Fair Trade Clothing Brands & Human Rights ... the Ethical Consumer Movement

Here's a new interview from People Tree. Emma Watson is being interviewed by People Tree director, Safia Minney. It's a very moving interview that really educates people who are unfamiliar with why Fair Trade fashion is so important.

It's really sad that these workers have to live in these conditions when they work SO hard. All people have to do to help them is buy the clothes that they work so hard to make. Like Emma said, who wouldn't want to own a piece of clothing that special??

It's definitely a cause I support and I really admire Emma for bringing attention to it.

snitchseeker.com

Well i think that a big part of a "fair fashion" is also to make it "closer" from buyers. I mean, everybody in hte world wanna buy D&G clothes. Something good would be a local production : it will reduce transport and, indeed, pollution, and be a good solution for Labour world troubles we know. but maybe it's a bit utopist...
i'm also afraid that brands abuse of "fair" trade in order to increase their profits. I'd like to know how much of the price will go to ppl who make clothes by their hands, especially in china...

The Adam Smith Institute prepared a report a few years ago suggesting that Fare Trade damages the people it claims to help by making them reliant on the subsidies generated by the high prices that people are charged for these products.

Obviously I am not in favour of "sweat shop" labour but there is always the law of unintended consequences to think of.

Here is a quote from prof Michael Munger;

"Fair trade" raises costs to consumers. Worse, it enslaves the people it claims to help, with the invisible chains of artificial subsidy, and arrested economic development.

^ Enslaves, my a$$. That's right, we should leave everyone right where they are, unemployed, starving, uneducated, because that is, what, natural?!?! I'd like for these think tank a$$holes to go live in this natural, unenslaved, unarrested manner for a few years, and then let's talk (assuming they make it out alive, that is).

here is an example of an ethical company in the US employing americans with a wage above minimum wage and free childcare. it looks like it might expand rapidly.

A fine weave of family, work

Lowell firm’s mission: jobs, day care for single mothers

On a small factory floor in Lowell,Tameria Lanier is stitching together a new life.

For the first time in three years, Lanier has a full-time job, an apartment, and someone to look after her two young boys when she is at work. The 23-year-old single mother has rekindled dreams of becoming a fashion designer.

Lanier credits her turnaround largely to her new employer, a start-up clothing factory called MoJo. The business pays workers over $10 an hour, provides health care and career training, and — most important for a single mother — covers the entire cost of child care.

MoJo, short for Moms and Jobs, is no big-government spending project or private charity. It’s a for-profit company that sells apparel to campuses, corporations, and consumers with a stated goal to improve the lives of single mothers, who are disproportionately represented among the poor.

MoJo’s business model: Do well by doing good.

MoJo, which has been operating for six months, expects to generate $3.7 million in sales in its first full year of business. The company has already scored contracts to produce jackets for Fortune 500 businesses like Accenture and Morgan Stanley, college fleeces for Big East schools, such as Syracuse, and blankets for the Dave Matthews Band and other musicians under the Red Light Management music label.

These deals mean success for more than just the company.

“It feels good that I can manage it on my own,’’ said Lanier, who last had a job in 2007 and spent several months last year living in a homeless shelter.

By the end of the year, MoJo hopes to open factories in struggling cities beyond Lowell, which was once a thriving textile center. The company plans to bring its model of manufacturing across the country to Detroit, Oakland, and New Orleans, cities where nearly half of single-mother households live below the poverty line. MoJo has already contacted two factories in Fall River. Its main condition is that the operators abide by MoJo’s model, such as paying more than minimum wage and covering child-care expenses, which can cost around $40 a day per child.

“We thought that perhaps we could launch a sustainable, for-profit company to attack the root causes and see if we could be successful at building a really big company,’’ said Tom Aley, who cofounded MoJo with his twin brother, Darr Aley, after selling their Maynard software company.

“If we could deliver child-care coverage plus career services and provide a steppingstone for people on or near the welfare line, perhaps we could help provide a more sustainable livelihood and perhaps a chance at a new career. And a better opportunity for the children.’’

It is an approach to business that some analysts suggest might help redefine capitalism by connecting company success with social progress.

Other entrepreneurs have started businesses in recent years with the aim of generating profits and using the proceeds to address social problems. For every pair of sneakers it sells, Santa Monica, Calif.-based Toms Shoes donates another pair to children in developing countries to combat diseases transmitted by bare feet. Two Degrees, a San Francisco health food company with an office in Boston, sends a nutrition pack to a hungry child abroad for every nutrition bar it sells.

Harvard Business School professor Michael E. Porter, in his recent front-page report in Harvard Business Review, wrote that a change is clearly needed in the current economic recovery, in which rising corporate profits have done little to offset high unemployment, local business distress, and severe pressures on community services.

