Do Hollywood actresses dress like bag ladies?

I don't think he's saying celebs should be in couture and looking perfect all of the time, but when Audrey and Marilyn put on a pair of jeans an a cardigan they still looked great. Those girls (and the gents as well) wouldn't even think of going out in public with unkempt hair, baggy, wrinkled clothes and not a stich of makeup on.

I think his real point is that the majority of celebrities don't take pride in their appearence. Comfort is one thing, looking like you rolled out of bed, threw on the first thing you found and left the house without even grooming is quite another.

I would never be cought dead in public looking like some celebrities do. Call it comfort if you want, but Val isn't entirely wrong. Celebs may have a more hectic schedule, but when you see them roaming around LA looking like s**t what excuse do they have? Like I said, it's entirely impractical to expect celebs to look perfect everyday, but the sad fact is most of them look like s**t most of the time and considering their role in society that's just wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hahahahahahahaha... I think its great, it seems long gone the days when hollywood stars were always put togther, and the epitamy of perfection! What ever happned to class?!?! I am so depressed at how trashy has been made desirable.

what about one of his favorite muses, gwyneth????

(photo bruno press)
gwynneth_009.jpg

"You see, Cammy, you need to drop this crazy notion that a 33-year-old woman can make her own mind up about what to wear. For a start, stop spending your leisure hours hanging out on beaches with gorgeous young pop stars, when you know full well that surfing makes your ponytail go all bumpy. Instead - for all our sakes - learn to do a chignon, swap the flipflops for kitten heels, and go pose by a stone fountain with your knees together."

:lol: perfect sarcasm

^ Agreed, I loved that :D

This idea that celebrities have a "role" in our society strikes me as a very old-fashioned notion. I'd just be thrilled if they stopped doing drugs, I'm not worried about their clothes. Not endorsing paparazzi, but I also think it's healthy to see that celebrities are human (not perfect). Shattering false ideas of perfection is probably a public service.

Valentino is not exactly updating his image with these remarks.

Leave it to Valentino to be soo catty :innocent: :rolleyes:

In the age of Marylin Manroe and Lauren Becall there was less of a media frenzy and obsession with celebrities and therefore they were not photographed unless at public events. They probably did look like bag ladies when they were not made flawless for appearances..we just dont have candid snapshots to prove it. Valentino is not a woman. Hence the stupidity of his comment - he has no idea how streneous it is to try and look "picture perfect" every second of the s#day. Its also rathe rboring to see glamour, glamour, glamour continiously.. we need reassurance that they are real people who can sometimes dress casually

Last edited by a moderator:
HauteFashion said:
Valentino is not a woman. Hence the stupidity of his comment - he has no idea how streneous it is to try and look "picture perfect" every second of the s#day. Its also rather boring to see glamour, glamour, glamour continiously.. we need reassurance that they are real people who can sometimes dress casually

Thank you! Props to you HauteFashion! :flower:

I wouldn't wear tracksuits if I had $$$ to spend on clothes. I don't wear them now that I'm skint so...but still I don't think anyone expects Julia Roberts to wear Valentino just to go to the grocery shop.

My point is, there are indeed things you can wear that are confortable and casual and still make you look pretty.

HauteFashion said:
Leave it to Valentino to be soo catty :innocent: :rolleyes:

In the age of Marylin Manroe and Lauren Becall there was less of a media frenzy and obsession with celebrities and therefore they were not photographed unless at public events. They probably did look like bag ladies when they were not made flawless for appearances..we just dont have candid snapshots to prove it. Valentino is not a woman. Hence the stupidity of his comment - he has no idea how streneous it is to try and look "picture perfect" every second of the s#day. Its also rathe rboring to see glamour, glamour, glamour continiously.. we need reassurance that they are real people who can sometimes dress casually

I agree with that comment.

Not everyone has the energy and time to look their best, celebrities are real people to you know. :rolleyes: The man expects perfection everytime....oh give me a break.

I for one am glad to see celebs dress down, and not looking so glamourous just to go grocery shopping or clothes shopping. It shows they like to be in comfort like the rest of us.

Val is talking a bunch of rubbish to be honest.:P

i don't think stars should strap on kitten heels and a full head of makeup but i think they could try. I think tracksuits should only be worn at home, but its perfectly normal and acceptable to wear casual clothes out. I like what stars usually wear out like Dunst,Olsens etc. Basically daggy is not ladylike. I know this sounds ridiculous for the 21st century but some things from the past should be passed down like manners etc. I mean we keep thinking that the 1950's behavious was appalling and derogatary against women. So we've tried to get as far away from that as possible, but we've lost all of the important qualities as well. Sorry got a bit of track. hope this makes sense.

on one point I agree with him about people not caring as much of their appearance these days as they apparantely did before, which is a shame because I love dressing up and I like it when you can see that people have put some effort in what they look like. One of my many mottos in life is: Just because you feel like sh*t you don't have to look like it.

but on the other hand sometimes when you're in a hurry you don't have time to dress up and that's when the tracksuit is pretty good..
BUT what I don't like is that I've seen LOTS of people wearing tracksuits to look like they haven't put any effort into their looks but at the samt time they're wearing a complete set of makeup.. Like, if they had time to put on make-up they could at least find 5 minutes to put on a decent outfit

=D

^That Gwyneth photo above does not count because it was taken on the set of Proof :P

I completely agree with him but its not my business if Mary-Kate dresses in rags or Paris Hilton barely dresses at all.

What bothers me is that these women (to some) are seen as fashion icons. I may offend some with this statement but Mary-Kate is not a fashion icon. Paris Hilton is not a fashion icon. Etc. Etc. There is certainly a lack of class in Hollywood, however I think that applies to a lot more than just the way that dress. Hollywood is chockfull of tack: Paris Hilton, Ashley Simpson, Jessica Simpson, Britney Spears...the list is endless.

giving this thread a little bump :P

the olsen twins were at the height of their bag lady-ness at some point in the last year or two i believe?

but... do we think this whole bag lady trend is continuing or are starlets taking the time to look more presentable and less shabby in public these days due to the increase in paparazzi photos and their accessibility to the public...?

i think the olsen twins for one (or two :rolleyes:) are looking a bit more polished, or less bag lady-ish of late...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->