Fair Trade Clothing Brands & Human Rights ... the Ethical Consumer Movement

Erin

Iowa Girl Loves Fashion
Reaction score
For those interested in sweatshops, human rights, and that type of stuff, this may be of interest to you. :flower:

<<Sunday Independent, November 07, 2004

Larissa Nolan

Ali Hewson, Bono's wife, is set to take over the world of fashion with her own socially conscious clothing range.

Renowned charity worker Ali will launch the Edin brand early next year. All pieces in the collection will be organically made by fair trade workers.

The patron of the Chernobyl Children's Project (CCP) has been working discreetly on the fashion line, which she hopes will be on sale in America as early as February 2005.

An internationally famous male designer has been recruited, although his name will not be released until a later stage.

She plans to launch the brand in Ireland shortly after it gets off the ground in the U.S., and has reportedly already been in talks with Brown Thomas head Galen Weston about stocking it.

A spokesperson for Brown Thomas said: "We have not seen the clothes yet, but we are excited about the project.

"We look forward to seeing the collection with a view to stocking it in Brown Thomas."

The Edin brand will be mostly made up of casual wear in styles that are at the cutting edge of fashion. Jeans, tops and jackets will make up a good proportion of the collection.

Some of the collection has already been manufactured and is ready to wear. Ali herself wore a pair of Edin jeans when she attended Nell McCafferty's book launch in the Shelbourne Hotel last Tuesday.

The slim brunette, 43, was the perfect model to debut the jeans, which were a black, tight-fitting boot-cut pair.

Ali told a friend: "I'm celebrating the start-up of the fashion line. These jeans are just as nice as any designer pair of jeans, and yet there is the added bonus of knowing that they are fair trade. And there's a whole collection to choose from."

Those close to Ali say she set up the brand to help drive sweatshops out of fashion. The promotion of fair trade is something about which she and Bono, her husband of 22 years, are both very passionate.

Bono hinted at her plans in an interview earlier this year, when he said: "Right now she's looking at a new way of doing business in apparel. It may be one of the biggest brands in the next few years, so watch out."

The fair trade method of business is supported by a number of high-profile celebrities, including Coldplay's Chris Martin and his actress wife Gwyneth Paltrow.

It involves using practices in which people in the Third World are paid properly and receive health insurance.

Money raised from Ali's Edin brand will go back to the fair trade workers who made the clothes. If profit margins allow, some of the money made will also go to the Chernobyl Children's Project, which was founded by Ali's close friend and fellow charity worker Adi Roche.

Ali's brand is an independent venture and is not linked to either the U.K. Fairtrade company, which produces fairly traded edible goods, or the CCP.

Ali is no stranger to charity fashion projects, having been a key player in the Brown Thomas international fashion shows, where she raised hundreds of thousands of euro for charity.

Despite being married to the world's biggest rock star, Ali has kept a low profile since her marriage to Bono in 1982. She spends most of her time looking after their four children and focusing on her charity work.>>

I support fair trade goods and I also support capitalism. Will have to see the clothes before I decide if I buy. Does anyone have pictures of her wearing the jeans?

i support the idea...wonder who the designer is...why is it a mystery?... :unsure: :huh:

Originally posted by Spacemiu@Nov 10 2004, 10:07 PM
That's good, i'm a suporter of fair trade goods.
[snapback]426689[/snapback]​
me too :flower:
I wish they'd name the designer though :blush:

Originally posted by softgrey@Nov 11 2004, 08:33 AM
i support the idea...wonder who the designer is...why is it a mystery?... :unsure: :huh:
[snapback]427027[/snapback]​
For the suspense :rolleyes:

Don't have a pic of Ali in the jeans, but of pic of her, nonetheless:
2003-02-28t195556z_01_par09d_rtridsp_2_france.jpg

What a great idea. I support this direction so much. Hopefully this opens up a world of possibility for fair trade in general.

The 'ethical consumer' movement

I realised there are no threads at tfs devoted to fair trade fashion. some of it can border on being a bit plain, but there is some lovely and unique stuff out there if you really look. it's for a really good cause that is very much worth supporting... ^_^

if anyone knows of any other places where you can buy fair trade fashion, please post them here. :flower:

- edited to add that since this is a growing movement in fashion, I'm moving this thread to trendspotting so we can discuss this as a broader topic. ^_^

people tree - http://www.ptree.co.uk/

m25.jpg
m29.jpg

m23.jpg
m18.jpg

Tue30thNov20040359pm.jpg
L135-811b.jpg

tearcraft - http://www.tearcraft.org/ (not very much...but they tend to have quite a lot of celtic themed things)

2110402_B.jpg
2080407_B.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
some very nice things... and for a great cause. thank for sharing :smile:

There is a chain Ten Thousand Villages which is all free trade products. They have some fashions, but lots of jewelry and other crafts (dishware, furniture,etc).

^ I've never heard of them, but checked them out online. it seems like mostly house-y stuff, they look like they have some really cool jewellry. a couple of offerings:

1300030W0.jpg

1300070W0.jpg

This is a great thread utopia, thank you for starting it :heart:

I think Bono's line Edun belongs here: www.edun.ie
No e-store, but there is a list of stockists and pictures of the collection. (You can buy some of it online at saksfifthavenue.com and barneys.com, btw)

American Apparel. Although I hear they did try to stop the workers from unionising :innocent:

ah thanks for posting the edun link, droogist! :heart: the photos are fantastic...I like how it sort of draws away from the 'hippie' stereotype that fair trade/environmentally friendly clothing traditionally has. the hippie stuff is great but it won't necessarily appeal to the general masses...this stuff is being marketed at saks, barney's, etc, so there's a really good opportunity to create a broader audience for fair trade clothing. :D

some pics of the stuff from http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/

Edun_Inspiration_95c16.jpg

E0477387361947_91ef2.jpg

V0477387362050_922d1.jpg

the jeans look really nice. prices are definitely on the high end for fair trade clothing - ^ $80 just for the wee camisole!!

faust said:
American Apparel. Although I hear they did try to stop the workers from unionising :innocent:
Union-busting aside (didn't know about that so I won't comment on it :ninja:), American Apparel, with their anti-sweatshop policy, practices ethical labour but not fair trade. Fair trade refers specifically to the practice of buying goods from small-scale producers in third world countries at prices guaranteed to cover the costs of production.

utopia, I agree, it's a relief to finally see some de-hippified fair-trade clothing. The Edun prices don't really bother me (too much), they may be high for fair-trade but are pretty typical for the "contempory apparel" bracket that the line's marketed in. And I suppose that I might even feel a bit good spending $165 on a pair of jeans when they're fair trade (as opposed to just feeling liking an idiot, which would be the normal scenario :lol:).

^ yeah that's what I was thinking - I'd feel a lot less guilty about spending that much on a pair of jeans knowing that it was fair trade.

I know companies like Nike, and even Gap, haven't had a good reputation on how they have treated their workers, but I was wondering whether any "fashion houses/Companies" have been know to treat people bad. It would be brilliant if Galliano or McQueen said that all the fabrics they use and the people who make clothes had to do with fair trade. Imagine a fairtrade stamp on a bag!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nise
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->