MoJo executives are quick to note that although they encourage single mothers to apply for jobs, they do not discriminate in their hiring practices. Cara Aley — Tom and Darr’s sister, and MoJo’s chief operating officer — said men work at all levels of the organization. The company has 21 employees, including 16 women, and the company expects its staff to grow to 160 by the end of the year. In Lowell, MoJo works with social service agencies to recruit prospective employees, offer them sewing training programs, and find them child care.

“We simply think that as a private business with a social conscience, we can go the extra step to ensure that single mothers have an option,’’ Cara Aley said.

Felicia Crawson needed that option. The 25-year-old single mother received an associate’s degree in fashion design but her career plan was derailed after she had two children.

MoJo has allowed Crawson to give up her job working the 4 p.m.-to-10 p.m. shift at UPS, where she made about $11 an hour loading trucks and sorting packages — hours she had taken because she was able to find someone to watch her two daughters for free.

“I couldn’t afford day care,’’ said Crawson, who in just six months has worked her way up to MoJo’s operations supervisor and now earns $14 an hour. “I have a lot of friends who are single parents and they are jealous.’’

The Aleys say the seeds for MoJo were probably planted decades ago, when their mother struggled to raise their younger siblings after a divorce. Tom Aley — a father of three — said the more recent inspiration came from research he did to better understand the causes of homelessness, especially among children.

Aley said he realized single moms who earn minimum wage are often trapped in a cycle of poverty because they do not make enough money to pay for child care. Many barely scrape by or give up jobs to stay at home with their children.

To make MoJo happen, the Aleys have put a lot on the line. The brothers are not taking salaries, and are spending thousands of dollars of their own money each month to help run the company. But they do not intend to make MoJo their personal charity. The brothers, who are using funds from the sale of their software company, are trying to raise more capital from other socially minded investors and plan to hire a chief executive to oversee operations.

By the end of the year, they expect MoJo to break even.

The benefits that MoJo provides its employees come at a cost: Prices for MoJo products are slightly higher in some cases, compared to similar apparel. But Darr Aley said he hopes companies and consumers are willing to pay a little more to support a domestic manufacturer that offers workers fair wages and quality benefits.

“Give America back its mojo, if you will,’’ he said.

MoJo has been embraced on university campuses, where students have protested the use of overseas sweatshops to produce collegiate apparel. The company’s approach also appeals to major corporations that seek to contribute to society — and improve their reputations.

MoJo’s products are made from premium fabrics, like Polartec fleece, and include large tags that promote the brand. On college campuses, the company has displays and posters marketing the mission of MoJo with its merchandise.

Staples Inc., the office-supply giant, is one company that sees the value of MoJo. The Framingham-based retailer sells apparel with corporate logos to companies around the world, including more than 40 percent of the Fortune 1000 companies. The majority of the clothing it sells is produced overseas, but after visiting MoJo’s Lowell factory, Staples decided to offer MoJo products, which are about 20 percent more expensive, compared to the imported apparel.

“It’s a little more money than the other apparel but it’s a more quality product,’’ said Rich Witaszak, general manager for Staples Advantage’s promotional products business.

The MoJo concept has also caught the attention of several leading musicians, who will be featuring MoJo products during their summer tours, said Bruce Flohr, an executive at Red Light Management, which represents over 100 musical acts, including Dave Matthews Band, Faith Hill, Tim McGraw, and Ben Harper. Some celebrities will design signature products exclusively for MoJo, he said, adding that it is too early to provide details.

“Everyone is out there trying to make tours green and do good things. MoJo digs down to the level of fixing a problem and giving people back their dignity,’’ Flohr said.

(boston.com)

The Adam Smith Institute prepared a report a few years ago suggesting that Fare Trade damages the people it claims to help by making them reliant on the subsidies generated by the high prices that people are charged for these products.

Obviously I am not in favour of "sweat shop" labour but there is always the law of unintended consequences to think of.

Here is a quote from prof Michael Munger;

"Fair trade" raises costs to consumers. Worse, it enslaves the people it claims to help, with the invisible chains of artificial subsidy, and arrested economic development.

Yep, exactly like the oil companies, who are enslaved by the people who demand oil, and big agriculture, forced to grow corn and wheat that people don't need by the invisible chains of government subsidy. Their economic development is definitely arrested! They would be better off without our money. :lol:

^ I'm doing my best to free the oil companies :lol: Corn is a bit more of a challenge ... as you may know, when they analyze an American human body, it's basically made of corn. (Not sure how they do it ... :huh:) Corn that fed the cattle, who made the hamburgers and milk, corn that fed the chickens who made the McNuggets ...

Don't forget High Fructose Corn Syrup, which makes its way into an astonishing array of foods. But we digress...

I am in favor of fair trade in principle. And I confess I haven't read the whole thread. At the risk of repeating something already said, there is a tension between wanting to promote fair trade and the realities of a shrunken economy. If you are already strapped for cash, how much more will you pay to follow through on your principles? This is a balance that everyone has to come to terms with if they want to support fair trade.

