Downton Abbey

Discussion in 'the Entertainment Spot' started by LUXXX, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Chanelcouture09

Chanelcouture09 Some Like It Hot

There does seem to be a Christmas Special this year, I believe I saw a snippet of it the other day.

2. twnv

twnv New Member

3. Chanelcouture09

Chanelcouture09 Some Like It Hot

Spoiler;
    *Dailymail.co.uk

4. ChristyLeReveur

ChristyLeReveur New Member

I wonder will mary ever have a baby with Matthew, I hope the playwright can make that happen asap lol :lol:
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. YoninahAliza

YoninahAliza New Member

^Well...I've herd some speculation that she might be pregnant during the x-mas special! That would be adorable. It will be interesting to see which show wins in the ratings, Call the Midwife or Downton Abbey. Personally, as a fan of both shows, I wouldn't complain either way. Though, Doctor Who might overshadow them both, especially since it's the introduction of a new companion! Goodness, it looks like I'll be watching a lot of television on Christmas (not that it really matters for me since it's not my holiday)! :lol:

6. newprincesita

newprincesita New Member

7. jemina

jemina New Member

^^I saw that. It's amazing.

8. chickadee

chickadee New Member

Thank you, Stephen Colbert, for continuing to remind me why you're my favorite celebrity of all time. "Like Lord Byron always said, 'mo money, mo quandaries.'" :lol:

9. newprincesita

newprincesita New Member

I just only wish they do the backwards parody, I mean Breaking Bad cast as englishmen, please Colbert!!

10. LoveLetter

LoveLetter New Member

Can anyone please tell me how Matthew exited the series? Write in white, please.

11. pivoslyakova

pivoslyakova Member

^he died in a car accident it was really sad :(

12. Maximilian S

Maximilian S New Member

^ There is no god, seriously even in fiction life is really shitty! So, this is how Dan Stevens exits the show after all the rumors of him leaving. I am so sad, disappointed and angry right now. I know this is just a show but his character was the most handsome and charming gentleman I've ever seen :cry:

13. honeycombchild

honeycombchild Active Member

You could see it coming in the episode, I just knew. As soon as Mary gave birth to a son and she said 'we have our son and heir' I knew the rumours were true and Matthew was a gonner.

14. YoninahAliza

YoninahAliza New Member

I sort of gave up on the show after the previous sad episode earlier in the season (I think we all know which one I'm referring too) but when I found out about what happened during the christmas special I've definitely abandoned ship. To be honest, I think they should've ended the show after the third season finale, tie it up neatly and be done with it, instead of dragging on and having to kill off characters when actors want to leave. Far too many shows have been ruined when major characters are no longer part of the plot-line and I fear that this is what will happen to Downton Abbey. Instead of being a show that will be remembered for being pretty great it will be one of those shows that's remarked as "went down the tube." A tad dramatic perhaps, but still, I am rather angry with how this season turned out. Quite a disappointment. :cry:

15. honeycombchild

ITV, the makers of the show, were forced to release a statement due to the amount of complaints they have received about Matthew's death. Basically they shift the blame to him saying he didn't want to renew his contract for anymore seasons and so they felt they had no choice but to kill him off as the character would never believable leave Lady Mary, he was too in love. In that respect I do agree, realistically I don't see what else they could have done in light of of that fact.

16. milourh

milourh Member

^ perhaps they could have wrapped it up? Why did they have to commission a fourth series? Well, of course I have an inkling as to the answer to that question.

17. ChristyLeReveur

^ ^ I agree with honeycombchild, although I too dislike the way they deal with the matter, it's the only way they could do.

Another option is to wrap up the whole series, but I find that impossible. The investors/company sure want to continue the series to earn money and so on. I don't think that would work. Now the future of this series is quite doubtful without you-know-who... :ninja: Hope this won't end up as a mess like Gossip Girl.
    Posted via Mobile Device

18. honeycombchild

It's one of ITV's flagship shows and in a year when XFactor is racing downhill they are going to try their best to cling onto it for as long as possible. It's also the only time they've ever produced any form of period drama to stand up against the BBC's. I can't imagine it will go anywhere too soon, but I don't think we're safe from characters leaving yet. I'd be very surprised if Maggie Smith makes it through the next series Very surprised.

19. ChristyLeReveur

^ I would be so depressed without her :( her character is the most interesting one.
    Posted via Mobile Device

20. MulletProof

MulletProof Active Member

Going with you!

I felt Sibyl's loss, as weird as it was, still fit the mood of uncertainty of the beginning of the 1920s, but this is just.. :doh:.. I actually can see the story evolving into something interesting in seasons to come but it just feels like the series' time and potential is being exploited at this point. On the other hand, Dan is such a twat, sorry, but the series is what? 10-11 episodes a year? how does that conflict with his image or schedule?. I know for most television actors, it gets to a point where the viewer will never be able to see them as anything more than their television character so they have to be careful on the duration of their appearances to "outgrow" that image while they can still can but I feel like he could've been more respectful to the people that have supported his acting thanks to the show and work the contract differently instead of just quitting it, leaving people no choice but to get rid of his character in a very nonsense, soap opera way.