Dior Homme S/S 2019 Paris

Very mainstream forgettable, but I want the jacket in the last pic.

There are two jackets and a coat I love, but the rest was dated and forgettable imo. Nothing here to see in the clothes or bland as a wall model cast.

Kim can do much much better.

colors are nice, and indeed the saddle bag is a nice touch.

this thing with the colors (pastel, white, pale blue, bone, neon/pop) is a trick, you see it everywhere now. its a smart way of doing it, but its starting to become very easy and low effort, its masking the fact that there is very little substance here.

Very approachable, commercial looks. Neither hate or love anything about it - which I sort of expected so whatever.

Side note: This is so much better than Virgil's LV it's...kind of hilarious.

I know this isn't constructive but I've seen far worse. And I was expecting such. So this was safe start for Kim.

With they current offerings from most brands, this feels like a breath of fresh air even though it’s not groundbreaking at all. I love all the outerwear!!

Generic at best. The effect of those clothes on me is the same from a sleep pill. I never saw him as a great designer though.

I'd love to see what Monsieur Dior would say if he comes from death and look at Maria Grazia's and Kim's work . If I were him, I'd die again.

Not a fan of KJ but I actually didn't mind this at all. It's definitely a much better debut than LV but the styling of the hats just ruined a lot of it for me. Wearing it backwards with the clunky logo just made it look really juvenile and stupid. The KAWS collaboration also just felt unnecessary and random.

I think the accessories will be a big hit, especially those cool rainbow glasses. It was also really cute seeing him pick Yoon up at the end, I'm so glad she's getting the recognition she deserves.

The level of praise he's getting from people like Tim Blanks or British fashion insiders like Alexander Fury is downright annoying. Yes, it's a much better debut than Virgil at LV and yes he only had three months to work on the collection, but let's not pretend that what he's done here is not similar to what MGC did during her debut in S/S 2017: rehashing what they've been doing all along.

It's not that he suddenly has to turn into a Hedi Slimane or John Galliano, but the proposition he offers is barely fresh. The lace-as-print top with Dior logo is the only thing that seems interesting to me, but even that is nothing more than the equivalent of MGC's "We Should All Be Feminists" t-shirt.

So far, Galliano still reigns supreme and I don't see anyone dethroning him anytime soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Generic at best. The effect of those clothes on me is the same from a sleep pill. I never saw him as a great designer though.

I'd love to see what Monsieur Dior would say if he comes from death and look at Maria Grazia's and Kim's work . If I were him, I'd die again.

I think Monsieur Dior has died several deaths over the decades.:wink:

The ceremonial 2018 changing of the guard at the top of the Paris menswear establishment is now complete: Kim Jones has shown at Christian Dior, three days after his friend and mentee Virgil Abloh swept all before him on his rainbow-hued runway at Louis Vuitton. Here are the headlines on how it went: Jones co-opted the women’s couture mentality of Dior, and Abloh elevated the language of streetwear. Two sides of a coin which belongs to the luxury currency of LVMH, now being freshly minted.

Where to start? There was a Prince, Nicolai of Denmark, for openers - in a white and shirting-stripe inside-out sartorially-skilled check collage of a suit and sneakers. There was a monumental floral cartoon teddybear effigy of Christian Dior by KAWS. There was an over-excited front row of celebrities, designers, real-life friends, and presiding corporate dignitaries. There were Kim Jones’ instagram posts showing Naomi Campbell and Kate Moss, posing in the studio. And then there was his theory, imparted in the Dior Homme showroom, about it being time for couture values to be imported into menswear. “I’d call it romantic, rather than feminine,” he said, thus joining his point of view to this week’s conversations on the topic with designers as chalk-and-cheese as John Galliano at Maison Margiela and Raf Simons.

Jones then rattled through the nuances: how he got tiny feathered flowers made to mimic the exact color and pattern of Monsieur Dior’s porcelain dinner service - and then trapped the result under plastic, in jackets. How he had toile de Jouy patterns made to imitate the fabric on the walls of the first boutique M Dior had, in 1947. Why the bee motif - a symbol Dior used in 1955. Why the ‘Cannage’ cafe chairnt cane work pattern which he’d laser-cut into panels on the back of an ordinaire-seeming bourgeois trench-coat and bag. Why rose-pink suits popped up: Dior was a rose fanatic.

Jones learned - and proved - a thing or two as creative director at Louis Vuitton. One of them was that he fully appreciates the sane commerciality of balancing wild things with some of the things a regular (wealthy) man would understand as suits. Another is that he absorbed and creatively responded to the savoir faire of in-house skills. Jones also realized that he could engage stacks of people who luxury had never touched, both through his reeling in of Supreme for a collaboration, and by his personal friendships.

So this was the essence of what went on at his debut Dior show (the press notes were headed DIOR, not Dior Homme). Jones threw in delightful morsels for the millennials - tiny John Galliano for Dior-era saddlebags, CD logo stud earrings by Yoon, utility clips designer by Matthew Williams of Alyx. And there were suits, the jackets wrapped and buttoned a little off-center, with a cut named “Oblique” - a reference to a 1955 Dior couture collection.

In our time, the role of heavy-hitters in the creative director class is to orchestrate shows as immersive experiences. As with Alessandro Michele at Gucci, and Hedi Slimane - about to debut at Celine next season - as with the resort trips taken by Chanel, by Nicolas Ghesquière on the LV women’s side, and Maria Grazia Chiuri at Dior, there must be a thousand directions to look in, people to recognize, references for fashion geeks to clock, and sets to Instagram. Jones has that, in spades.

by SARAH MOWER
vogue

This collection is more cohesive than anything that MGC has presented.

:heart: :heart: :heart:

This is impressive! I personally would want each and every look. I think apart drom the fact that it's cohesive, there's also a feminine allusion to it all which I find so impressive. Like the perfect accompaniment to the Dior DNA.

Time to get rid of MCG....let him take over!

isn't menswear all look like this? what's so excited about.
i do like the feminine glamour in this collection

Beyond surprised about all the praise. This is as bland as Maria Grazia. I’d die if him takes the total helm at Dior.

I really can’t stand Kim Jones’ work. His first couple of collections at LV were adorable, but then it went so downhill.

This collection is so dated, so dull, so prissy, so silly looking I can barely stand it. The fit and proportion and styling of this looks very dweeby. Nothing sexy here at all.

I really can’t stand Kim Jones’ work. His first couple of collections at LV were adorable, but then it went so downhill.

This collection is so dated, so dull, so prissy, so silly looking I can barely stand it. The fit and proportion and styling of this looks very dweeby. Nothing sexy here at all.

Exactly. If this show would have happened during Mens fashion week in NYC for a random label, no one would be talking about it.

Those mini saddle bags and the all-over CD prints are so lame and predictible.

i find all of this so basic, too basic. Was really expecting more. His tenure at LV had some luxe pieces but it s really so generic here. even the men saddle isnt attractive.

and the use of Kaw is like an attempt to do a supreme 2.0.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derekz7
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->