Everything Platinum Blonde Hair

Platinum Blonde

Reaction score
For many years now I have wanted to have platinum blonde hair. It has gotten to be an obsession for me. My natural hair color is medium brown with darker and lighter brown highligths and red and golden highligths. (The highlights are natural) I know a lot of you probably think that I shouldn't do it. But I desperately want to do it! My "role models" in that category are:
Marilyn Monroe,Madonna,Jean Harlow,Jayne Mansfield,Courtney Love,
Gwen Stefani,Paris Hilton,Christina Aguilera,Donatella Versace,Dewi Driegen,Deborah Harry and so on.
Could someone that has had platinum blonde hair, have it or are a hairdresser
tell me:
1. The best way to get it.
2. The best way to care of it.
3. Products that are good in your opinion like
shampoos,conditioners and hair masks.

i've gone platinum a few times and i find it to be the most difficult hair colour to achieve and maintain, especially when your natural colour is brown. first off, don't do it yourself! go to a professional! i've witnessed the horrid results of home bleaching and they are not pretty. one girl i know ended up with orange bozo the clown hair and another had to have all her lovely long locks shorn off because of the damaging effects of the processing. second, expect a lengthy and expensive process...and painful! it'll take quite a while to get your medium brown hair to platinum and the chemicals will no doubt irritate your scalp during and after the process. a hint - go into the salon with 'dirty' hair, this protects the hair and scalp from becomming too dry and itchy. to keep your hair from going brassy, buy a toning cleanser and conditioner, avoid intense heat from styling, and stay clear of chlorine and direct sunlight/tanning beds. be good to your hair! i started out with dark brown hair and the results were very good but what an investment of time and money it was...

GOOD LUCK! :flower:

I have been platinum blonde a few times. My natural colour is dark blonde. At the moment it's pretty much white and I'm going darker next week (either a darker blonde or even a chocolate colour) because I'm sick to death of the regrowth and upkeep even though my natural colour is only a few shades darker.

Definitely go to a salon to get it done and definitely invest in some good shampoo and conditioner. Your hair will be quite dry and possibly damaged afterwards so get a moisturising spoo/conditioner and also a toning shampoo for blondes. Toners are also a godsend for platinum blondes and blondes generally- Goldwell make fantastic colour mousses which get rid of any brassiness you may encounter. Try not to wash it every day too. Other than that, enjoy it- it's a fantastic colour and you get heaps of attention with such a bright colour. :smile:

I am a natural blonde and I have recently had it highlighted and now it looks extremely light blonde - I love it!

However, not sure how it works for brunettes because it is such a dramatic change.

Because of the contrast, any roots that come in will look obviously darker against the platinum. So even if you have light brown hair, the roots will look darker.

Platinum is a constant upkeep job but if you're determined go for it! :smile:

Thank you so much for all your answers! I appreciate them very much!:heart:
I've learned more of platinum blonde hair thanks to you!:wink:
Yes I will absolutely go to a salon and do it. If I would do it myself it would probably be orange or yellow. And I don't want that atleast not as a finish result. I really want this hair color because I think it is the most beautiful and glamourous one. Some hairdressers have suggested blonde hightligths but I don't want that. More people are welcome to share your experiences with platinum blonde hair.:flower:

Products for platinum blonde hair

I wanted to start a thread that is about products for platinum blonde hair so I did! I have never had it but I really want to have it. These are the products that I can come up with that is for that. (Some might not be for just platinum blonde hair but blonde hair in general)

