Depressing Music

ShuggaStiletto

Reaction score
Weird topic? Yes...but I have a friend going through a difficult time and I'm going to make her a CD and need some suggestions. I'll mix in happy music too to cheer her up, but I want touching music that'll mean something to her...something to relate to.

thanks.

well, avoid Radiohead...

it is proven that Mozart and Blur made music that can put u in a better place...

duran duran-early hits r lovely, boy george, and 2 songs that make me wanna jump r timo mass - first day and f*ck forever...
and twist and shout, give peace a chance, and if u want u make someone laugh simply him/her the early 90s so called hits from 2unlimited, or marky mark, take that, spice girls..

well, i have fever so i cannot think of more... but i hope i was helpfull, for just a little bit :flower:

Belle & Sebastian!!! for the happy music :D

Bright Eyes, Iron & Wine, David Gray, Damien Rice, Elliott Smith, Jeff Buckley, Joseph Arthur, Rufus Wainwright, Sufjan Stevens, for the depressing part....you may check out some lyrics and then decide what song fits best...

Depeche Mode is what I recommend...

Some albums:

Your Funeral... My Trial - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
Broken English - Marianne Faithfull
Berlin - Lou Reed
The Idiot - Iggy Pop
Low - David Bowie
The Marble Index - Nico
Turn on the Bright Lights - Interpol
Blood on the Tracks - Bob Dylan
Closing Time - Tom Waits

And anything by Cat Power / Leonard Cohen / Joy Division / The Smiths

Billie Holliday is the ultimate depressed music. pretty much anything by her is good for someone feeling down.

I also agree with whoever it was the mentioned Rufus Wainwright and Jeff Buckley, specifically Go or Go Ahead by Rufus and Jeff Buckley's version of Lilac Wine....they're so good.

you can also add some the smiths music, like 'how soon is now', 'i know it's over', 'last night i dreamt that somebody loved me' and 'still ill'. they are beautifully sad and meaningful, if only you want to listen deeper.
i also guess block party, interpol and muse may not be a bad choice, either.

good luck for your friend, shugga! :flower:

Here Is Gone - The Goo Goo Dolls
Rain - Breaking Benjamin

That is all I can think of off the top of my head.

^ :heart: "Here is Gone" ... I definitely have a thing for "depressing music"... add on "Name" from the Goo Goo Dolls, too...

Unkle - Rabbit in your headlight

(Watch also the video.)

Tears and Rain - James Blunt ( I always found it depressing)
Helena - My Chemical Romance
The Blower's Daughter - Damien Rice
I'll be Seeing you - Billie Holiday

Did your friend break up with someone?

jeff buckley, cat power , damien rice, billie holiday, rufus wainwright ...

Agree with Jennifer~ and Erin.

For the depressing part:

There's a song by Angelo Badalamenti and sung by Marianne Faithfull (the queen of depressing music) called Who Will Take My Dreams Away?.

In the film Mulholland Drive there was a Spanish version of Roy Orbison's Crying called Llorona.

Maybe I'm the only person, but I find Simon & Garfunkel's songs like Sounds of Silence depressing.

Oh, and Johnny Cash's version of Hurt is a must.

Last edited by a moderator:
WhiteLinen said:
Agree with Jennifer~ and Erin.

For the depressing part:

There's a song by Angelo Badalamenti and sung by Marianne Faithfull (the queen of depressing music) called Who Will Take My Dreams Away?.

In the film Mulholland Drive there was a Spanish version of Roy Orbison's Crying called Llorona.

Maybe I'm the only person, but I find Simon & Garfunkel's songs like Sounds of Silence depressing.

Oh, and Johnny Cash's version of Hurt is a must.

I love all those songs:heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hasunny428
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->