Dark Hair

I'm a brunette (medium brown) and I have never dyed my hair, I have always preferred darker hair. I remember these dolls that were popular when I was a kid, Lady Lovelylocks they were called, and they were all princesses with long blond hair and beautiful yellow and pink dresses. And then there was one who was a witch, with jet black hair and a dark purple dress that was supposed to look kind of ragged. That was the one I begged my mother to have! :lol: My favourite Barbie dolls were also the ones with dark hair.

I don't think everyone can pull off dark hair though. Like that picture of Nicki Hilton, she's trying to be all sultry with the dark hair, makeup and tan, but it's just not working IMO. Christina Aguilera is another example. Of course it might just be that they picked the wrong colors for them, and the ultra-tans are not helping either :ninja:

Basically, I think obvious fake dark hair is just as bad as fake blonde hair! :sick:

I also have very dark brown hair. Highlights never looked right on me and dying it just isn't an option since it's already curly and tends to be dry. So I am finally embracing my natural colour and letting my hair be whatever it wants to be :D

Originally posted by softgrey@Apr 21st, 2004 - 12:52 am
couture_whore-personally, i think asian girls should stick with their natural hair colour..being of southern italian descent...my hair is about as dark if not darker than most asian hair and i don't think it's very flattering to go lighter...it just turns ugly orange... :doh: i know all the girls in japan do it, but i really don';t like it...plus asian hair is soo beautiful...i know plenty of girls who would love to have naturally dark hair, but dyes usually look flat when they are that dark...you should consider yourself luck to have such rich, dark colour...that's what i think.... :innocent:
I heartily agree to this statement. Asian hair is gorgeous. It's so smooth and delicate; rich and silky...and it captures light so welll. It makes me want to cry hearing about asian girls stripping their natural hair color of it's authenticity and stooping down to the bottled blonde.

natural dark hair is superior to blond hair in 90% of the cases

Natural blondes are beautiful too in their own way. Fake blondes are just not the same.

speakin of which, anyone have any pictures of nice shades that are not too dark, because my hair is kinda dark blonde-ish. .

I'd go for a caramel shade similar to what James King used to have. I love this cololur on her.

Attachments

• james_king.jpe
    james_king.jpe
    62.1 KB · Views: 26
Originally posted by pineapple+Apr 21st, 2004 - 6:29 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pineapple @ Apr 21st, 2004 - 6:29 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-softgrey@Apr 21st, 2004 - 12:52 am
couture_whore-personally, i think asian girls should stick with their natural hair colour..being of southern italian descent...my hair is about as dark if not darker than most asian hair and i don't think it's very flattering to go lighter...it just turns ugly orange... :doh: i know all the girls in japan do it, but i really don';t like it...plus asian hair is soo beautiful...i know plenty of girls who would love to have naturally dark hair, but dyes usually look flat when they are that dark...you should consider yourself luck to have such rich, dark colour...that's what i think.... :innocent:
I heartily agree to this statement. Asian hair is gorgeous. It's so smooth and delicate; rich and silky...and it captures light so welll. It makes me want to cry hearing about asian girls stripping their natural hair color of it's authenticity and stooping down to the bottled blonde. [/b][/quote]
I'm asian and I think black hair looks very boring on asian girls, unless you're tall and gorgeous like Kelly Hu or that Japanese lady from the Last Samurai. In my opinion, Asian facial features don't stand out very much and we need color to brighten up our face. The right brown/blonde/red shade can make a person look so much better, even without makeup. On the other hand, Caucasian women/men look absolutely gorgeous with very dark hair, especially if they have blue/green eyes.

Originally posted by baggi@Apr 23rd, 2004 - 5:46 pm
On the other hand, Caucasian women/men look absolutely gorgeous with very dark hair, especially if they have blue/green eyes.
Thats good to hear, since I have almost black hair and green/blue eyes :P

I have raven black hair and I have always wanted the "Carolyn Bessette-Kennedy" color of blonde, but it would be super high maintenence (salon every two weeks). I tried it once and I didn't look half bad. To go blonde, especially a light blonde, you really need to have the right color complexion. It's very difficult to pull off what shade would be best unless you go to a salon and get an objective opinion from a good colorist. I can tell you one thing, I always get more attention with the dark hair. And in addition to that, if it's long and dark, the men go nuts. I always condition it faithfully and let it air dry often to keep it healthy. I also take a wonderful hair, skin and nail supplement, which makes my hair grow super fast, as well as my nails and it's really good for your skin, too. Dark hair is exotic and mysterious, and from my experience, a bit intimidating for most people to approach. I am also in law, so the smarter and classier you can look, the better. I want to be in fashion or design though..my passion lies there.

urbanamy said:
I got black hair...but I am dying to try new Feria Hi-lift Browns and I like the Downtown Brown, which is probably a light cool brown. I like to change my hair color once in a while as long as it's NOT blonde or red. Black, although in vogue right now, can be boring for me. Have anyone tried it yet?

i've tryed the hi-lift by feria and it works great!!!!! althought right now, im working on getting my natural brown hair back and going in for a cut today after having the "irina" hair cut.

