Eugenia de la Torriente Leaves Vogue España as EIC

Benn98

Reaction score
Vogue Spain Editor-in-Chief Eugenia de la Torriente Steps Down

De la Torriente joined the Spanish edition of the fashion magazine in 2017 from Harper’s Bazaar Spain, and is leaving to pursue other projects, she told BoF. Deputy editor and digital director Inés Lorenzo Sarría will take over the title for now. It’s unclear as to whether the company would appoint a new editor in chief.

Condé Nast executives have been restructuring the company since the American publisher merged with its international arm, Condé Nast International, in 2019 under the leadership of New York-based global chief executive Roger Lynch. The aim has been to cut costs and increase efficiency at the company by integrating and consolidating divisions, from editorial to technology.

De la Torriente isn’t the only Vogue editor to step down recently. Less than a month ago, long-time Vogue China editor Angelica Cheung announced her exit after 16 years at the title. Anna Wintour, the editor of American Vogue and global content advisor for Condé Nast, is leading the search for her successor with newly appointed Condé Nast China managing director Li Li.

Last week, the publisher appointed a single managing director for all of Europe, promoting Vogue Spain’s president and chief executive Natalia Gamero del Castillo to that position. Further changes are expected as she sets a strategy for the region and as the company at large continues to reorganise its operations amid a fast-changing media landscape that has put pressure on its business model.

Business of Fashion

Pity. She leaves at a time when Vogue Spain was slowly developing a stronger image and direction. It can't be denied that Eugenia elevated Vogue Spain's brand and converted it from its dire commercial US Vogue wannabe state to a force to reckon with. Her tenure had the stronger imagery compared to her predecessor.

I wish her all the best.

Damn!! Vogue editors dropping like flies these days! Please, please Santa bring us the head of Wintour next.

I promise to be such a good girl, sigh!

There’s no way she was fired in my opinion. She turned that magazine around.

All the editors leaving so closely together - I’m sure Condé Nast is a disaster now and they are paying the consequences now

Which will be her last issue? January? February?

like i said in the other thread, i think it’s about money, for sure they cut her salary much and she didn’t accept it. or maybe they cut the budget to make the magazine and she couldn’t be sure to deliver with that kind of money.

like i said in the other thread, i think it’s about money, for sure they cut her salary much and she didn’t accept it. or maybe they cut the budget to make the magazine and she couldn’t be sure to deliver with that kind of money.

I also think this is the main reason for many of the departures. The money is elsewhere these days, mainly in tech. Fashion editors can bring value to many companies and projects in terms of visual appeal, style and celebrity, so I can see why they'd jump ship.

I also think this is the main reason for many of the departures. The money is elsewhere these days, mainly in tech. Fashion editors can bring value to many companies and projects in terms of visual appeal, style and celebrity, so I can see why they'd jump ship.
Yeah but would they have still cut, say Angelica's if Vogue China has actually GAINED readership?

Yeah but would they have still cut, say Angelica's if Vogue China has actually GAINED readership?

It's possible. Conde Nast as a whole is losing money, and younger editors come much cheaper these days. But until we get inside information, we're all speculating anyway :smile:

I think spanish Vogue maybe got better on their quality,etc but failed to get more sells. I think Vogue is quite popular specially among people in the industry but not among the regular population. So my initial idea that this was about money, after yesterday’s news, i think it’s money and power.

anyone can deliver the sales numbers of VS?

VE was always for posh and high society girls, a mix between hello 80's, tatler and telva. In recent years it was too modern. The Telva is what Vogue should be: a mix of culture, high society, a lot of fashion and good interviews ... Harper's Baazar is also improving a lot with Inmaculada J.

Her last editor's letter in the January 2021 issue:

Translated via Google

On my first day as director of Vogue Spain, I felt like Cinderella: As if by magic, masks and long dresses appeared in my hotel room in Paris to go to a dance of haute couture masks. Almost four years later, in my last day in office, feelings are less naive but just as exciting. I've been getting the best possible reward for days to the work done: the love of those who have done it with me. No there is no better measure of success or gratification than impacting life of other people, be these readers, collaborators or colleagues. In my first letter as editor, in the April issue of 2017, explained what it had meant to me to write in these pages for the first time, now 21 years ago. Although I have decided to finish this stage so happy to undertake other professional challenges, directing Vogue Spain will always be one of the milestones of my life professional and personal. On my first cover, Adwoa Aboah and Cameron Russell were hugging, dressed in high fashion, in an image made entirely by women. It was a statement of intentions and I am proud to say that the promise that she contained has been fulfilled in these four years. Together we do history, we said in that headline. And we have succeeded. Have been four years with a team and a cast of collaborators extraordinary and fighting for what we believed in. We have created with the kind of height, conviction and pleasure that one can only dare to wish in your imagination. Even in the circumstances
more adverse than any of us could have anticipated. It has not always been easy, but it has been exciting. In my first issue, we talked about female solidarity, to fight against racism, intersex, transsexuality, defense of the environment, the new talents of our country and body-positive activism. I want to thank Condé Nast for freedom and for the chance that my time at Vogue it will promote everything we believe in. In these four years, we have been faithful in all our supports and platforms to some principles among which are creativity, love of fashion and a commitment to feminism, sustainability and diversity. We have promoted the Spanish industry, crafts and talent through the Who’s On Next award and our editorial line. We have been consistent in our affections and loyalties and so I like that the cover of this issue is starring
Penelope Cruz, whom I interviewed for the first time in 2004 and who has been by far the character that has appeared the most times in the cover of Vogue Spain. This is my last letter, but much of me remains in the next issues and contents that were already planned and carried out. Later, mirastro will be diluted and other visions will be defined. Vogue's legacy is shaped by different voices and points of view, at different times, linked by an invisible but unbreakable thread: the tenacious pursuit of excellence. The distance, with the love and respect that I will always feel for these
five letters that have changed the world and so many of us.

Vogue España Digital Edition

Eugenia just announced she's the new deputy director of El Pais:

Makes you truly wonder why she left no?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->