could have done it with much more class.

Don't think its racist propoganda (doubt Sony is that dumb) but it is stupid and insensitive to say the least...

amphrosyne said:
Don't think its racist propoganda (doubt Sony is that dumb) but it is stupid and insensitive to say the least...

I dont think it is either, just a very very bad choice.

iluvjeisa said:
However, it would be interesting to know if there is an ad with the reverse? Black is coming, or something....? To balance it out, of course. Not sure it would be all ok because of that, but it sure would be better B)
It wouldnt be possible because black is the original colour, the white is new.

As for racial undetones, I can very well see it, and Sony probaly took a large chance with this knowing that its possible that people would look at it this way, althought im quite sure Sony of all brands isnt intending on this purpose.

I can see why the White woman is in a more commanding position, because shes the new more powerful item, the white PSP that is only available now. Theyre trying to show that the white PSP is superior to the older, black model because its the new thing, and they want to show people that they should get a new white PSP even if they have the old black one. I dont think theyre trying to say that white people are greater than black, althought it certainly looks that way... :unsure:

breathe.couture said:
Don't tell me they would've cast a black model, in the white womans position, dressed in white, and a white model in the black woman's position, dressed in black.

Well, I dont think it'll work at all that way, I mean if you make that so it'll be addressing racism even more. In this case it's just two people, one representing the new white psp and the other the old black psp. Simple as that. Sony won't be that dumb.

yourbestfriend said:
It wouldnt be possible because black is the original colour, the white is new.

As for racial undetones, I can very well see it, and Sony probaly took a large chance with this knowing that its possible that people would look at it this way, althought im quite sure Sony of all brands isnt intending on this purpose.

I can see why the White woman is in a more commanding position, because shes the new more powerful item, the white PSP that is only available now. Theyre trying to show that the white PSP is superior to the older, black model because its the new thing, and they want to show people that they should get a new white PSP even if they have the old black one. I dont think theyre trying to say that white people are greater than black, althought it certainly looks that way... :unsure:

Well, I didn't know that they only produce the white one. It seems kind of odd - there are usually color options, and again, I think it would have been good to produce both a black and a white one and have two different ads on the same "dominatrix" theme. It can't be terribly expensive for them to provide both colors, it's been done before. Anyway, this seems rather stupid, but I assume they went for the "all publicity is good publicity" argument.

^ They can't really make another ad like this for the black one as the PSP initally only came in black. Now they're adding a white version hence the ad. I heard its marketed for Europe? I doubt a random European would notice the "racial undertones" to be honest. A lot of peopple have been wanting a white version (maybe because of the iPod stuff) so I can understand why they would make such an ad. If it were to be put up in America though it'd be a different story.

JEM said:
. The only thing I want to say is that by immediatly defining for example such an advert as racist, we are acknowlodging the fact that one of the two persons is a minority, whereas if we would just see it as an advert for two different colored PSPs, we would be putting these two people on an equal footing, because we wouldnt even be considering the difference between them. I'm sure if the PSP would be yellow with blue dots, they would have a yellow and blue-doted person...

:flower:

But it is important to acknowledge that one person is a minority. It would be hugely insulting if someone said I had the same exact equal advantages of a white woman. I don't, and that's something that everyone should acknowledge, whether we like to or not. That's reality, and it's very important to confront reality on a day to day basis, or else we will never evolve.

Black and white people are NOT on equal footing. This is why the ad is considered offensive, and this is very something important to acknowledge. Only if we pretend that racism doesn't exist, then sure, the ad is fine.

They should have never used people and their skintones to represent the playstations.... It's just objectifying and badly done.

I agree that black and white people are not on a equal footing. I agree that black people still suffer tremendously, and don't always have the same advantages as white people. And like oolie said, it is very important to realise this. But I find it is also important to realise that something should actually be done, instead of keeping the same mind frame. And a first step in the right direction woud be for people to see, just see in the beginning, these "races" on an equal footing. That is what I meant by that comment.

I know of course that sadly this is far from being the truth, but it won't change drastically, it has to change slowly. But if our views of people change, so will our behaviour, over time. If the ad had been with two white people, dressed in white and black, or two black people, noone would be having this discussion. So why can't we just see it like that, or try to at least. Segregation is obviously much less stronger than it was, but it is still very present, and both sides have to make an effort to change that.

This add is a bit risky and its borderline of acceptable ... hum ... not sure about what to say!

This is turning into a racism discussion thread but anyway here are my last words regarding this topic. If you guys continue and view it as discrimination, arn't you guys being racist as well for acknowledging that one character is a minority group and not giving it a chance to be viewed simply as two equal people representing the playstations?

No.

Everything has a context. You don't deny the reality of the context. It would be highly insulting to pretend that the differences, the history, the societal problems do not exist.

I want my race to be acknowledged. I want it to be acknowledged that where I live, my race is the minority. That is important.

(It's the same thing with men and women. To make the world more accepting of women as equal, should we assume men and women are treated equally? No, that wouldn't make any sense. We would first acknowledge that men and women are treated differently.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->