Paul Mitchell Color Schampoo Platinum Blonde
Revlon Nutri Color Creme 1002 White Platinum (conditioner/hair mask)
Goldwell Color Glow Live Blonde Shampoo
Goldwell Color Glow Live Blonde Leave-in-Fluid
Goldwell Color Glow Live Blonde Treatment
Tigi Bedhead Dumb Blonde Shampoo
Tigi Bedhead Dumb Blonde Reconstructor
KMS Color Vivality Blonde Schampoo
KMS Color Vivality Blonde Treatment
L'Oréal Serie Expert Gloss Color Silver
L'Oréal Serie Expert Shine Blonde Schampoo
L'Oréal Serie Expert Shine Blonde Conditioner
Matrix Essential So Silver Shampoo
John Frieda Highligth Activating Shampoo Platinum to Champagne
John Frieda Moisture Infusing Shampoo Platinum to Champagne
John Frieda Volume Enhancing Shampoo
John Frieda Highligth Activating Conditoner Platinum to Champagne
John Frieda Moisture Infusing Conditioner Platinum to Champagne
John Frieda Volumising Conditioner
John Frieda Gleam Crème-instant silkener
John Frieda Funky Chunky-texturising and defining gel
John Frieda Fresh Start-nourishing and revatilising mousse
John Frieda Spotligth Glosser-illuminates and detangels
John Frieda Curvaceous Curls-curl-defining styler
John Frieda Healthy Attitude-leave-in nourishing spray
John Frieda Spritz Glitz-lifting and thickening spray
John Frieda Boost Mousse-thickens and glosses
John Frieda Crystal Hold-hold and shine spray
John Frieda Forever Blonde-total colour protector
Lush The Blonde Shampoo
Lush American Cream Conditioner
Lush Veganese Conditioner
Lush Marilyn Hair mask
Lush Daddyo Shampoo
Schwarzkopf Bonacure Silver Shampoo

That's the products that I can think of. If you have any more suggestions please add them. And you are more than welcome to tell your experiences and opinions of the ones I have written above.

I'm glad you'll go for it. I hope that you love it. My hair is naturally a 6 out of 10 (1 being black, 10 being white) SO I only went up like 4 shades. I do love it though. I have very short hair so it's easier to get away with, but try not to wash it much. I only wash mine 2x a week or it gets dried out. I also have three sets of shampoo/conditioner that I rotate as needed:

-Aveda color conserve for most of the time

-Aveda Blue malva for when the color is going a little dull or brassy

-Aveda damage remedy for when it needs some extra moisture and nourishment

can you tell I like aveda?:lol:

Also I stay away from sun. Think of the "icons" you listed. Most of them have gorgeous fair porcelain skin. I try to lean towards that more than the Paris Hilton dark look. It's much healthier for both skin and hair and I think more beautiful :innocent: .

Thank you Pinksatin! Yes I have heard about Aveda but I have never tried it. I hope that I will love it as much as you.
I would appreciate you could answer in my Products for platinum blonde hair thread. If you haven't already done it.
Yes I also think that platinum blonde hair is more beautiful with pale or fair skin and that it is healthier.
Could anyone please try to respond these for me?
How many hair salon visits do you think I have to do before my hair gets that platinum blonde shade?
How many times should I wait between each visit? I have read that its not good to wait a day,couple of days a week before you bleach it again. That the best to do is to wait a month or more.

How many hair salon visits do you think I have to do before my hair gets that platinum blonde shade? for me it was only one but it took about 4-6 hours (I also got it cut supershort so that took a little time). It just takes forever to let the hair-lightening stuff lift through that many shades of your hair. It helps to not look in the mirror while you're waiting. I caught a couple glimpses of my hair in the orange and yellow stages and I felt so scared. THankfully it got to the near-white stage eventually. You have to be prepared to sit for HOURS though.
How many times should I wait between each visit? I waited about a month and a half. It depends on how badly you hate roots. For my short hair, it actually looked kinda cool with darker roots. Like it had more depth and dimension, not trashy, but of course I was happy to recolor the new growth eventually. :blush:

you asked so I'm giving you my opinions. When I had darker ash-blonde hair with highlights I used some of those John Freida products. My absolute favorite was the Spotlight Glosser. IT jsut made flyaways smoother and my hair moisturized and healthy-looking.

Now THat I'm platinum I don't use those but I do use other stuff that I mentioned int he other thread. Aveda's Color Conserve sham/cond is awesome! I also use the Color Conserve foaming leave-in conditioner. It helps keep it from fading in sun and stuff. Also I use A's Blue Malva s/c for when the color needs brightening or neutralizing. Maybe every 1-2 weeks. And I also use A's Damage Remedy s/c like once a week to boost moisture and nourish it. Bleaching the sh*t out of your hair can really damage it obviously.

I have only had platinum with short hair though so I use short-hair products, not blonde-hair products. I think your shampoo and conditioner are most important. That's what affects the color and condition most. Mostly I just use Aveda's control paste, custom control, brilliant finishing gloss, and light elements smoothing fluid. Not all at once though of course!