I'm asian and I think black hair looks very boring on asian girls, unless you're tall and gorgeous like Kelly Hu or that Japanese lady from the Last Samurai. In my opinion, Asian facial features don't stand out very much and we need color to brighten up our face. The right brown/blonde/red shade can make a person look so much better, even without makeup. On the other hand, Caucasian women/men look absolutely gorgeous with very dark hair, especially if they have blue/green eyes.

i have to agree with you baggi. only two people like my natural hair color which is dark brown, my mom and my older sister..biased because they absolutely loathe light hair in general! lol

my natural hair color is dark brown, i think its okay but im glad i decided to start dyeing my hair. ive been all different shades brown, from light brown (without the orange luckily), to super dark again, dark red, light red(more natural looking and flattering than dark red), and blonde highlights on light brown. dark brown is challengeing even though that is my natural hair color, i cannot imagine dyeing my hair black.

lighter hair has been more low maintanence for me. i can go without makeup without looking washed out like i do with dark hair. im very fair skinned, i think it helps with different hair colors a lot. experimenting is fun as long as you choose shades that will flatter your skintone :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have asian hair and I like it because it's managable. I've always loved dark hair against blue/green eyes because it really brings the color out.

I think one of the reasons why I loved (loved) Adriana Lima was because she had that jet black hair against these cat-like eyes. I thought it was stunning ^_^

CarolC said:
I am also in law, so the smarter and classier you can look, the better.

Yes this is what I am a little concerned about (most likely a silly concern but anyway)- I have just finished my law degree and have a few job interviews coming up and am a little worried that because of my hair colour I will be looked down upon. I've worked in a couple of firms that have made plenty of comments about not liking blondes ("oh but you're ok!" :rolleyes:) and much preferring brunettes (wtf??). As a blue-eyed (natural) blonde it's irritating to be judged as stupid, trashy, dumb etc when I know of several idiots in law who are incompetent just because they suck at their job rather than due to their hair colour.

joie said:
Yes this is what I am a little concerned about (most likely a silly concern but anyway)- I have just finished my law degree and have a few job interviews coming up and am a little worried that because of my hair colour I will be looked down upon. I've worked in a couple of firms that have made plenty of comments about not liking blondes ("oh but you're ok!" :rolleyes:) and much preferring brunettes (wtf??). As a blue-eyed (natural) blonde it's irritating to be judged as stupid, trashy, dumb etc when I know of several idiots in law who are incompetent just because they suck at their job rather than due to their hair colour.

Joie:

Law is tough for women. I have to say that I have a gorgeous boss who is a successful criminal defense atty. She is blonde and pretty so she does not always get the respect she deserves. She's brilliant. I am sure the same would be true for a brunette or a red head, as well. I don't think it is always about being a blonde, although for some reason, the blondes always get the short end of the stick, even if they are brilliant, you always have to prove yourself. Society still judges a woman's intellect based on her looks and obviously her haircolor..if your beautiful, you must be dumb and/or shallow..never smart. It is ridiculous. Are all beautiful women expected to work in the fashion or beauty industry? Would we dare tell a nice-looking male atty he should be an male model or a lifeguard or something..NO! What hipocracy! All I can suggest is that if you are a platinium blonde, darken it a notch or two, while remaining a blonde or stay the light blonde that you are and get a shorter professional cut...somewhere you have to look polished. I don't believe that a woman should change herself for her work, but the norms of society decide all that nonsense. Currently my hair is long, but I just put it in a chic cignon and forget about it. Also, your wardrobe should be chic, not boring. Professional does not have to be black and navy suits everyday. Add your own flair to it and set yourself apart. Hope this helps.

Thanks very much for the advice CarolC :smile: It's a little darker blonde now (I posted a little pic recently in the 'style my hair' thread). I try and put it up in an ibis clip and I'll grow it out a little so I can do chignons etc with it. I'm still tossing up going darker though, it's just hard to "let go" of the blonde (sounds ridiculous, I know, esp as it's summer here now).

You would have thought we'd evolved past what a woman looks like and how that relates to her capacities but sadly that's not the case (happens a lot to female politicians too, at least in Australia, and no doubt it happens to females in other occupations as well).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->