^ So far I have been going largely with my principles & making do with less. When you start buying a certain way it becomes an ingrained habit ... I would have to make a major effort to change now. I wish there were more information about how clothes are made. Obviously nothing good is happening at Forever 21, but there's no guarantee that the upscale things you buy are really made well, unless you happen to know a lot about the company (Bottega, etc.).

I got my mother's husband fair trade/organic coffee for Christmas, and mentioned it was fair trade. My mother said, Isn't most coffee fair trade now? I probably got a look like this on my face :blink: Uh no, that's why they have a fair trade mark ...

^ I'm doing my best to free the oil companies :lol: Corn is a bit more of a challenge ... as you may know, when they analyze an American human body, it's basically made of corn. (Not sure how they do it ... :huh:) Corn that fed the cattle, who made the hamburgers and milk, corn that fed the chickens who made the McNuggets ...

Interesting! According to the mayan "bible" (Popul Voh) God created humans out of maize (corn). Nowadays some clothing manufacturers produce eco-friendly garments out of corn!

^ Unfortunately, unless it's organic corn, that's not very eco-friendly. Corn is the most receptive crop to petroleum-based fertilizers, but it's less efficient to make things from petroleum-based corn than from petroleum itself.

Is this where we'd talk about the incredible increase in Fur and reptile skins in Fall 2010-11 RTW lines? Or is there another thread?

^ Oh, there's a fur thread all right--it's in Personal Style. I'm sure there's also a fur thread in the trend forum. I would think this would be the place if you specifically want to talk about fair trade aspects of fur and skins ...

Hi ! Well I didn't read the whole thread (yet) but I thought I could share some link and if you haven't, please check Livia Firth thread over ! She did a great job at giving more exposure to "high" fair trade/eco designers during her green carpet challenge here is her blog!

Some links :
That's where I buy most of myhats
A great initiative by the british fashion council
If you live in France/can pop up in Paris for quick not so expensive clothes
I am in love with some of their jackets
Eco stiletto
Eco fabulous
Ecouterre

Some really interesting blogs/website in order to learn a little more about the while "eco thing" :smile:
Labour behind the labels
Green is sexy

I am so glad I was able to join TFS today! Looking forward some really great discussions :smile:

Ethical Clothing Renaissance?

Hey, ethical and green fashionistas!

Retail Week (an influential british trade magazine) has amazing great news for all the people working in the ethical clothing industry not only in the UK but also around the world! Why? Because the UK ethical clothing industry is pretty "mature" to be considered a role-model for other countries to follow-up to start and grow their ethical fashion industries.

According to Retail 2011 (an UK retail analysis report you can buy in their site) "for fashion shoppers there is a move towards quality items that can be worn with a variety of outfits. Product remains central to clothing retailers’ success, and there is some evidence that consumers’ love affair with value fashion* is waning".

*Value fashion = fast fashion

Sounds great, right?! :woot: This is the first time we have some positive signals since last global recession started (end of 2007) :P Back then analysts, and industry insiders believed ethical would surge favoured by consumers looking for investment clothing. :D But quite the opposite happened when fashion value retailers absorbed most of consumer spendings with their cheap offerings. :doh:

Anyway, I wonder how much the increases in cotton in Asia are distorting/affecting these signals. :blink:

^ So what is the evidence? I have definitely seen these ideas getting some press, and I thought that the Celine-led trend toward 'quality basics' was interesting ... would like to hear more about the evidence they cite.

***I must say that calling fast fashion 'value fashion' is both :yuk: and :sick:

^ So what is the evidence? I have definitely seen these ideas getting some press, and I thought that the Celine-led trend toward 'quality basics' was interesting ... would like to hear more about the evidence they cite.

***I must say that calling fast fashion 'value fashion' is both :yuk: and :sick:

I don't about the evidence which I'd also like to know more about it. Although here's a clue "Retail 2011 is an exclusive report which comprehensively defines the state of the UK retail industry today. It is informed by testimony from 25 chief executives and board-level directors, from the largest UK retail brands" (Retail Week 2011, special offer price for subscribers £598 (VAT included)).

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not agree with ASI's report on 'Fair Trade' being more damaging.

Subsidiaries would be bad if everyone stopped using them. American and European farmers get subsidiaries (massive ones too) from the goverments to make their cotton & veg. crops competitive with the Asian competitors. Adam Smith Insititute should be talking about remove those subsidiaries first before the 'fair trade' ones.

^ And before they talk about removing that, they should remove their heads from a certain orifice ... ^_^ Can you imagine if you got paid to think, and that's the drivel you came up with? :rolleyes:

There are a number of lines that I know are made well in terms of labor ... I just wish I found them more aesthetically appealing. What we need is Rugmark for the fashion industry ...

^ And before they talk about removing that, they should remove their heads from a certain orifice ... ^_^ Can you imagine if you got paid to think, and that's the drivel you came up with? :rolleyes:

There are a number of lines that I know are made well in terms of labor ... I just wish I found them more aesthetically appealing. What we need is Rugmark for the fashion industry ...

I hear ya sister!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Realktz
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"