Also, I find using "Deep Penetrating Hair revitaliver" once every week or two as my conditioner helps keep it healthier. I sound like an ad for Aveda.:lol: But really, it's good stuff and it really makes a difference inthe condition of my hair. Plus it smells so good and it's good for the planet!

They can do a two stage lightening process...I forgot the proper name of it, it will come to me eventually! This is basically just bleaching, which takes quite long depending on your hair colour. The second stage is toning it to platinum.

I would say it would take 4-6 hours but..it all depends on your hair and everyones different. Some salons may send you away , some salons may ask you to do it gradually, find an experienced one they will talk you through the proccess and hopefully do it one day. Bring lots of pictures and explain exactly the shade you want.

Good luck :smile:

Go for it:woot: You will need to look after it with regular hair conditioning treatments. Even if you find that you do not like it then you can just have it coloured back to dark. Am a natural honey blonde and the other week hairdresser made a mistake and gave me a Kate Bosworth shade.

tifa said:
They can do a two stage lightening process...I forgot the proper name of it, it will come to me eventually! This is basically just bleaching, which takes quite long depending on your hair colour. The second stage is toning it to platinum.
true. I forgot to mention that. I basically just got it bleached to death and cut the first day and that tok about 6 hours and my hair is naturally dark blonde. When I left it was basically white. No pigment left.

I went back in the next week and they added toner to put some more honey and ashy pigment in it. I have pics too for example.....

before:
1104597741_m.jpg

only bleached:
1201940059_m.jpg

with toning:
1216230269_m.jpg

Once I get a job, I am having my red hair bleached stark white. Like white white. The essence of Platnium. Don't worry, I will go to a salon to get it done.

Thanks a lot for all your answers and encourgment! For telling me your experiences with platinum blonde hair and so on. I appreciate them very much. I've learned more about this thanks to all of you.
I think it will take me a couple of months to get it platinum blonde. Since my hair is really dark. And also that it has a lot of red shades in it. And I have read that red is the hardest colour to bleach. The first time I tried to get my hair platinum blonde was a couple of years ago. I sat in the salon for three hours and my hair never got platinum blonde but more golden/yellow blonde. This time I know better.

Tifa: Yes I will absolutely bring pictures to the hair salon. Of some celebrities that I mentioned above. So there's no missunderstanding. And like you wrote really explain how I want it and let the hairdresser tell me the process of it.

Pinksatin: Thanks for adding the pictures. I love them! It makes it easier to see what you mean now. I guess it was much easier for you to get it the blonde shade you wanted since you got your hair cut short. I would like to have my hair that short as you have on the pics. But my face shape is very round imo so I don't think I would feel comfortable in it.
This has nothing to do with the hair but I was wondering what lipsticks/lipglosses do you have on the pics?

Some of you mentioned toners in terms of shampoo. Is that the same thing as silvershampoo and silverconditioner. Hair products that are purple or blue to take away yellow tones.

To me, toners are not shampoos or conditioners but an additional, stronger product- sometimes labelled a semi-permanent colour. Eg Goldwell colorance- my preferred shade in this is 10P- a lovely pearly blonde shade. Link: http://www.goldwellusa.com/products/haircolor/colorance.asp (scroll down)

Also check out Schwarzkopf Igora colour mousses- Iceflower is nice but it's a level 91/2 so not quite platinum. http://www.alphabeauty.com/shopping/pricelist.asp?prid=11123&Schwarzkopf---9.5-1--Iceflower-

hi, a couple of days ago i dyed my hair blonde from a mousey brown colour - i did it all myself using at-home dyes and whilst it did take about 3 dyes it is now a great colour and tomorrow i plan to go a little whiter
i know it is risky doing it yourself and i really think you shouldn't if u have never done it before but i enjoy the experimental aspect of dying my own hair!! plus i used to have black dyed hair and one time went from black to platinum in a day!!

i think the main thing is to have excellent hair products whether goin to the salon or doing it urself - i use KERASTASE shampoos - they are all great just get the one specific to ur problem - and then good ole' AVEDA conditioners and once a week treatments - my hair is absolutely fine and pretty great condition even after all i do to it so i say its all about the shampoos and conditioners!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->