Downton Abbey

Discussion in 'the Entertainment Spot' started by LUXXX, Apr 15, 2011.

1. pivoslyakova

pivoslyakova Member

i didnt see this coming, but it was a bit obvious (?) she didnt have a lot of participation this season but still it was so sad :(

2. YoninahAliza

YoninahAliza New Member

I am so, so gutted by this episode. I've been crying on and off for the last hour, I kid you not. It was awful that they wrote Lady Sybil out of the show, and dying like that, she could have been saved if people had listened. I don't know if I'll ever forgive Julian Fellowes for this.
    :cry: :cry: :cry:

3. LUXXX

LUXXX New Member

Wow, they are really making this season count.

4. newprincesita

newprincesita New Member

I cried a little also. I couldn´t believe that sybill died for real. Oh my God! How I hated his lordship for being so damn stubborn! The image of the Granny walking towards the wake, was just too much. And Carlson and Mrs Hugues so touched. Even Thomas who has no heart.
    A real heartbreak of an episode.

5. LolaSvelt

LolaSvelt New Member

I don't watch the show any more, but someone told me about it. She was one of the better characters. Shame.

6. chickadee

chickadee New Member

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Poor Sybil. Also, Matthew has found some balls apparently to want to conduct business on that day. :angry: Tell that dude bye, we're in mourning over here, and tell him you'll talk to him later. I'm sure he would understand. I also didn't mind Mary so much in this episode, although I wish Edith would stop hoping that they will get along. Nice hug between them though. And poor Branson. Also, Thomas's reaction as well as the whole downstairs to the news was just heartbreaking. Literally, I cried the last half the show.

7. glitterpeacock

glitterpeacock New Member

^Mary is so mean, that's the second time she's told Mary that they will never be friends.
    Everyone is so annoying this season. Sybill became placid and frankly a little insignificant. It's only Edith whose character seems to be developing. I would like to thank LOVE magazine's Twitter account for revealing the biggest spoiler of all three series. I was so angry!

8. glitterpeacock

glitterpeacock New Member

On the bright side, I really liked the most recent episode.

9. newprincesita

newprincesita New Member

^^Yes, it was a sweet little episode, full of clever dialogs, I loved Lady Grantham and Mrs Crawley. Mary redeemed herself a little bit. Lord Richard and Carson also, great acting, even if their position (around the maid/prostitute) is so dislikable.

#329 newprincesita, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited by moderator : Oct 23, 2012
  10. chickadee

chickadee New Member

Words cannot express how glad I am my baby Edith is getting a storyline where she is valued and appreciated! :woot: She deserves it. Her family has always treated her like crap and never given a second thought about how she must have felt. But I really hope Edith gets her career and finds herself, gets a huge dose of self esteem, and maybe even love? :blush: One can only hope. Anyway, go Edith! And go Branson for sticking up to Robert, because goodness knows it was a long time coming between the two of them. Can't wait til this weekend. This Jimmy/Thomas stuff seems to be coming to a really ugly head. Also, poor Daisy.

11. LUXXX

LUXXX New Member

That last ep had some great dark comedy in it. When Isabelle says, "I believe Cousin Robert is referring to the fact that Ethel was a prostitute."

The look on Cora's face! :lol: I could not stop laughing. Her eyes nearly popped out of her head.

12. jemina

jemina New Member

I love Cora. She seems so down to earth.

13. LUXXX

LUXXX New Member

Love, love, loved the whole season! Also, loved Bates getting a clue at the end that there are consequences to always being the nice guy. He overplayed his hand a bit and is now stuck with someone who isn't exactly trustworthy.

14. ladygodiva

ladygodiva New Member

I really want to get into this show, is it too late or would I still be able to catch up with everyone?

15. newprincesita

newprincesita New Member

^^Agree Luxxx, Bates overdid it, really.

Lady Godiva, It´s only three seasons with very few episodes, and now there are no new ones until next year, so you definitely should catch up in the meantime. You´ll love this show.

To everyone....No Christmas special this year?

16. YoninahAliza

YoninahAliza New Member

^There is a christmas special, I just don't think they've shown a preview for it yet.

So, I actually have to admit, I stopped watching the show, after they killed off Lady Sybil. Maybe I'm a bit melodramatic, but I sort of lost interest when they did that. I do plan on watching the rest of the season at some point, most-likely when it actually airs in America. But for now, I just don't really care about the show as much, maybe I'll like it better after I've taken some time off from watching it.

17. pivoslyakova

pivoslyakova Member

this wasnt my favorite season but it was good overall
    rob james collier did an excellent job this season, he deserves all the awards!!! i've seen some interviews of him and he is really funny!!

18. MulletProof

MulletProof Active Member

I FINALLY had the time to catch up with this season and had a proper marathon yesterday. I feel like Downton Abbey's somehow more exciting watching all the episodes at once, I did the same with season 1 and loved it, watched the episodes weekly with season 2 and it hardly met my expectations because it's all so spaced out when it isn't such a fast-paced plot, so I think I'll be sticking to more marathons in the future.

I was not disappointed at all. Lady Sybil's departure definitely felt wrong but at the same time, it felt like the kind of traumatic, too young loss that would happen in those years.. it's actually one of the things that I love about the show, that all the events and the way the characters experience life and their ideas seems accurate... you can actually relate to them despite how they're conditioned by the time they got to live in.

Also love how Edith's becoming more dimensional and went from being the most uptight to being the one that will likely embrace the more liberal 1920s. :heart:

Oh and I skipped Bates' scenes several times. Most annoying character in the show.

As for Thomas.. :cry:.. had he born 100 years later the poor guy. And the way they handle the situation at Downton is hard to believe actually.. they would've let the police take him.

19. Maximilian S

Maximilian S New Member

^ I agree! Even today most of the world is intolerant towards LGBT people and this show is based about a century back so it was pretty hard to believe. I just started watching Downton Abbey from season 3 and now I'm obsessed with it. I don't know what happened in the previous seasons but I was surprised that they portrayed an aristocratic family of that time as tolerant, open-minded people, that they would treat their servants so well. Anyway, I have come to love the storyline, the characters, the actors, the costumes, the set especially the Earl's house and I can't wait for The Christmas Special :heart:

20. Maximilian S

Maximilian S New Member

#340 Maximilian S, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited by moderator nikeid: Dec 3, 2012