Department Stores Dropping Petite Sizes

writergal28

Reaction score
According to a NYTimes article, many department stores are dropping petites because no one is buying them (people aren't buying them because they're ugly!) While main street/mall retailers seem to do fine with their petite lines, the elimination (or at least cutting back) of petites in the department stores leaves some women with fewer choices. Petite women look better in petite clothes, because they are cut to fit them. Alterations do not always work. Really, the only reason why petite women don't want to buy most department store petite lines is because they aren't always the nicest looking!

I have created a petition that will hopefully get the attention of the fashion industry. Petite women need to speak up about these issues. Otherwise, no one will hear us and nothing will be done.

You can also find my full rant here.

i wish they made more nice petite clothes .. the market is defently there but they only seem to make them in classic stlyes etc. i think there is a real gap in the market for nice , fashion forward petite clothes.In msot shops the petite range is so small they should stock the whole range in petite.

I find it interesting that there aren't too many responses. I guess most people just think that us short gals should either learn to sew or go to a seamstress to get our clothes altered. If that's really the case, then the fashion industry should really only make two or three sizes! All we need to do is to fix it, right?

I'm definitely petite and I will never miss petite departments because yes, IT IS VERY UGLY. And I do find clothes my size, from Zara to Armani. I think clothes have shrunk lately. Or maybe I am not so petite after all? (1.50 44kg)

shadow said:
I'm definitely petite and I will never miss petite departments because yes, IT IS VERY UGLY. And I do find clothes my size, from Zara to Armani. I think clothes have shrunk lately. Or maybe I am not so petite after all? (1.50 44kg)

Would you buy petites if they were more stylish? My issue with "regular" boutiques and chain stores like Zara is that they're really long. Most petite women, unless they're really, really short, wouldn't need to get things shortened if they bought from petite stores.

You will always be short/petite, even if you gain like 100 lb, unless you get limb lengthening surgery. Petite DOES NOT mean small-framed.

Yes, 150 cm and 44 kg is definitely petite.

I always have to shorten trouser legs and occasionally the sleeves of jackets or coats, but that's no problem. I would buy petite if they made attractive clothes, most of them are too dowdy.

shadow said:
I always have to shorten trouser legs and occasionally the sleeves of jackets or coats, but that's no problem. I would buy petite if they made attractive clothes, most of them are too dowdy.

But don't you find that there are some things that cost more to alter, because of the difficulty? Jacket lengths, especially if they're of a certain style, are almost IMPOSSIBLE to fix. Even if it is, the cost ends up almost as much as the garmet itself, so really, what's the point? Also, if you've tried petite sizes, don't you find that it just fits better as a whole, compared to regular length pants that require alterations?

I am trying to get the industry to make a few changes here.

BTW, this question isn't just for shadow, but for everyone!

Jachet lenght are impossible to alter. But given that the fashion now is for super-tight short jackets, I am buying an awful lot of them without any fitting problem except sleeves.

Undoubtedly petite sizes fit better, but I don't want to look like a miniature school teacher:P .

The problem would be solved if all brands offered a petite size!

erm stupid question but what size is petite exactly?! do you just mean shorter pants and sleeves etc or like US sizes 4 and below? if one gained 100lbs the person would still need short sleeves, do you want to say that? I'm just 5'1 myself and never realized there were specifically made petite sizes, might be because Austria has less to offer anyway...

ambidextrous said:
erm stupid question but what size is petite exactly?! do you just mean shorter pants and sleeves etc or like US sizes 4 and below? if one gained 100lbs the person would still need short sleeves, do you want to say that? I'm just 5'1 myself and never realized there were specifically made petite sizes, might be because Austria has less to offer anyway...

Petite sizes fit women who are 5'4 (162 cm-ish) or less, regardless of size. You can be a US 22 and still be petite if you're short. Petite sizes are cut to proportion of these women, meaning that they come with shorter hemlines, sleeves, and even button sizes. Very often, they're also slightly narrower than a "regular" size with the same number.

Petite sizes tend to be from lines that make clothes for more "mature" women. I can name on one hand the number of brands that carry petite sizes that would appeal to people in their 20s and 30s.

They are:

Banana Republic
Gap (online only)
Ann Taylor/Ann Taylor Loft
J. Crew
Reitmans (Canada only)

thanx for your explanation! :flower: when thinking about it my blazers' sleeves are too long :doh: the only hightstreet shops here are H&M, Zara and Mango. the latter two simply carry very tight fitting stuff. though Zara is spanish their trousers are crazily long and tight :blink:

ambidextrous said:
thanx for your explanation! :flower: when thinking about it my blazers' sleeves are too long :doh: the only hightstreet shops here are H&M, Zara and Mango. the latter two simply carry very tight fitting stuff. though Zara is spanish their trousers are crazily long and tight :blink:

You're very welcome!

Zara's Woman line should be more loose fitting than other Zara stuff though.

omg you are all completely right about the stuff being ugly. and there is also a small choice, i went into Dorothy Perkins and the selection there was terrible, there was about a choice of two pairs of jeans two jakets five tops one style of smart trousers and two dresses. accepted it was a small store but the range was absolutely aful.

writergal28 said:
According to a NYTimes article, many department stores are dropping petites because no one is buying them (people aren't buying them because they're ugly!) While main street/mall retailers seem to do fine with their petite lines, the elimination (or at least cutting back) of petites in the department stores leaves some women with fewer choices. Petite women look better in petite clothes, because they are cut to fit them. Alterations do not always work. Really, the only reason why petite women don't want to buy most department store petite lines is because they aren't always the nicest looking!

I have created a petition that will hopefully get the attention of the fashion industry. Petite women need to speak up about these issues. Otherwise, no one will hear us and nothing will be done.

You can also find my full rant here.

Petite sizes are ugly?? :unsure: I'm confused here. I buy petites most times, and I always thought petite referred to frame measurements not height (but I am petite in both height and frame). So petites should be the same clothes as regulars, just smaller/narrower.

I thought. I dunno, I just buy what fits.

galviggo said:
Petite sizes are ugly?? :unsure: I'm confused here. I buy petites most times, and I always thought petite referred to frame measurements not height (but I am petite in both height and frame). So petites should be the same clothes as regulars, just smaller/narrower.

I thought. I dunno, I just buy what fits.

Petite is height only (defined as 5'4 or less). Actually, some stores, such as Talbots, offer a petite-plus section. Petite sizes are cut slightly narrower AND shorter. A size 2P, for example, is slightly narrower than a regular size 2, but broader (though shorter) than a regular size 0. Sizing charts for stores such as J.Crew and Ann Taylor will also tell you this.

If you check out the deparment stores, you'll find that most petite sizes are cut for more mature women (boxy, etc), which is why young people aren't buying. If they buy petite sizes at all, they're going to Ann Taylor Loft or Banana Republic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->