designers inspired by japanese kimono

roel

Reaction score
im posting this, because im pretty confident therell b some people around here, who can help me out.

momentarily im working on an essay about kimono, traditional japanese wear. i came to the conclusion it would b nice to wrap it up by drawing a little link to the adaption of the kimono in present times. not only by pointing out the changes in the way how and when its being wore nowadays in japan, but also the way its being a source of inspiration for designers abroad.

so, can u guys mayb think of some (either western or japanese) designers who have had their collections inspired by this garment?

More recently, Alexander McQueen mens F/W 06/07 and Cavalli, for instance...

Gucci SS 2003

style.com

He took the idea of a kimono and portrayed it first as a simple silk beach cover-up, then as an elegant formfitting dress, painstakingly made from hand-painted strips of silk.

100080515al2.jpg
100080514jl6.jpg
100080516dp5.jpg
100080526oz5.jpg
100080527ug8.jpg
100080529tn2.jpg

It was all about the Kimono this year at Imitation of Christ SS 07. Tara even had vintage Kimonos hanging from the bridge. It was intersting.

Alright, I'll be the first to admitt it's a bit crass, though I believe the Kimono photograph above featuring Omahyra for Tom Ford and Gucci was the first time she's appeared topless on the runway after her birthday...

Try and tell me Tom Ford wasn't thinking the same thing, but with a clever James Bond grin...

thanks all, ill b checking these out.

just comes in mind that viktor and rolf had this summer a special line dedicated to japanese women.

Dries Van Noten has also a very delicate/creative relationship with the Japanese kimono

design_download: Alexander McQueen
From one of the world's foremost fashion designers comes the third in our series of downloadable garments. Alexander McQueen allows us to examine and assemble his pattern for a beautiful kimono-inspired jacket from the Autumn/Winter 2003 collection

Source: showstudio.com

great thread! i sooo loved those gucci kimonos. i hope to hunt them down at some vintage shop in later years....

Last edited by a moderator:
image from target.com
paul and joe for target's take on the kimono from fall 06.

Attachments

• pauljoe.jpg
    pauljoe.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 69

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigsadrn
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"